• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Pixie is up!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
While I was also hoping that they would have had more unique... deficiencies related to their size, I think they are handled pretty well as a PC race. I look forward to seeing one in action.

The Witch on the other hand... we didn't really get enough to go on. We know that it will be an Arcane Controller and will use Wizard powers, so pretty much just a wizard build, which is fine, but from what we're seeing, it better get some really standout class features, or something, because otherwise... just a wizard with a free feat and different flavour text (and probably a few less other things).

Xris Robin

First Post
Tiny creatures can end their turn in someone's square. That brings up odd thoughts about defenders.

Also, "When wielding a weapon of your size, you follow the same rules that Small creatures do." What does, when wielding a weapon of your size mean? Unless Feywild has new tiny weapons, do I have to use Shrink on everything? I also notice Shrink makes things appropriate for me to use, but doesn't mention what size that is. I'm a little confused.

So, I Shrink items to my size, but then I treat that as if I were small? So I can't use two-handed weapons? But if I Shrink it, it's my size. So I'm very confused.

EDIT: Since shrunken items stay that way until off your person, I'm guessing it's meant to combine with Wee Warrior to act as if you were small. They didn't want to come up with new tiny weapon rules. I dunno why Wee Warrior doesn't say to just use the small rules, but it seems to work out that way.

So Pixie Dust is your REAL racial power, Shrink is just a funky rules workaround.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Since items retain game stats when you use shrink on them, does that mean a pixie with a pixie-sized longspear has a reach of 2?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I think Pixies will be the first race I'm going to ban from my games. Not only is it stupid, but without clarification on how opportunity attacks work for tiny creatures, I'm just not interested in dealing with the head frack of it.
The Witch on the other hand... we didn't really get enough to go on. We know that it will be an Arcane Controller and will use Wizard powers, so pretty much just a wizard build, which is fine, but from what we're seeing, it better get some really standout class features, or something, because otherwise... just a wizard with a free feat and different flavour text (and probably a few less other things).

Oh yay, another arcane controller. They could've made it a dozen other things that would've better suited the entire witch 'schtick' but no, they went with something we already have three and a half of (wizard, mage, bladesinger & warlock). I really would've preferred it to be a ranged primal striker with leader secondary. Arcane doesn't even make sense.

Dice4Hire

First Post
The Pixie is up!

But not very high!!!

God, this is gonna be a mess. A total rules bag of monkeys with that racial ability. Shrik this and what does it do, does the pixie need to carry it or can anyone use it?

What is the weight, and the range, and the ......

Why oh why did they need to make a tiny race. 4E was going so well without them.

Jsut call them the small side of small and be done with it, like golaths are the large side of medium.

I think I will be houseruling this uuy to small and removing the second racial power.,.

Ahh, better than advil and aspirin together.

Xris Robin

First Post
But Shrink answers those questions. No, the pixie doesn't have to carry it, but then it reverts to normal size after the pixie's next extended rest. The game statistics, including weight, remain the same.

In simple terms, shrink all your equipment, treat it as if you were small.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Oh yay, another arcane controller. They could've made it a dozen other things that would've better suited the entire witch 'schtick' but no, they went with something we already have three and a half of (wizard, mage, bladesinger & warlock). I really would've preferred it to be a ranged primal striker with leader secondary. Arcane doesn't even make sense.
I don't mind Arcane, though Primal would have worked just as well, maybe better. I don't buy divine or psionic for a witch.

Given their reliance on Wizard spells, I get that they needed to make it an Arcane Controller, I just wish they hadn't. I would have liked to see another Arcane or Primal Leader, perhaps. Maybe Arcane AND Primal.

That said, 4e's rules bloat is getting out of hand, and I don't blame them for having classes just use other classes' stuff at this point. I just wish they would have thought of that earlier and not made so many derivative ideas their own class.

If fact, most of the classes they put out after PHB1 should have been builds of existing classes rather than separate entities. That's another ball of wax entirely though.

Incenjucar

Legend
I rather like the pixie. They'll have to clarify a few things, absolutely, but overall it's going to produce some really interesting builds and character concepts once everyone knows how to use them correctly.

Ultimately, they're small-sized creatures caught in some kind of dimension-warping field that alters the space immediately around them to create the effect of their being tiny. Ignore the fluff and change their origin and you have something from the Far Realm. <3

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads