• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

the portal opens, would you go through?

Hida Bukkorosu said:
ok here's what happens. a magical portal opens in your bedroom. a voice comes from the portal informing you that it is a portal to insertyourworldhere.
How about normal non-magical Earth (America) circa 1952? Oh, the stocks I could own. Even as a programmer, the world is not so technologically devolved that I cannot fit in.

Of course, it only gives me 52 years to invent the portal technology that I can send to myself in 2004 so as not to cause a paradox.

Liolel

First Post
Nope I wouldn't go. The thing is such campaign settings are always filled with much more danger, discomfort and other unpleasant things then exist living in suburban Massachusetts or just about anywhere else in the country. This makes good gameplay, its usually boring if there's no danger to threaten your character for a sustained period of time, but its not a good place to live. Besides I couldn't go without modern technology.

tonym

First Post
Hmm. The voice sounds friendly and benevolent. After all, it displays concern about my wife and children. Plus the de-aging thing.

I feel comfortable with the voice. I like the voice. I want to know more about the voice.

I bet the voice has some cool magic gear waiting for me on the other side. And I bet the voice needs my help to vanquish EVIL--horrible, terrible soul-sucking evil. It wouldn't send a portal because it needs help washing laundry, after all...

Hmmm. Probably nobody but me can help fight this evil. Well, me and Erik Noah, but he already turned down the voice.

Okay. *deep breath*

I scribble a quick note to my relatives saying, "We have traveled to another dimesion! Please feed the hamster!" Then me, my wife and kids leap through the gate.

"AEIIIII!"

Tony

I'd go, but only if I knew what my stats would be (and my family's stats, too). And if I heard what my stats "really" are, well, then I might not go. ;)

I have to say, the option to become a cleric would be awfully sweet. I would just hope that I am wise enough.

And you would see so many wonders...

If they give me instant language knowledge it might be worth it for that alone. Nothing irks me so much as my inability get to a good medieval level of language proficiency.

Though, the idea of going into anywhere with any sort of complex society without any support is always more than a little daunting.

But then again I do get to pick the place...

Lord, but it would be wonderful to try out Al-Quadim.

Come to think of it I'd pobebly make something to hold the portal open call my friends and go through
hOwever I might forget to think and just jump or I might not notice sense I haven't been in my room for days

JoAT

First Post
My reaction?

"Alright, voice, first off, who, exactly am I going to be the pawn of? There's no way that this offer is gratis, so I want to know what's going on here. Second off, are you guarrenteeing that I'm going to be gaining 'levels' in a 'PC class' - that no matter what I will get trained and survive this training? Why are you asking me, and not someone else, for that matter - is this a case of that god-damned special power syndrome, and if it is, what do I have - it'd be alot more effective if you told me now, instead of waiting until I discover X on my own. Also, are you guarenteeing a safe return - if I succeed as you pawn, or your boss's pawn, that is. Finally no way I'm going to subject my family to this (though my mother and little brother would probably be far better suited), so can I replace them with some of my friends?"

If the above questions were answered to my satisfaction... Eh, why not? And yes, I tend to metagame real life, even, to some extent...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads