• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Phaerimm and Sharn

Gellion

First Post
How powerful exactly are the Phaerimm, as well as the Sharn.. I think the average Phaerimm is CR 16. But magically how adpet are both of them. Do they have access to epic level magic, or do they just use massively metamagicked 1-9th level spells? Where did the Sharn come from? I have also heard about Elder Sharn. I heard someone put the CR of an average one at 66.

Last edited:

Steve Jung

Explorer
Gellion said:
How powerful exactly are the Phaerimm, as well as the Sharn.. I think the average Phaerimm is CR 16. But magically how adpet are both of them. Do they have access to epic level magic, or do they just use massively metamagicked 1-9th level spells? Where did the Sharn come from? I have also heard about Elder Sharn. I heard someone put the CR of an average one at 66.
Phaerimm and sharn are described in Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerûn.

Phaerimm are CR 5, but that's without sorcerer levels. Their advancement is by character class. "Phaerimm Magic (Sp): Phaerimms cast their sorcerer spells as if they were spell-like abilities, requiring neither verbal, somatic, nor material components." p. 70.

Sharn are CR 6 + character levels. Since the typical 4 HD sharn casts spells as a 7th-level sorcerer and a 5th-level cleric, would that make one a CR 18 creature? Their spell-casting levels increase with increasing hit dice. Sharn don't require components or focuses (divine or arcane) for their spells. "Sharns embody magical chaos.… Some scholars believe they are born of the essence of chaos itself, predating even dragons." p. 77.

Mystery Man

First Post
From the web preview of the Underdark...

Secret and few, the deep Imaskari are heirs to the lost empire of Imaskar. One of the earliest human empires, Imaskar rose in what is now the Dust Desert and Plains of Purple Dust. Wizard-kings of heady power, the Imaskari were destroyed by the slaves they had abducted from other worlds (who eventually became the folk of Mulhorand and Unther) and the machinations of unusual creatures of their own creation (the phaerimms).

Hmm..Now I guess I'm going to have to buy this thing.

Last edited:

ruleslawyer

Well, in keeping with the principle of 3e, the 3e phaerimm and sharn aren't given a fixed power level, but are left open to advance them as you see fit. In 2e, the phaerimm were said to average 22nd-27th level casting ability (per FR13 Anauroch) or 30th-36th level casting ability (per the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set). Likewise, the sharn were briefly mentioned to have "rare" individuals who cast as 19th-level wizards, with "some" approaching 26th level.

ruleslawyer

To add: According to Monsters of Faerun, 3e "elder" phaerimm are sorcerers of 15th-20th level or even higher, while sharn average Sor7/Clr5 casting ability. So I guess you could say that the "average" 3e phaerimm is maybe a Sor8-10, or CR 13-15. As for the sharn: MoF is a very poorly written monster book to begin with, so I really don't know how their CR is supposed to work. I'd actually redo the CR from the ground up; the average sharn (4 HD, cast as Sor7/Clr5) strikes me as about CR 9, roughly the power level of a dark naga with better casting ability and lower combat ability. I'd then add +1 CR per class level above Sor7/Clr5.

Castellan

First Post
You know, I don't mean to hijack the thread, but why is it that, since 3E, the WotC publications have added an (unnecessary, I think) "s" to the end of Phaerimm and Sharn?

Was it not clear in previous (i.e. 2E) materials that the plural of Phaerimm is ... Phaerimm? That the plural of Sharn is ... Sharn?

I mean, what next? Your ranger follows the tracks through the dense underbrush. After several hours following the faint tracks, you come upon a group of deers! :eek:

I just can't even say *shudder* Phaerimms... Blech!

Remove ads