• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The playtest has begun

Agamon

Adventurer
It's been about four and a half hours and I still haven't been able to download the packet. So, for those of you who did get it already, congratulations.

Yeah, I didn't read anywhere that this was a lottery. I've actually been trying for almost 6 hours. My browser keeps telling me "Bad Request" and it's lowering my self-esteem. :p

mlund

First Post
I like it a lot. I love the spell and monster formats. I love what they did with advantage/disadvantage (that will influence player action much more than a +/-2 modifier ever did), and I'm glad they decided minor stuff like drawing weapons, opening unlocked doors etc. was just free as part of your action. I also like the way your move can start before your action and continue after it. The at-will cantrips which are pretty much reflavoured Xbows work for me too.

Happy with all that on my end too. My players managed to explore a big chunk of the outer area and set off every encounter of Zone A in about an hour and a half. They are 1/4 of the way to level 2. They are also considering trying to take an extended rest already because they had some unhappy die rolls that consumed a lot of their healing resources. Rolling nat-1's on HP recovery is as deflating an experience as it was in pre-4E editions of D&D, while rolling max is exciting.

Also not keen on the "any healing takes you up from zero" thing; mortally wounded one minute, a tiny poultice and you're running around the next.

Well, to be fair poultices won't bring you up mid-combat, and it is only a mortal wound if it is going to kill you. Going down enough HP to kill you isn't patched by a poultice - you're dead. If someone mundanely goes stable instead of bleeding out they it really wasn't a "mortal wound" by definition, now was it? Things that may or may not kill you randomly basically look grizzly but won't be mortal or not until influenced by outside observation.

Hooray for Schrödinger's adventurer! ;)

I'm loving the death, dying, and healing mechanics.

- Marty Lund

Phaezen

Adventurer
Also not keen on the "any healing takes you up from zero" thing; mortally wounded one minute, a tiny poultice and you're running around the next.

Just browsing those rules now, you can't take a rest while you are unconscious. So the only way to get from unconscious to alive and kicking, that I can see, is time or magical healing

renau1g

First Post
*sigh* I was hoping to get a chance to read it tonight, but not being able to use PbP sucks, it's my only gaming....at least enworld is running better.

Gorgoroth

Banned
Banned

The night is indeed dark and full of ERROR : HTTP Error 400.

Their overclocked 286 server is choking and smoking, like grandma's chevvy.

:)

I signed up, but had to resort to drastic measures before nerdrage (directed at nobody in particular) forced me to commit the victimless crime of to "download that which is free from this source instead of this other one, due to traffic"

"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those that trespass against us
Although them again we will never, never, never trust

Forgive me Pelor, for I know not what else to do....
"

Maybe there's an anti-pirate nerf in the leaked playtest PDF rules...

Remove ads