• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Pixie is up!

Xris Robin

First Post
Witch seems promising. You could easily use the Witch to mimic the Al-Qadim sha'ir (using your familiar/genie to change your daily spells). For that alone, I give it a thumb up!
Why bother? Sha'ir is the next wizard subclass, in the Elemental book, I think. We already know that.

Zaran

Adventurer
While I was also hoping that they would have had more unique... deficiencies related to their size, I think they are handled pretty well as a PC race. I look forward to seeing one in action.

The Witch on the other hand... we didn't really get enough to go on. We know that it will be an Arcane Controller and will use Wizard powers, so pretty much just a wizard build, which is fine, but from what we're seeing, it better get some really standout class features, or something, because otherwise... just a wizard with a free feat and different flavour text (and probably a few less other things).

I thought the pixie was done well. People are already complaining about how an 18 strength pixie can fly lightweight PCs over a chasm. Whooptie-do.

Yeah you would think a witch would be just a Fey-Pact warlock...

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth
I want to see a Pixie assassin that casts Shrink on a bunch of watermelons, has them served like a bunch of grapes to the evil dictator king, then waits for his next extended rest to collect the reward. :D

I think Pixies will be the first race I'm going to ban from my games. Not only is it stupid, but without clarification on how opportunity attacks work for tiny creatures, I'm just not interested in dealing with the head frack of it.
The rules have been there since the start of the edition and its the same thing for small creatures. Any space that a creature has threatening reach in including its own space provokes opportunity attacks from it. That is why its flight altitude is stuck at 1 otherwise it would never provoke opportunity attacks.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
I love how a Tiny person with inches-long arms has the same reach as a grown human.

I love how a pixie can only fly 5' up, but there's no explanation why.

I gotta love 4e!

Obviously a pixie's 5 ft. reach represents the traditional flight combat technique pixie adventurers perfect, wherein they strafe past enemies then return to their starting position. It's all abstract. Also, magic.

And the 1-square elevation limit actually matches to most depictions I've seen of tiny fairies. They hover over things, but almost never fly high above things. It's not their schtick.

I think they're nifty. Personally I would love a pixie fighter, getting all defender-y on people.

Klaus

First Post
Obviously a pixie's 5 ft. reach represents the traditional flight combat technique pixie adventurers perfect, wherein they strafe past enemies then return to their starting position. It's all abstract. Also, magic.

And the 1-square elevation limit actually matches to most depictions I've seen of tiny fairies. They hover over things, but almost never fly high above things. It's not their schtick.

I think they're nifty. Personally I would love a pixie fighter, getting all defender-y on people.
Specially if said pixie kept yelling "have at thee!" as he struck enemies!

captainspud

First Post
Anybody have a link or book reference to art of a D&D pixie from this edition? I wanna sculpt a mini of one tonight, but I've never seen one in D&D canon so I don't know what to make it look like.

Also: what's the most ridiculous melee class you can do well with CHA+INT/DEX? Off the top of my head, it's a full match for a Rogue, a primary half-match for a Ranger, Swordmage, or Assassin, and a secondary half-match for a Barbarian or Paladin... hrm...

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yeah, there are tons of cutesy flavour options for pixie characters. Love it.

I thought the pixie was done well. People are already complaining about how an 18 strength pixie can fly lightweight PCs over a chasm. Whooptie-do.
While I agree that it's a whoopty-doo, they also can't due to their altitude limit, unless they feel like going to the bottom of that chasm and up the other side. It would work for a river though.

Yeah you would think a witch would be just a Fey-Pact warlock...
Yes, or a Shaman, or a Wizard with the Familiar feat, or an Artificer, or a Bard, or any of those with some multiclass thrown in, or hybrid, or ...you get the idea.

Remove ads