• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Old Strength System (Question)

amazingshafeman

First Post
Yep, Gauntlets of Ogre Power was 18/00. I had a fighter whose guantlets were fused/melted into his flesh, but I don't remember why. I'm thinking it something to do with training a baby black dragon... Ah, how I miss the days of just making up rules. Of course, when your 14, reality doesn't interfere with game play as much.

XO

First Post
AD&D Strength

1) It was a slash (though you can use whatever you want as long as you understand yourself)

2) "Add 2 to STR" ??? None of the original races add a +2 mod. Technically, to get to Str 19 using a +2 mod, you would need to have 18/91-99 to start with...

3) Some people seem to be short on memory regarding AD&D PHB Strength Table 1, where racial maxima were clearly stated (and females had lower maxima than men.... Oooooooh, wow.... Realism !)

4) The HG Belt was the Str 19 item

5) Finally, the reason why everyone was so fired up about % Str was that in my campaign, there was a SINGLE pair of Gauntlets of Ogre Strength (and the pair was split). There were no "I'll get that Staff of Power for you, but it'll take at least 2 weeks" shops, and making magic items required a 16 level magic-user, and gettign there was looooong.... Painful... years of play.... And yes, we did it !

Last edited:

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
(grins evilly)

18/51 Strength (+ 2 to hit, + 3 to damage)
Double specialization, long sword (+ 3 to hit, + 3 to damage, increased attacks to 3 attacks/2 rounds)
7th level fighter (increased attacks to 2/1)
Weapon in both hand (doubled attacks at - 2 / - 4, but with 17 dexterity, that drops to 0 / - 2, increased attacks to 4/1)
Haste 2nd Edition (doubles attacks, attacks increased to 8/1)

4 attacks per round, right hand. + 5 to hit, + 6 to damage per attack (long sword damage is 7 to 14 points per strike)
4 attacks per round, left hand, + 3 to hit, + 6 to damage.
Total damage that can be inflicted per round is (7 to 14) x 8 = 56 to 112.

(fighter gains + 3 long sword, gains Gauntlets of Ogre Power, mage casts Haste on him again)

4 attacks per round, right hand, + 6 to hit, + 9 to damage per attack (long sword damage is 10 to 17 points per strike)
4 attacks per round, left hand, + 4 to hit, + 9 to damage.
Total damage that can be inflicted per round is (10 to 17) x 8 = 80 to 136.

(fighter gains + 5 long sword, girdle of giant strength: strength 24, gaunlets of dexterity 19. Fighter reaches 14th level. Fighter is again Hasted.)

Base attacks: 2 per round.
With Double Specialization: 5 attacks per two rounds.
With both hands: 5 attacks per round.
With Haste: 10 attacks per round.

Rolls are: + 6 to hit, + 12 to damage for Girdle.
Rolls are: + 5 to hit, + 5 to damage for long sword.
Rolls are adjusted: 0 for main hand, - 1 for off-hand, for two weapon fighting.

5 attacks per round right hand. To hit bonus + 11, damage bonus + 17. Sword damage is 18 to 25 per successful strike.
5 attacks per round left hand. To hit bonus + 10, damage bonus + 17. Sword damage is 18 to 25.
Total damage that can be inflicted per round: (18 to 25) x 10 = 180 to 250 points of damage.

Last edited:

Panask

First Post
My first REAL character - by which I mean the first character I rolled up and designed all by myself, with nobody guiding me through the process, after I had finally mastered the rules - was a dwarf fighter named Gorin with an 18.99 Str. I just loved that little guy!

I happen to think the current system makes much more sense, and would never suggest it would be good to go back. But I remember it fondly. That's what makes nostalgia nostalgia.

Panask
Servitar to Baldur

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads