• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Orville - Season 1

And my point was that perhaps their scripture shouldn't be taken to indicate an active and continuous appraisal of the soul status of other species, just that Avis once passed judgement.

They stated that is how they "know" that humans and other species do not have souls based on their swords and Avis passing judgement on others is not mentioned. If I had to guess the existence of the souls of xenospecies is not actually mentioned in the Book of Avis and is not an official part of the religion, rather it is something that the Krill have conditioned themselves to believe without an actual religious bases.

Ryujin

Legend
The impression I got from the episode is that only the Krill have a soul, from their point of view, as is told by their book of avis.

Those that are not Krill, killing them is nothing.

So now that the union has the book, they can translate how this ideology came to be, what it means to have a soul/prove one has a soul, and how they can convince the Krill other beings (ib, humans, etc.) do have a soul.

Back in Babylon 5, and the Earth-Minbari War. The Minbari was about to win the war until Cmdr Sinclair rammed his ship into a Minbari ship. A scan of the human showed the Minbari that a human DOES have a soul. They surrendered shortly there after.

Now how the union can prove they have a soul to the Krill...

Specifically MINBARI souls.

Orville also seems more Trek in the way that they slip in the social commentary, as opposed to the sledge hammer of Discovery. I've seen three episodes of Discovery and, where I would ordinarily give a show 5 or six before deciding if I would keep watching, I'm already done with Discovery.

After episode 3 of Discovery and Orville I was going to argue with you about the social commentary, but after the last two episodes I'm starting to agree. I'm still giving Discovery a chance, though.

The last episode of Orville had one of my favorite notes of social commentary on both shows so far. Paraphrasing:

"They're attacking the colony!"
"There are thousands of families down there!"
"And a lot of single people, too."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One thing I'm appreciating is that they're doing a much better job of lampooning sci-fi- especially a major property like ST- than similar attempts to make comedic hay of the fantasy genre. While not all of the jokes have been winners, I can't recall many...well any real clunkers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads