The Origin of the Gnoll (again)

Clay_More

First Post
Most people seem to think that only male players can be opportunistic and greedy. Actually, the most greedy player I ever had was female, a paladin on top of that. Once, when asked to assist a poor village, she was dissatisfied that they only could offer 200 gold pieces. The spokesman of the poor, peasant village said that it was all they had. She looked around coldly and replied: "Couldn't you just sell something?"

Anyways, seeing how law-suit happy people are these days, ever had problems with any of your monsters? I remember that Lego got sued lately because of their new line of toys were using names that were of Cultural significance to the Maori, ever tried that with a D&D critter?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Clay_More said:
Most people seem to think that only male players can be opportunistic and greedy. Actually, the most greedy player I ever had was female, a paladin on top of that. Once, when asked to assist a poor village, she was dissatisfied that they only could offer 200 gold pieces. The spokesman of the poor, peasant village said that it was all they had. She looked around coldly and replied: "Couldn't you just sell something?"

My female Veshoge Avatar is not of the same mold of most of her race. She is not overly greedy, merely ambitious. To meer her goal in life she needs to return home trailing glorious clouds of fame, with a fortune, and also a human husband of great repute--her Quirk is Humanophilia. That explains why she loves to adventure with a party that is mostly of that race.

Anyways, seeing how law-suit happy people are these days, ever had problems with any of your monsters? I remember that Lego got sued lately because of their new line of toys were using names that were of Cultural significance to the Maori, ever tried that with a D&D critter?

If that suit goes anywhere, I'll be astonished. Public domain and First Amentment both seem to come into play in its defense.

To the point, no! Nary a complaint about a monster's name;)

Cheers,
Gary

fusangite

First Post
Gez says

I can't resist telling you you would ban the august creator of D&D from your group if he wanted to show up.

In all likelihood, I'd be so overwhelmed to be in Gary's presence, I'd probably be too overwhelmed to run a game, be a lousy GM or maybe throw all my house rules out the window. :D

On the other hand, I can't imagine there are that many gamers who would refuse to play a game because they weren't willing to adapt to the DM's particular house rules. I've never had a player who refused to be in my game because he couldn't accept any of my house rules.

mistergone

First Post
Getting back to gnomes... er... gnolls... I DO remember reading somewhere, I'm thinking it was the red box Basic D&D (with the Elmore cover), but maybe it was the edition right before that, that gnolls were a cross between gnomes and trolls. I also remember thinking, "Why the Hell do they look like hyenas?" Well, I prolly thought "why the Heck..." I was like 11. Now this thread has enlightened me, and I find it fascinating. Ironically, I don't have gnolls at all in my current campaign world, but I think I mentioned that before. Anyways, this begs the question: Where did Flinds come from?

Last edited:

Gez

First Post
In basic D&D (Mystara/Known World), the evil Nithian empire, roughly a grittier version of ancient egypt, made all sorts of funky magical stuff to obtain races of servitor.

"1050 BC: Great wizards of the Nithians, inspired by the Immortal Pflarr's servant race (the Hutaakan), create the gnoll race by magically blending trolls and gnome. (GAZ 10)"

"1050 BC: Evil Nithian necromancers research a way of creating a servitor race resembling the Hutaakans by reincarnating gnomes using the blood of trolls. The entire Northern Reaches have been conquered in the attempt to get more specimen. After a few years the first hundred gnomes are turned into gnolls. (GAZ10)"

Hutaakans are "a haughty, callous race dominated by their priests. The tall, slender, humanoid Hutaakans have jackal-like heads but otherwise resemble ascetic humans with narrow hands and feet. Hutaakans often decorate or carve their heavy, clawlike nails to represent their rank and station in life. Even the most simple and unassuming of these creatures wears long, somber robes, with the occasional addition of a simple piece of jewelry. They speak in fluting, mellifluous tones using a complex language possessed of a haunting, musical quality." (Mystara Monstrous Compendium Appendix.)

"Another strange episode in humanoid history is the creation of gnolls. Gnolls were created from the bodies of trolls and gnomes, during atrocious and evil experiments by Nithian wizards. It appeared Nithians could create dozens of gnolls from one troll body and a pint of gnomish blood, through proper alchemic formulas. The entire Black Moons tribe was altered this way to become gnolls, and then spread out to become common humanoids." GAZ10, the Orcs of Thar.

"1050 BC: Odious experiments in Nithia turn Black Moon trolls into gnolls. Gnolls rebel; they escape and later invade Karameikos. Nithian priests visit the Shamans of Oenkmar. Atzanteotl is increasingly offended." GAZ10, the Orcs of Thar.

Finally, the Flind appeared in the Fiend Folio, and are credited to someone called J.D. Morris. I found nothing about the Flind's origin, the FF just says that "they speak the tongue of gnolls; are on friendly terms with orcs, hobgoblins, bugbears, and ogres; but dislike trolls and won't cooperate with them". J.D. Morris is also credited for the Norkers, hobgoblins with tough skin ("a form of exoskeleton") and large 3" fangs.

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
fusangite said:
Gez says

In all likelihood, I'd be so overwhelmed to be in Gary's presence, I'd probably be too overwhelmed to run a game, be a lousy GM or maybe throw all my house rules out the window. :D

Heh, and I doubt it. I look just like a typical gamer might, just a bit older and grizzled;) Fact is I am not not a pushy sort, and generally laid back and easy to get on with unless provoked... Because I am a fellow, I can pretty much relate to any group, and enjoy the company, so most everyone feels at home despite my presence :rolleyes:

On the other hand, I can't imagine there are that many gamers who would refuse to play a game because they weren't willing to adapt to the DM's particular house rules. I've never had a player who refused to be in my game because he couldn't accept any of my house rules.

What? I can't play a female character? UNTHINKABLE. Oh, well, never mind, what can I play?

Heh,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mistergone said:
Getting back to gnomes... er... gnolls... I DO remember reading somewhere, I'm thinking it was the red box Basic D&D (with the Elmore cover), but maybe it was the edition right before that, that gnolls were a cross between gnomes and trolls. I also remember thinking, "Why the Hell do they look like hyenas?" Well, I prolly thought "why the Heck..." I was like 11. Now this thread has enlightened me, and I find it fascinating. Ironically, I don't have gnolls at all in my current campaign world, but I think I mentioned that before. Anyways, this begs the question: Where did Flinds come from?

Flinds came from the Fiend folio, so only the chap who originally created the critters for White Dwarf can answer that. I didn't find them an objectionable addition to the humanoids' roster in my campaign, and added some now and again for variety. Same with the other humanoids from the FF--norkers, orgillions, etc.

Cheers,
Gary

RigaMortus

Explorer
"People I Would Most Like To Game With At Least Once" List

Gary
Vin Diesel
Snoop Dogg (heh, why not? I don't even think he games, but wouldn't that be funny if he showed up at the gaming table)

So Gary, do you higher yourself out to gaming groups by chance? Ever think about auctioning yourself for a night of gaming on E-Bay?

"There's no race like Gnome" - Me

fusangite

First Post
Dog Men

OK -- my celebrity worshipping instincts have now been brought under control.

On a related subject, I wanted to ask about Kobolds. Although my original Monster Manual is in storage, I recall the 1E Kobolds being dog-men; in 3E they appear to be lizard-men. Is my memory playing tricks on me? If not, why the change?

The reason I am thinking about this right now is that I just finished reading a 9th century manuscript for school in which a theologian was being consulted about whether dog-men had souls. He was of the opinion that they did because they wore clothes, a clear sign that someone possesses a soul if ever there were one.

The document inspired me to involve some dog-men in one of the campaigns I'm running but I've been unable to find a readily-adaptable demi-human race -- it now appears that the closest one is the gnoll.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
RigaMortus said:
"People I Would Most Like To Game With At Least Once" List

Gary
Vin Diesel
Snoop Dogg (heh, why not? I don't even think he games, but wouldn't that be funny if he showed up at the gaming table)

So Gary, do you higher yourself out to gaming groups by chance? Ever think about auctioning yourself for a night of gaming on E-Bay?

"There's no race like Gnome" - Me

Thanks for putting me on the top of the list, amigo:) Likely it's not deserved, as I can be as boring as any gamer on an off day.

When i heard back in the 80s that Prince Andrew played D&D with the Archbishop of york as his DM, I really wished I could sit in on one of those sessions;) I don't know if the story is true or not, but it conjured images. Can you see the prince in regaliam with the archbishop in his vestmentssitting at the table rolling dice? :eek:

Actually, I have "hired out" to run a three-day-long adventure for a group og D&Ders in California. It took me over a full week to ready the material, so I don't want to do much of that sort of appearance even though it was a blast. The group of eight played well, and really enjoyed the adventure. They managed to conclude with a success on Sunday night around eight o'clock. We played in the room they rented for me in a Residence Inn, took breraks to eat, but otherwise played about four hours on Friday, and 10 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday.

Cheers,
Gary

Remove ads