• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Printers Can't Handle WotC's One D&D Print Runs!

"Our print runs are pretty darn big" says Jeremy Crawford

15692108293125663812.jpeg

One of the reasons why the three new core rulebooks next year will not be released together is because D&D is such a juggernaut that the printers can't actually handle the size of the print runs!

Jeremy Crawford told Polygon "Our print runs are pretty darn big and printers are telling us you can’t give us these three books at the same time.” And Chris Perkins added that "The print runs we’re talking about are massive. That’s been not only true of the core books, but also Tasha’s Cauldron. It’s what we call a high-end problem."

Reef

Hero
Such good products are absolutely out there, but I've been burned before so I don't trust it. If it works it will eventually become available through conventional channels, and I can support them then.
That's the way I operate a lot of times. I have backed projects earlier in their process, but only with companies I've dealt with successfully before. I generally prefer to back projects that are almost finalized, partly because I don't like waiting a year for completion. I try not to buy games I'm not sure I'll use, and if they're a year out, I never know what I'll be doing.

Dire Bare

Legend
so basically a preorder then, no option for stretch goals. Why do it at all then, is there a discount?
Why are we attacking @Micah Sweet's crowdfunding choices?!?!

He's not criticizing the model, just stating he prefers to back certain types of campaigns. What's wrong with that?!?!

There is a lot of disagreement in this and other threads right now, why do we have to go hunting for more reasons to snipe at each other?!?!

I also have become more cautious on what crowdfunding campaigns I back. I also try to back campaigns where product is ready or nearly ready to leave the warehouse (physical or digital). I too will often back at a digital only level. I too sometimes back campaigns where the products are not discounted and I could later purchase at retail. I realize crowdfunding "isn't a store" yadda-yadda . . . but i treat it as one, because it's my money and enjoyment on the line. So what?

Why are we attacking @Micah Sweet's crowdfunding choices?!?!

He's not criticizing the model, just stating he prefers to back certain types of campaigns. What's wrong with that?!?!

There is a lot of disagreement in this and other threads right now, why do we have to go hunting for more reasons to snipe at each other?!?!

I also have become more cautious on what crowdfunding campaigns I back. I also try to back campaigns where product is ready or nearly ready to leave the warehouse (physical or digital). I too will often back at a digital only level. I too sometimes back campaigns where the products are not discounted and I could later purchase at retail. I realize crowdfunding "isn't a store" yadda-yadda . . . but i treat it as one, because it's my money and enjoyment on the line. So what?
Same. An example for me would be the current Knave 2e campaign I'm backing. From what Ben has been saying, it sounds like a project that isn't far from being completed so I feel comfortable backing it knowing I'll largely be waiting on print material that may take some time given what we all should understand about the current printing situation. There's nothing wrong with not feeling comfortable backing a project that is barely started. I've backed at least one of them by Hit Point Press and it's been delayed so badly they've pledged to not launch future Kickstarter campaigns from now on until the material is at least 80% complete (I think).

They kickstart new products that are “ready to go”? I haven’t encountered that, but I don’t directly browse Kickstarter much.

I’m aware of biggish established hobby companies using kickstarter, but it’s still to fund products that aren’t finalized, certainly not “ready to go”.
Some publishers have the PDF product ready to go, while using Kickstarter to fund a print run that obviously isn't ready to go at the end of the campaign. I think those are the types of projects @Micah Sweet chooses to back.

Reef

Hero
Some publishers have the PDF product ready to go, while using Kickstarter to fund a print run that obviously isn't ready to go at the end of the campaign. I think those are the types of projects @Micah Sweet chooses to back.
I have to admit, that's a really nice thing about EN Publishing's Kickstarters. They deliver pdfs practically as soon as the Kickstarter ends. I've never had any regrets backing any of their works.

dbolack

Adventurer
They kickstart new products that are “ready to go”? I haven’t encountered that, but I don’t directly browse Kickstarter much.

Kickstarters come in at varying levels of completion. It's really all over and everyone has their own risk threshold for how far from "done" a thing is. Presumably the same is true for other platforms - folks who dabble in those spaces will have more input.

The spectrum runs from "I have a solid concept that I can write a coherent and appealing sales pitch" to "We need funding to print on a non-POD run" Though most, IME, are in the middle with core concepts playtested, concept or placement art may be done, there may be a cover, etc.. They are looking for funding for additional art, paid time for their own efforts, production costs, and the like. There are also cases where the producer has the wherewithal to do the thing but uses KS to gauge demand and use it as a promotional path.

Folks with vocal opinions on KS processes tend to be at the opposite ends of the spectrum - hence the Kickstarter vs Kickfinisher arguments,

I hope that mostly clarifies things.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
It is also important to note that I care about game content far more than layout and art. If it's written, then they are likely to have something for me even if they can't follow through with the project for whatever reason (legitimate or otherwise). As @Dire Bare says, I'm treating Kickstarter fundamentally like a store, and I do all the vetting I need to to maximize the chance of me getting what I paid for.

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
If they have product ready to go, they don’t belong on kickstarter.
Some certainly treat it more like a preorder system, have the PDFs ready to go and use the KS to gauge the print run size. No changes, no stretch goals.

No one is forcing you to invest in them if you do not want to, I don't think you have a case to say they do not belong on KS however - and KS would be stupid to not allow them and not get their fee...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads