• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The price of beauty

Zhnov

First Post
Feedback please on these beauty spells. I think the spell level is about right, compared to related spells of nearby levels. Thoughts?

Is the Charisma-related effect about right?

The duration of each is a key point that gives it value. I can see well-to-do noble ladies paying some shiny coin to have these spells cast on them... call it Trade Skills, I guess.

Thanks,
Orlic

Beauty
Transmutation

Level: Soc/Wiz 3
Component: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Duration: Permanent
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell transforms the target creature into a more beautiful version of itself. Although its appearance improves, it is easily recognized as itself. An effect of this spell is to grant a competency bonus to Charisma checks of +1. This effect does not stack with other appearance-based magic bonuses to Charisma checks. The focus for this spell is a mirror of at least 50 gp value.

Divine Beauty
Transmutation

Level: Soc/Wiz 4
Duration: Instantaneous

As Beauty, but the duration is instantaneous, and the competency bonus to Charisma checks is +2. This effect does not stack with other appearance-based magic bonuses to Charisma checks.

ValarX

First Post
Orlic Pazafar said:

Is the Charisma-related effect about right?

I'd say that this works pretty well as long as the bonus does not apply to magic, make it only applicable to charisma related skills (+1 or +2 to all Charisma related skills).

Orlic Pazafar said:

The duration of each is a key point that gives it value. I can see well-to-do noble ladies paying some shiny coin to have these spells cast on them... call it Trade Skills, I guess.

Ah, now here is where your logic fails. If I'm an enterprising young wizard selling beauty potions am I going to want to sell one time deals or am I going to want to have those rich nobles coming back to me time and time again, spilling their coin for my fine brews. I'd make the spell last a number of hours equal to the level of the sorcerer or wizard who cast it. Besides, there is always an alternative.

Wizard: 'What is that, madam? You want a one time deal, no problem, I'll just go get my permanency spell, of course it will cost you, this being high magic and all. Speaking of which, how much would you be willing to pay for eternal beauty.'

With this setup, the wizard could even sell his spell (most likely as a potion) to young lovers who drink it down just before meeting. It sort of gives a whole Cinderella feeling, young girls fleeing the scene at midnight before their weak potion of beauty wears off.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I'd recommend limiting the bonus to Charisma checks to situations where beauty would come into play. Likely only in interactions with humanoids, possibly only with the same race. Also, it should only apply in "friendly" situations, not to things like Intimidate.

Zhnov

First Post
Staffan said:
I'd recommend limiting the bonus to Charisma checks to situations where beauty would come into play. Likely only in interactions with humanoids, possibly only with the same race. Also, it should only apply in "friendly" situations, not to things like Intimidate.

My thoughts were going in the same direction... at first thinking maybe it would only apply to the opposite sex, but then again... some folks can be intimidated through the stark good looks of another of the same sex, without the sexual connotations (I'm ugly, and most non-ugly people intimidate me). :D

I agree that its impact should be limited to situations where appearance is important.

We use the Comelineness ability score from Dragon magazine (circa AD&D 1E, off the top of my head). IMC, we will apply the bonus from these spells directly to this ability's bonus, rather than Charisma. We use Com modifiers to augment Perform and many Charisma checks against the opposite gender (but the character has to elect to use one or the other for each circumstance).

Since I'm using the spell to support a house rule, I had to write it in a way that most folks in this forum would find useful -- hence Charisma modifier.

There are few areas that we don't explore in RP, from relationships of the characters, coming of age, politics, and culture. Some of these things (though less heroic) need metrics to be handled effectively, and could use magic to augment.

Orlic

Anyway, updated versions of the spells (now there is 3, one with a limited duration). Thoughts ? :

Beauty
Transmutation

Level: Soc/Wiz 2
Component: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Duration: 4 hours + 1 hour/level
Target: One Creature
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell transforms the target creature into a more beautiful version of itself. Although its appearance improves, it is easily recognized as itself. An effect of this spell is to grant a competency bonus to Charisma checks of +1 (limited to the bonus to Charisma checks related to situations where beauty would be considered, such as non-hostile interactions with similar or identical races). This effect does not stack with other appearance-based magic bonuses to Charisma checks. The focus for this spell is a mirror of at least 50 gp value.

Lasting Beauty
Transmutation

As Beauty, but the duration is permanent, and the effect does not stack with other appearance-based magic bonuses to Charisma checks.

Eternal Beauty
Transmutation

Level: Soc/Wiz 4
Duration: Instantaneous

As Beauty, but the duration is instantaneous, and the competency bonus to Charisma checks is +2, and the effect does not stack with other appearance-based magic bonuses to Charisma checks.

Centaur

First Post
We're using the Comelineness stat in our games as well. Why not make it a variation on the standard Buff spells like bull's strength and Cat's Grace.

Have it add 1d4+1 to Com and lasts 1 hour / level.

Seems a straight forward assumption to me.

Then you could make more lasting versions at higher levels.

If you really want to approach the idea of using "Beauty Magics" for commercial gain, then you need to start dividing things up into different specialties.

Your could have each of the transmutation spells be "Instantaeous" in duration, but have them be as specialized as a plastic surgeons skills: Lip enhancement, breast augmentation, fat removers, muscle tonners, hair rujuvinisers etc. etc. The possibilities are nearly endless, and far more varied than anything we have in the real world.

Just think of the exotic modifications that people might pay for in a somewhat decadent, high magic society.....

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Um whats wrong with making this a skill check instead - perhaps disguise?

"By application of makeup and a few tricks you appear more beautiful than usual and gain a +1 bonus to Cha checks"

Not to criticise but I see no point in wasting a spell when a skill could produce the same effect

Only 'Lasting Beauty' with its Face Lift effect might justify a spell

Zhnov

First Post
Centaur said:
We're using the Comelineness stat in our games as well. Why not make it a variation on the standard Buff spells like bull's strength and Cat's Grace.

Have it add 1d4+1 to Com and lasts 1 hour / level.

Seems a straight forward assumption to me.

Then you could make more lasting versions at higher levels.

I like it (I'll do so for my campaign -- duh!) -- but not every campaign uses Comelineness. There is Eagle's Splendor in Tome & Blood that does that for Charisma, although the spell description definitely relates to that attribute.

If you really want to approach the idea of using "Beauty Magics" for commercial gain, then you need to start dividing things up into different specialties.

Your could have each of the transmutation spells be "Instantaeous" in duration, but have them be as specialized as a plastic surgeons skills: Lip enhancement, breast augmentation, fat removers, muscle tonners, hair rujuvinisers etc. etc. The possibilities are nearly endless, and far more varied than anything we have in the real world.

That's funny ! :D

Just think of the exotic modifications that people might pay for in a somewhat decadent, high magic society.....

Bingo!

Originally posted by Tonguez

Um whats wrong with making this a skill check instead - perhaps disguise?

"By application of makeup and a few tricks you appear more beautiful than usual and gain a +1 bonus to Cha checks"

True, very true. Good use of that skill. Doesn't a disguise wash off after a day of adventuring, though?

Originally posted by Tonguez

Not to criticise but I see no point in wasting a spell when a skill could produce the same effect

I think I can understand your perspective, but think about it... a prospective customer for such a magical modification wants to look good always, especially in the morning (unless they have enough Disguise ranks that they can sleep with it on ... ???)

O.

Winternight

First Post
Orlic Pazafar said:

Lasting Beauty
Transmutation

As Beauty, but the duration is permanent, and the effect does not stack with other appearance-based magic bonuses to Charisma checks.

add:
XP Cost: 1000xp

see permanacy.

Zhnov

First Post
Winternight said:

add:
XP Cost: 1000xp

see permanacy.

Hmmm ... ?

Winternight, why is that? There are plenty of spells with a permanant duration, that don't have an XP requirement. Check out this spell's cousin, Polymorph Other.

Orlic

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads