• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Old School: AD&D 1e

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
Amirad attacks the darkness with his torch!

(sorry couldn't resist. Seriously though what do we see in the big chamber?)

PolterGhost

First Post
Mulling over Amirad's speech in his head, Maruial could only find his eyes and words directed toward's the human's skull.
"Rousing chatter, sir paladin," Maruial spoke with a pout, "While I do admire the flattery, I believe we were attempting a silent approach through this passage."

He continued solemnly forward, following behind the paladin and dwarf, making sure to keep himself within distance of the chamber's entrance so as to offer protection to the least combat-able druidess. Funny that- she was taller and more solidly built than Maruial could ever hope to be, and yet he was the one who took combat training.

"You know," Maruial spoke aloud to himself, "Where there were rats before there are bound to be more. Perhaps I should take a bit more care..."
His eyes were drawn to the ground, and his old instincts began to settle in. Most of his archery training, as well as a bit of biology and anatomy, was as a hunter back home. Where the Old School taught him swordplay and how to kill a man at fifty meters with a single arrow, it was his family that gave him the practical knowledge to handle himself outside of soldiering.

There had to be some sort of sign of creatures nearby- droppings, perhaps? Scratches in the walls, footprints in the ground, even the remnants of a meal or a bit of shedding hair could give the slightest information he needed.

Last edited:

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Amirad steps forward toward the chamber ahead, and wrinkles his nose reflexively at the stench of decay. Maruial notes that the worms, centipedes, beetles, and millipedes have increased, as if drawn to the chamber by the horrendous smell of death.

The mine cart tracks end, unfinished, in the room. A cart appears to have fallen off the end of the tracks, and rests, upturned, the putrid corpses of two unfortunate miners lying on the ground. The chamber appears to have been hastily excavated, the mine shaft's walls flaring outward like a rough-hewn triangle. A number of small round tunnels, perhaps a meter across, extend from these side walls. At the far end of the chamber, the rough triangle is completed with a crumbling stucco wall. Bas-relief figures depicting a battle between blue archers and black knights cover the wall, and a small section of the bas-relief has fallen off onto the floor, showing a further space behind it.

The two unfortunate miners let out a disgusting, sputtering moan, as the rise to their feet.

PolterGhost

First Post
OOC: Hey, shouldn't you roll for surprise?

From where he was standing, Maruial could only obtain a glimpse of the room's features. He could make out the reliefs from where he stood, and if the Veteran part of his mind didn't hold him back to act as a shield for his slightly-frailer allies he would have admired the piece and tried to make sense of it. Of course, that's if he had the stomach to walk past the vermin surrounding him. Honestly, things that crawl were always going to be creepy, nobody could deny that.

As it was, he couldn't clearly see the tunnels or the picture from where he stood, but he could smell something off-putting. And that weird sort of moan that echoed towards him. And where did those two men come from, and how come they didn't look like they weren't doing so hot?

"Austin," Maruial spoke, turning his head as he placed a hand upon his sword's hilt.
"There's some men here. They look a little too close to death, and possibly past even that. A bit of help!"

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Austin hears Maruias and turns to mve that way, "Too close to death and past ...Oh!" He checks to ensure he has his mace.

actions: looking for somewhere to be a good wall sconce to stuff the torch, then draw mace and prepare to attack.

Rhun

First Post
Turthain wastes no time, and from his position at the rear of the group, he launches a pair of arrows at one of the walking dead.

OOC: If I remember correctly, a Longbow has a Rate of Fire of 2, ao Turthain can fire two arrows. Right? At +1 to-hit because of his 16 DEX.

Remove ads