• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Odyssey System -- Stripped-down Hot Rod d20 rules

GreatLemur

Explorer
GMSkarka said:
As I said, we're arguing about this one. The question is whether or not there's enough there for two Abilities, whether we should be splitting Wisdom into two abilities (Perception and Willpower, forgoing the "Wisdom" title, entirely), or just leaving it as is.
I know I'm late to the party, here, but I have to say that this is exactly how I'd do it. For the most part, the whole list of things you've got planned for Odyssey sounds great to me, but the mention of both Wisdom and a Perception ability in your initial post really jumped out at me as illogical. I strongly support replacing Wisdom and Charisma with Perception and Willpower, Unisystem-style.

Wisdom has typically been the absolute worst-defined ability score in D&D, and Charisma got pretty hazy in 3e, too. Junking those two and repartitioning the associated dependencies into an arrangement that better suits the needs of the game would make for a much better d20 system. Overcoming enchantments, powering magic or psychic abilities, haggling for a better deal in the marketplace, maintaining focus through physical discomfort, convincing others of your sincerity? That's all Willpower. Eavesdropping on a conversation, following tracks, gauging the truth in another's words, finding a clue, reacting first to a threat, contacting higher powers? That's Perception. (Hell, I'd even make a case that Perception could cover certain types of ranged attacks, and thus allow Dexterity to handle all other attack rolls without getting unbalanced, but that's another subject all together.)

I'll also add my name to the list of those who aren't so sure about getting rid of skills. Not so sure. I'll have to see how the Occupations and Edges end up working. If they're flexible and SotC-style enough, I'll definitely buy that they could be far better than skills.

Everything else is sounding really, really great. At this rate, Odyssey might be the system that keeps me from having to do my own post-D&D4e d20 hack.

GMSkarka

Explorer
Brutorz Bill said:
Will your Mars RPG be updated for this new system? I just discovered the Mars RPG, I really like it! Hope to see more support for it!

Possibly -- we definitely need to do something with MARS, because, bluntly, the straight OGL version isn't selling as well as we had hoped.

Brutorz Bill

First Post
GMSkarka said:
Possibly -- we definitely need to do something with MARS, because, bluntly, the straight OGL version isn't selling as well as we had hoped.

Sorry to hear that. It's a great game. I dug out my old Dungeon with Iron Lords of Jupiter for additional ideas to add to the setting.

Emryys

Explorer
GMSkarka said:

Perhaps take a page from GR - Freeport and make Savage Mars! :)

Am looking forward to what you come up with for the Odyssey system...

GMSkarka

Explorer
Tim Gray said:
What's the current situation re content, ETA, etc?

Decided to slow down a bit through June -- mostly so we could see how the 4E Juggernaut affects the market. The last thing we want to do is throw this out there and have it go unnoticed because everybody is purchasing, playing and talking about The New Hotness (tm).

Tim Gray

First Post
GMSkarka said:
Decided to slow down a bit through June -- mostly so we could see how the 4E Juggernaut affects the market. The last thing we want to do is throw this out there and have it go unnoticed because everybody is purchasing, playing and talking about The New Hotness (tm).
Makes sense.

Razuur

First Post
There are those of us though who are quite cool towards the 'New Hotness" and have no intention of every playing it.

We are looking for a place to spend our dollars...

Razuur

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads