• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Plan: Having a Remote Player join an inperson game

DonTadow

First Post
I lost one of my best players earlier this year. HE and I still talk and he's having a bad time finding decent people to play with in virginia. I have been toying with the idea of figuring out a way he can still game with us remotely.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

So far, I have a projector and we use tabletop software to run the combats. Next year, the pcs will switch to digital minis. For those unfamiliar with online tabletop software, it will allow my pcs to control chrachters in one version of the program, while i have another version up on my desktop. It does this throug ha network. This will allow him to log into our session and control a mini around as if he was there by just logging on to the network. I have purchased a webcam with a microphone set up to allow him to see the game. In theory, this seems like it might work. However, some things are left up in the air like how does he talk to pcs in private. I think I might be missing some other details that aren't clear right now either.

Any advice much appreciated.

havoclad

Explorer
We use MapTool and Skype to do that. We currently have one person remote, and are adding a second.

It also works well if someone has to stay home and watch the kids, or is only moderately sick. They can dial in and still participate.

I've dialed in myself a few times, its not as good as sitting at the table, but it doesn't work out too bad.

However, our campaigns tend to be fairly combat heavy. I don't think it would work out so well if you prefer an intrigue based campaign.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
Not sure on the setup you're talking about, but if it's one computer in the room with the players, then perhaps you could use a voice over ip + webcam service? That gives him something of a physical precense at the game. And a webcam to see the game.

Guess you could use messenger and not looking at the screen for more private stuff?

If it's multiple computers, then some kind of web conferencing software?

smootrk

First Post
Using your existing setup is good. If all the players use computers at the table, then simple IM programs can be used for the individual players to chat amongst themselves (using a separate window for each player/DM, and a window for a group chat & DM info distributed to all players).

DonTadow

First Post
smootrk said:
Using your existing setup is good. If all the players use computers at the table, then simple IM programs can be used for the individual players to chat amongst themselves (using a separate window for each player/DM, and a window for a group chat & DM info distributed to all players).
There are two computers at the table, the laptop i control the game on, and the one the players use. the one the players use has a multiple mouse setup and they have 3 wireless mouse between the 5 players at the table. There is one player whom has a laptop but other than that there is one screen for the players.

Chupacabra

First Post
I ran 3 or 4 sessions while one of our key players was on assignment in California. We had VOIP to let him hear the action and a web cam pointed at the the battlemat to show the position of the minis. One of our game laptops was configured so that we at the table could see what the player was seeing also. Occasionally we had to physically pick up the camera and "zoom" it in to show the player what was going on when the board got chock full of minis and spell-effect radii, etc.

Overall it was pretty smooth. Not preferable to in-person, but better than we expected. Two of the sessions were pure combat from the word go (the party was in the middle of defending a town from a siege) and they went fine. The other session or two were more of a typical mix of roleplaying and combat. Strangely enough, those were the sessions that were somewhat lacking compared to the combat sessions. Since the player was not physically present, he seemed to contribute less to the overall party planning and "telling of the story". Your milage will vary. Heck, maybe this player actually dug combat more than roleplaying.

We did not have a smooth method of passing info in secret between me (the DM) and that player or for players to pass secret info to the player. I guess I could have IM'd him, but not everyone was playing with a laptop (including me).

Otherwise, it was a great experiment and our group would do it again in a heartbeat if needed. Good luck!

Last edited:

Remove ads