• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Plane Below - Secrets of the Elemental Chaos

The Abyss gets its own chapter "Into the Abyss"
There is less about its origin and more about its nature there.
Interesting concept: The Worldship, a giant stone spelljammer, crewed by dwarves, genasi and a few tieflings, is exploring the abyss, trying to reach the center of the pit. A deva aboard continually reincarnates...
The chapter suggests two campaign arcs, one for paragon and one for epic tier. A sidebar notes that the Abyss is not a good place for heroic characters, even though they might sometimes stumble into it (or more likely into something coming from it), it's not a place to stay and explore for long...

There are some skill challenge suggestions.
o Abyssal Madness is about not going insane while staying in the abyss. Whenever you fail a check as part of the challenge, you suffer an insanity effect. Failing the challenge means they stay, everyone gets an extra insanity and a remove affliction ritual is required. Doesn't sound so bad, insanities are fun, right? ;) Well, you sure will like "Paranoid Delusions", turning you into an non-ally for everyone or Melancholy that takes away one of your actions... ;)
o Destroying A Demongate. Well, self explanatory. Failure or Success, it will hurt the party.
o Escaping the Demon Horde. When there are just too many of them. If you fail, you face a tough encounter and have to try again.
o Navigating the Demoweb. Don't get lost.

Abyssal Locations
[sblock]
o Mal Arundak, Bastion of Confusion. Something is imprisoned here. It is believed to be Tharizdan, at least that's what the gods told the angels guarding it.
o Molor, the Stinking Realm. Jubilex,patron of slimes and oozes, rules this place. It's not his domain, but if he does't take care with Zuggtomy, it might become it.
o The Plains of Rust. A place that used to be a stronghold for Devils thanks to 3 portals leading to Hell, but was wrecked by Orcus and Jubilex.
o The Spire of Rajzak. Razjak is a gargantuan creature, terribly bestial but as powerful as a demon lord. It is said that was he was before Gra'zt destroyed his soul and mind.
[/sblock]

Rechan

Adventurer
Trying to answer ALL questions seems 'kind of scant' ???
The content of the book based on your previous post seems a bit scant. Doesn't look like a lot of monsters, for instance.

Although reading Mustrum's synopsises, looks a little meaty for fluff info.

Last edited:

The book also contains a little new "equipment" - Lightning Skiffs (ride lightnings comfortably - speed 100, but you need a lightning line to follow), Chaos Glider, Chaos Ship. The Chaos Ships has a map, it's the same as the one from E3, if I see it correctly.

The artifacts described are
- Plastron of Tzipal (Paragon Tier). A Plate armor that merges with the wearer's flesh. It doesn't like divine characters, gods or immortals...
- Crystal of the Ebon Flame (Epic Tier). A implement (useable as any type of implement). The Crystal is supposed to help free Tharizdun, but has been cursed to thwart that very attempt - so it has conflicting set of goals, one for the curse, one for itself.
- Wave. We've already seen this in the excerpts.
Interesting tidbit: The first two artifacts grant permanent benefits to the wielder if the artifact was pleased. when they move on. Well, the Plastron... is a little difficult to please and if you failed to please it, you turn into a Stone Golem.

There are also a lot of Elemental Fantastic Terrain described (p.12 to 17), and there are 13 Hazards described.

Aside from the Cult of the Elder Elemental Eye, there are also the Grave-Minders (former watchers over the bonds keeping the primordials imprisoned, now more interested in treasure hunting and looting), Speakers of Xaos (a union of the Xaositects and the Lyceum Elemental, seeking to understand the Elemental Chaos.)

Rechan

Adventurer
There are also a lot of Elemental Fantastic Terrain described (p.12 to 17), and there are 13 Hazards described.
Sweet.

Although I have to ask, is the Fantastic Terrain all elemental-damage related? I mean, that's 5 pages worth of 'you take x elemental damage'. :)

Sweet.

Although I have to ask, is the Fantastic Terrain all elemental-damage related? I mean, that's 5 pages worth of 'you take x elemental damage'. :)
No.

Liquid thunder: Walk on it, it explodes, throughs you 10-30 ft in the air, and then you fall.

Primordial Font: fountains of liquid elemental energy causes a random effect that is beneficial to you if you start and end your turn in it.

While I'm curious if some of the fantastic terrain and hazards might resemble some of the "border regions" such as glowing dunes mentioned in 2e's Inner Planes, I don't think anyone will make that connection even if there is.

So I'm wondering if there's any mention of the City of Glass (formerly the elemental water trade city), Dismal Delve (Dao city), Zerthadlun or the Githzerai city of Shrak'tlor (which seems to be absent from 4e).

I'm wondering if any of the Elemental Princes(ses) of Evil/Good such as Imix, Ogremach, Zaaman Rul, Olhydra, and so on are mentioned in this book. I know they're probably Primordials in 4e.

Rechan

Adventurer
So, this is sort of offtopic, but this book uses it heavily so I think I'll ask:

What role to Slaad present, in a thematic sense? What is their point as villains?

I always feel like they're just oddballs. Giant frog guys OF CHAOS WOO. So having the book really emphasizing them makes me scratch my head. What's their purpose?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads