The old Man and the sky

S

Stardust

As demetrious collapses to the floor, the Tavern at large takes no particular notice, except for a lithe elf sitting a short way away, sipping at a drink in a small goblet. His sensetive ears twitch a little and immediately he is on his feet, flowing like water through the crowds between him and the fallen messenger

Kneeling by Demetrious, he gestures oddly and begins to sing in a low mumbling voice. Pulling a small dagger from a pocket within his clothing, he pricks his own finger. Blood spills and winds in a strange pattern through the air towards the unconscious human. As the trail reaches the man, it seems to dissolve into his skin, improving the complexion as it does so.

After a few moments, the flow of blood stops. The elf holds his breath and waits...

E

eriwoj

The elf throws himself to the floor as Demetrious falls and catches his head in one hand before it can hit the floor. He gently allows his head to rest on the floor, and then rolls the man's body on to his side. Another elf approaches and begins weaving some magic.

"I do not believe that was nessicary, good cousin," he comments still kneeling near the unconcious Demetrious.

E

Eminenz

The old man raises an eyebrow as he watches the scenary,he turns and takes a closer look at the two.

"......do you need help?"

His face seems to be frozen after he spoke,emotionless and somehow sad...

"I might be able to help......"

E

eriwoj

"All is under control, but thank you anyhow for offering assistance, sir," the elf looks up towards the old man shaking a few strands of loose hair from his face as he does.

D

Demetrious

Demetrious awakes slowly, groaning slightly at first and shifting around. With a sudden,violent rapidity, however, he awakens as one hand flashes to the empty scabbord at his waist and another comes to rest on the handle of a dagger. Preciving his situation, Demetrious slowly relaxes his guard. The two elves help him to his feet as he shakes his head to clear away his exaustion.

As he pulls his rapier out of the floor and returns it to his scabbord, he speaks to Eriwoj, "Thank you, master elf, for your kind assistance." He then notices Stardust and his pricked finger.

"Ah!" Demetrious exclaims with delight. "I presume my improved state has something to do with your efforts? Most excellent magic, I must assume. You must share a mug of ale with me afterword and discuss that spell with me, whatever one it was you used to heal me." Demetrious's voice betrays an almost boylike excitement, and his eyes shine with curiosity. The finely tuned senses of the elves detect a faint electric hum on the air that is gone as soon as it is felt.

Demetrious's sudden boyant attitude dissolves as his phyisical state catches up with him. Thanks to Stardust's spell, however, he is nowhere near fainting as he did before.

"Gentelmen," Demetrious adresses the small group, drawing his rapier slowly as he does, "If you would not mind, there is a small concern that I would like to discuss with you all. Demetrious deftly flips the rapier over in his hand, catching the middle of the blade between thumb and forefinter. With his free hand, he points
to the black blood on the end of the weapon. "And it concerns the creature that shed this blood."

E

eriwoj

"I have no interest in anyone's blood. Now if you will excuse me, I wish to speak with the elder gentle man here for a bit. Enjoy your ale I will join you shortly."

The elf rises to his feet and returns to the old man's side.

D

Demetrious

A sudden flare of anger flashes across Demetrious's face and is gone as soon as it came. He shrugs in a casual manner.

"I almost died at the hands of the creature who's blood is on my blade. And considering the attack only came after it discovered to whom the letter was adressed...." he lets the statement trail off.

"I shall leave you to your own devices."

He turns to Stardust.

"Now, I have failed to thank you for your aid. Just a minute, my good elf, I might have something that should cheer you...." Demetrious's voice trails away as he starts rummaging through his pack.

S

Stardust

The newcomer watches demetrious begin to search his pack, but remains silent and gazes fixedly at the blood upon the blade of the rapier. With what almost seems like a smirk, he again begins to gesture with his hands. Then, still staring at the dried black blood, he rasps a few harsh syllables.

The blood upon the blade floats slowly into the air. Writhing and twisting, it comes together and slowly, very slowly, begins to form a shape.

He waits...

E

eriwoj

"What do you make of this?" he says holding the letter out to the old man, then askes, "Do I, of all elves, look like a warrior?"

He looks himself over finding no sword at his hip, no shield on his arm nor helmet crowning his head, no armor at all to speak of. He carried a small dagger, but it was for self defense only and that was only a last resort.

"Unless . . ." his voice trails off in thought as he awaits the old man's reply.

D

Demetrious

"Ah ha!"

Demetrious pulls out a rectangular wooden box out of his pack and hastily opens it, reavealing a beautiful wooden flute. He quickly assembles it and is turning to Stardust when he sees the black shape hovering in the air.

The black shape in the air had formed itself into the likeness of a creature with the head and torso of a person, but with the lower body and legs of a gigantic spider.

Demetrious is still holding the flute, but his attention is riveted on the black shape hovering in the air. He nods once. "That's it. That's the creature. I have only heard of such creatures once before."

Remove ads