• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The problem of sundering

2WS-Steve

First Post
I think if you are going to tell the fighter to suck it up, you better share the hate around to the wizards, clerics, and druids -- perhaps create some monsters that permanently destroy rings, wands, and wondrous items, or maybe just permanently destroy spell slots...

Otherwise, next week you might discover that there aren't any fighters left in your party.

Corinth

First Post
Sunder away. If its broken, slag it for materials and use it to make a replacement when you get back to town. It's not as if you can't buy or replace magic items anymore.

Jhaelen

First Post
James McMurray said:
We allow for reforging at a reduced cost.
Imho, that's the best solution. It also has a long tradition in fantasy literature.
IMC, I often use Weapons of Legacy. These are very difficult to destroy, can be reforged, and are a lot more fun than the majority of generic magic stuff.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Razz said:
This is the reason why I hate what I call the "metagaming rules". This is a pure case of metagaming.

"Oh, I'm not worried about my items. By the rules, I should have equipment suitable for my level so I'll get some back if something happens."
Of course, a fighter who loses his main weapon can also make his equipment level-appropriate again by dying and being raised/resurrected (or otherwise losing a level). Poorly-equipped fighters die more easily than well-equipped ones anyway. ;)

(That's not my how I'd handle the issue at hand in this thread, mind - merely a tongue-in-cheek reply to a hypothetical player's metagame reasoning per the above quote. :))

Crothian

First Post
James McMurray said:
That's great unless your GM is a stickler for CRs, which all assume you have your gear fro your level. TPKs can flow like water when GMs ignore the gear aspect of the CR system.

If the DM is a bad DM, blame the DM.

Pierson_Lowgal

First Post
...It's not as if you can't buy or replace magic items anymore.

Says who? Not in my campaigns.

More, generally, item dependence is a huge weakness of 3.X DnD. It makes the game too much about equipment and not enough about the player. This is not exactly a new argument. Lots of folk have been houseruling 3.X to put the power in the PC's heart, and not literally in his hands, for years.

painandgreed

First Post
Nathan P. Mahney said:
The player sucks it up and gets back to adventuring.

My vote, although I am in favor of multiply magic bonus on an item by 3-5 instead because I do think they should be harder the destroy than they are. Cheap reforging would also fit in there.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Razz, in my 3.5e PHB, the last line in the Sunder description (page 158, above "Throw Splash Weapon") gives the no-sundering-armour rule.

Cheers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads