• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Paladin excerpt

BryonD

Hero
I tried playing a paladin from a sort of aboriginal native tribe and the DM was over me like a dirty shirt - "WHAT?!??! No armour, no sword, you're using a spear??! That's not a paladin." On and on and on. It's the main reason I don't even bother trying to play paladins anymore. Just too many DM's like this.
First, wow, that truly sucks

Second, nice concept

Third, don't give up, there are great DMs out there. Don't let the crap ruin it for you.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Forgive me because I have been a little out of the loop for a while, but I've seen
numerous allusions to a "Forbidden Text." What is everyone talking about?

Someone leaked a copy of an internal playtest they did around February, after the public playtests had closed. Sort of an alpha PHB, with all the classes and subclasses not in the final public playtest. You can google it if you want, but it's out of date and probably not worth the effort.

Remathilis

Legend
Someone leaked a copy of an internal playtest they did around February, after the public playtests had closed. Sort of an alpha PHB, with all the classes and subclasses not in the final public playtest. You can google it if you want, but it's out of date and probably not worth the effort.
It's interesting as a novelty and I've used it as a guide to start building my custom races and subclasses, but I wouldn't use it to roll up a PC.

pemerton

Legend
If you want to be an avenger then you can be a fighter with a background and role play it out. You don't need magical powers to implement the concept and I think it's stupid of Wizards to do this.
I don't see what's stupid about trying to support those who want to play a rather popular 4e class.

CM

Adventurer
My current character is a 4e avenger who is tasked with hunting down evil wizards. He has taken a few of their spellbooks, however, and multiclassed into wizard, and is currently in the position of using some arcane magic against his foes while trying not to be tempted to use some of the darker spells.

It's a fun character, and I'm glad 5e will continue to support things like this.

Hussar

Legend
If I am ever, by some quirk of fate, running a game that you're in--at a con, maybe--you hereby officially have my permission to play that character. Because not only is that not "not a paladin," it's an awesome paladin.

I thought it was kind of a cool idea too. :D

But, to be honest, I've met more than a few DM's out there for whom Paladin=heavy armor dude with a sword and a faux Euro background. The idea of alternative paladins back then anyway seemed a pretty big stretch for DM's. And, really, if you look at things like the Complete Paladin from 2e and a LOT of the 1e and 2e material, Paladin=Euro-Knight isn't a big surprise.

Last two paladins in my Pathfinder campaigns were a land-walking mermaid with a coral breastplate and spear, and a human archer raised by (and dressed as) a jungle-dwelling elf.

sgtscott658

First Post
I don't mind either since only Humans in my campaign can be Pally's anyway. BUT I will use the article from an old dragon mag called Plethora of Paladins which is a pally variant' for evil and non human races.

Scott

A half orc representation of the paladin? Interesting. I don't mind a bit. Although it looks more like a half bugbear than a half orc.

Droogie128

First Post
I can't wait to play my paladin who keeps struggling to be good but just can't help burning down orphanages and eating babies and kicking puppies and attempting genocide. "I want to achieve these high ideals, but that puppy was just beggingto be kicked, you guys, you don't understand! It was a lot of fun, but I feel real bad."

Joking aside this does make my idea of a warlock/paladin multiclass a little more interesting. Bound to Hell, but trying for Heaven....:)

Constantine concept :)

Remove ads