• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Once-a-Month Blues

Kuld

Explorer
I run a once-a-month campaign with a group of long time friends. Even though they all really want to play, sometimes it seems like I am the only one who puts any effort in it. We all have pretty busy lives (Careers, families, children etc...) and it is not uncommon to miss a game or two, in fact it is expected. But I can tell you that I know for certain that their lives aren’t any busier than mine and probably less so (just from sheer volume of responsibilities). Now, I am sorry for sounding so bitter, but I’m genuinely upset.

In order to play OUR game I must drive from San Diego to San Bernardino (120 miles from door to door) and I must spend some time getting things ready to play (DM). Also, I am a daddy, so there’s no spending the night at the friend’s house. I must make the return trip home (wife’s rules).

This month I was out to sea, so it was my fault, but I coordinated it with everyone. Last month, however, only one person made it (the person whose house we were going play in). This was after weeks of planning. One player’s absence was totally understandable; in fact I would have been upset if he did show up. His wife had just had a baby. But one player in particular really upset me. I called this individual on my way to Berdo and he said that he may be a little late, which was fine. Then I called him about three hours later and he said that he was picking fantasy football characters and would be there shortly, which was fine too. Then a few hours later I called him again, and he said that he was almost finished and he would be there as soon as possible. Ok. That was the last we heard from him. He never called; he never said “Hey, go ahead and start with out me.” This is the one guy out of our group who is not married and does not have any children. All he does is work ONE 8-hour/day job and plays video games. Man, wouldn’t that be nice!

Ok, I think I’m done with my rant.

Thanks for listening.

Mystery Man

First Post
Kuld said:
I
This month I was out to sea, so it was my fault, but I coordinated it with everyone. Last month, however, only one person made it (the person whose house we were going play in). This was after weeks of planning. One player’s absence was totally understandable; in fact I would have been upset if he did show up. His wife had just had a baby. But one player in particular really upset me. I called this individual on my way to Berdo and he said that he may be a little late, which was fine. Then I called him about three hours later and he said that he was picking fantasy football characters and would be there shortly, which was fine too. Then a few hours later I called him again, and he said that he was almost finished and he would be there as soon as possible. Ok. That was the last we heard from him. He never called; he never said “Hey, go ahead and start with out me.” This is the one guy out of our group who is not married and does not have any children. All he does is work ONE 8-hour/day job and plays video games. Man, wouldn’t that be nice!

Ok, I think I’m done with my rant.

Thanks for listening.

As for that guy I would call him and wish him luck finding a new group to play in. But you mean to tell me that no one showed?

Kuld

Explorer
Mystery Man said:
But you mean to tell me that no one showed?

Nope. But we had fun just the two of us. So my trip wasn't all for nothing.

KenM said:
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was about another type of "monthly blues".

That was on purpose ;)

IronWolf

blank
I would seriously consider having a sit-down (perhaps via email or phone) and see how serious everyone is about the game. It just might be time to start a new group, perhaps one closer to home as that might allow you to game every other week. Gaming every other week versus once a month makes an occasional miss here or there not quite as painful.

JoeBlank

Explorer
There is another ongoing thread about how much time people devote to game preparation, with some making note of how we parents budget our time v. how single guys manage theirs.

But I think everyone is in agreement that not showing, without providing some warning, is just plain rude. Especially given the drive that you as a DM must make. One of my current DMs does the same sort of drive about once per month, but we are all careful to work out our game dates ahead of time and to give fair warning if we can not attend (barring emergencies, of course).

Kuld

Explorer
I know I should find a new group. It's just upseting because we've all been friends for so long and I have already put so much time into the campaign. I would like to see it through to the end and I'm the DM. :) Thank you eveyone for all your help.

mythusmage said:
Where in San Diego do you live?

Over the past three years we have lived quite literally all over San Diego County. Now, I'm pretty sure we're happy here in Lakeside (Just east of Santee). Good $ to Square footage ratio ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads