The one night stand culture

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
but no one ever says America is repressive about alcohol and firearms.

Not about firearms, no. You're the world's most gun-happy nation, and proud of it.

Alcohol? If by "no one" you mean "everyone", sure. You're positively paranoid about it. Can't drink till you're 21 (but can vote or give your life in war years before then), ask clearly mature adults for ID to buy alcohol, have a whole "thing" about mixing drinks like kids mixing crayons to make cocktails, developed a whole range of rituals and language to address things which most countries just call "drinking" - you're known the world over for being repressed about alcohol. America is known as a country fascinated with yet utterly repressive about alcohol by - well, 7 billion minus 300M people, whatever that is? 6.7 billion people. Less the super-religious middle eastern people.

Here's a question: is it honestly news to you that the world views your country in these ways? It sounds like it is, but every American I've met has known that (they sometimes disagree, which is fine, but it's never seemed to be actual new information to them).

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Not about firearms, no. You're the world's most gun-happy nation, and proud of it.

Alcohol? If by "no one" you mean "everyone", sure. You're positively paranoid about it. Can't drink till you're 21 (but can vote or give your life in war years before then), ask clearly mature adults for ID to buy alcohol, have a whole "thing" about mixing drinks like kids mixing crayons to make cocktails, developed a whole range of rituals and language to address things which most countries just call "drinking" - you're known the world over for being repressed about alcohol. America is known as a country fascinated with yet utterly repressive about alcohol by - well, 7 billion minus 300M people, whatever that is? 6.7 billion people. Less the super-religious middle eastern people.

Remember that post where I said that America has some hypocrisy/duality isssues?

Alcohol's another one of those.

We don't know how to handle alcohol.

Send an American employee to the French office (say the 2nd largest oil company in the world) .
Take him to the lunch room. Where he's amazed to see caraffes of wine on every table.

The american idiot will drink himself stupid. Never noticing that all the french employees have ONE glass of wine with their meal. The American will then be sent home after lunch, as he is clearly too drunk to work.

A stereotype of americans not practicing moderation, but also a true story and common occurance at said company.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Morrus said:
Nobody is being "restricted"; nobody in this thread has even used that word.
I even quoted Umbran's use of that word in the post you quoted:
Umbran said:
With respect, if you're a male heterosexual monogamist, maybe you're not in the best position to see some of what's going on. You aren't the one who feels their activities are unduly restricted or frowned upon by others.
Bold my own.

you're moving the goalposts and inventing new terms....
We started by talking about a culture of sexually repressed people; an attitude. You moved that to "repression" which is another thing entirely; a collective action.
*I'm* inventing new terms? Seems to me you're inventing new definitions for variations of the same term: repress, repressed, repression, repressive. I even included the definition in one of my posts, yet some apparently keep using it in a different meaning. You're saying that a people can be repressed without the culture having any repression?

Some people here are using repressed to mean less than maximum. Like if France is a 10 on sexual openness, America is repressed because it's an 8.

I didn't bring repression into this conversation. I responded to someone else bringing it in. Check post #7. Others bring in the term, and when I ask why, I'm told that I am the one talking about it? Dude, read all the posts, not just mine. And if you read just mine, at least read the quotes from others that I include. My posts are responses.

I don't think we're all talking about the same thing.
Apparently. I'm responding to specific quotations. You're responding to me as if the quoted posts don't exist.

I think maybe some time spent abroad might help you to understand that basic cultural assumptions are different in different places, and what you see as "the norm" is not the norm anywhere but "the place where I am right now."
I fully understand this. I'm not a yokel. I am not saying that America is completely sexually open with absolutely no hangups at all. I know other cultures have more sexual openness, less sexual hangups. I know this. I think I've even stated this before. But, again, being less open than the most open doesn't make for repression. By your own admission, the UK is less open than France or Brazil. Is the UK sexually repressed?

Hmm. Maybe it's a case of "anything less open than my own culture is repressed." France would say England is sexually repressed. Brazil would say France is sexually repressed. Las Vegas would say everyone is sexually repressed. Maybe it's not an objective scale, but a subjective one based on your own culture. This might be our overall problem in this thread. I've been talking about an objective scale of open--repressive, and you're talking about a subjective scale (anything less open than mine is repressive).

Like I've analogized before, Saturn is not a small planet even though it is smaller than Jupiter. (But maybe Saturn would call Neptune "small"? Would Neptune be right in arguing against the "small" label? What would a passing asteroid say to that?)

Maybe a door would be a better analogy. At what point is a door open or closed. I'd say a door is open if I can get through it without having to move it. (I'd say this is the US, on the topic of sexuality.) A door is closed if I can't get through it without pushing it. My door may be less open than yours, but saying my door is closed is not right.

Iran has been brought up. That is a sexually repressed culture. It is sexually repressive. For instance, people are killed. It's not a matter of just not being as open as France. It's actively *repressive*; it's not just a comparison. (Can't get through the door without pushing it.)

Here's a question: is it honestly news to you that the world views your country in these ways? It sounds like it is, but every American I've met has known that (they sometimes disagree, which is fine, but it's never seemed to be actual new information to them).
No, it is not a surprise that other countries have a mistaken view of America. But it is surprising to essentially be told I should accept those mistaken views because, well, non-Americans believe them.

I don't have the time or stamina to keep up this discussion. But in writing this post, I do think I see the problem in communication. Like I said above, it seems some people are using a subjective scale for calling repression. Any step down from complete sexual openness is repression. Any restriction, like nudity on TV, or prostitution, is repression. I think that is misusing the term, and so misrepresents reality.

[The alcohol thing, yeah, I shouldn't have made that comparison. I don't drink, so I forget the limitations the US has on it.]

Bullgrit

No, it is not a surprise that other countries have a mistaken view of America. But it is surprising to essentially be told I should accept those mistaken views because, well, non-Americans believe them.
If it was only people outside of the U.S. telling you that the U.S. is sexually repressive, you'd have a stronger point, but that's not what's happening. Plenty of people that live within the U.S., that were born in the U.S., that have grin up in the U.S. are telling you the U.S. is sexually repressive. So it's not as wrong a view of the U.S. as you'd like to think.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Again, not at all. I'm really sorry, Bullgrit. I appear to be angering you, and I don't intend to.

Let me reiterate again - I am only pointing out what the external perception is; I'm not qualified to comment on the reality. It may well all be myth or nonsense!

You asked where these views came from and seemed surprised to hear then. I'm trying to explain that they do exist. I'm not trying to vouch for or argue their validity - they may be accurate or they may not; I honestly don't know. But they exist nonetheless. And I understand that you so not agree with them.

As I said when I entered the discussion - we're all often stereotyped, and it's an uncomfortable thing. Fortunately people like you and I (middle aged white males) suffer the least of this out of anybody in the world, and that we do suffer is largely trivial and harmless.

France would say England is sexually repressed.

Oh, I assure you that the French say precisely that.

As I said starting out -- it's all relative. That's an important thing to keep in mind. There aren't any absolute values.

Last edited:

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
You're saying that a people can be repressed without the culture having any repression?
Repression doesn't mean physical violence and/or constraint. It can mean social stigma, like people looking down on you or ignoring you reusing to serve you at a restaurant, etc. It fits with the definition you gave of repression.

Someone quote me cause I think I'm on his ignore list and he thinks repression means physical repression.

Some people here are using repressed to mean less than maximum. Like if France is a 10 on sexual openness, America is repressed because it's an 8.
No one said France was a 10. It just is less repressed than the USA.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Point of order: You cannot convince someone of anything once they very obviously decide to refuse to listen to any points brought up that contradict their beliefs. It's a fun, interesting thread - don't get me wrong - but I think it's pretty apparent that at least one participant has refused to engage. Some offer examples, for instance, that he simply handwaves away. You can't discuss with that.

Remove ads