The problem with D&D

Xini

First Post
Okay so me and my friend have spent many hours going over this again and again with possible solutions and theories. So far we reckon that either we need to abandon D&D or completely rewrite it.

The flaws in brief (as far as I can remember them)

#1 Power disparity
This is kind of the primary flaw in the whole system. A 3rd level fighter can probably take down two 1st level fighters. A 10th level fighter could quite conceivably take down a company of 1st level characters. Generally unless the lower level combatants start to use advanced tactics to ensure flanking bonuses and stacking aid anothers then they are like so much cream cheese in front of the death dealing monster.

#2 Class System
Right well your a wizard, you adventure for six months in the wilderness and come back with more knowledge of architecture??? Survival still remains cross class no matter what you do. Oh and wizards are just refused armour completely. Basically the whole concept of classes is restrictive and seems more like a good excuse to release reams of books than out of any intrinsic value to the idea. Oh and this also leads to the temptation to make the classes in the next book slightly more powerful or attractive than the last to try to tempt more people to buy the book.

#3 The whole d20 thing
Basically the d20 idea is not a good one from a statistics point of view and neither is it any good for representing what a person can reliably do as compared to what they could potentially do (ok that's like a reiteration of the statistics point). D&D has a flat probability curve. You are as likely to roll a 20 as a 1. That alone doesn't sound too bad but when you consider that 10 is basically a reliable result to reflect normal responses but rolling a 9 means failure then it's getting too twitchy and isn't a reliable result at all. There are ways around this but whilst still using the D20 system it tends to lead to more capability than you wanted and more cost than you can afford.

#4 Break points
Right well let's assume that your playing the game and your happy with the rules structure. At first level everything is deadly. Stubbing your toe can force you to return to a safe haven and rest up for 3 weeks whilst you regain your confidence. Now through your career your progressing (usually at an alarming rate or one so dull as to be torturous) and you hit some "break" points. The first is around level 6 and the others are usually about level 12 and leel 16, roughly in line with when a full BAB character gains an additional attack. At these points it seems your abilities suddenly shift up a gear and you become more than a mere level above your previous point. This is quite odd but it's all to do with how the level system works out and the way all those charts sum together.
Quite often what was a challenge the day before is now a walk over and you feel much more powerful. This would represent real life only in terms of psychology but here it's made real. Of course in about 2 levels your back to your normal state of pride ready for the next break but that's an aside.

#5 Magic
Okay so fantasy needs magic like Star Trek needs to be able to beam people or create food from nothing but the present philosophy regarding magic is terrible. Any time something happens which is not explained by what we regard as reality, it's labelled as magic. Strangely however it seems that magic is actually about a dozen different elements working in concert. No regard is paid to making any kind of sense with magic, it is just left completely open as some kind of weird thing which just does what it wants and yet conforms to the petty rules laid out in the books. Why oh why is there such restricted and tightly defined spells with almost no allowance for customisation and yet virtually anything can and will be explained away with a singular mention of the word magic. Personally I'd like to see some kind of overall general capabilities of magic which are guidelines for what magic can and cannot do whilst simultaneously relaxing the borders on spells so that a fireball (for instance) is not it's own spell but rather something you can do with a certain level of skill in a fire based spell. It'd be quite simple to break down most spells into various categories so that skills could be used and then each casters personal choice on where they place their skill points would be reflected in their capability with their spell selection.

As you can see just from that we pretty much shot the system to pieces. Why not change systems? Well we have a group of dedicated D&D players (read can't be arsed to learn a new set of rules) and the system is simple and keeps moving. If only it did not grind so much when people stopped just walking up and trying to trade blows in a static fashion.

We have looked into some alternatives but it seems that all of them are trying to differentiate themselves too much from D&D and end up being acquired tastes (something our players aren't liable to do willingly).

I do hope that any version 4 that the mages of muhlah come up with is an improvement but I fear that they believe so strongly in the d20 religion and the infallibility of the original D&D concepts that we are liable to be left with a simple rehash of what exists now, including all the flaws.

Yes we could just look for new players but we like the current lot (changing the system from ground up would be preferable to changing friends).

Oh and yes if your thinking that I'm a little old school then that's true. I do hanker after the days of musty black and white rule books with long words in them and a recommended age past ten. I don't see that as bad though as I increasingly am finding role-playing games getting "dumbed down" to attract larger portions of the populace. Thank he who always rolls 20 that Hero still exists as a paragon of complexity and I shall always be forever grateful for the unwieldy system of GURPS and all it's multitude of expansions. These systems show what's possible when you really want detail. D&D should not be consigned to the oversimplified section of role-play games. It should be the middle ground, the nexus and it's just so not.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Cool everybody's got a right to their opinion and if they feel like it they can tell the world. But don't expect anyone to care.

After all, you're asking that WoTC essentially rewrite the entire game including all its fluff and backstory to a completely different model. I've played GURPS and there's nothing wrong with it, I've played Exalted and it's fun. But I stick with D&D because of the very things you seem to hate.

So if what you like requires something totally different either build it yourself or use another system but don't insist that WoTC has to rewrite the entire game just for you.

[sblock]wonderful troll by the way[/sblock]

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Changing D&D as extensively as you would have to to accomodate the kind of 'realism' you want means your players will have to learn far, far more new rules, and most likely rules of a lower caliber, than if you were to switch systems.

Do yourself a favor - grab a copy of GURPS Lite (for the kind of things you want, GURPS is probably your best bet) and tell your players, either you're arsed to try this or somebody else takes over the GM's chair. GURPS Lite is a quick system to learn and will solve most, if not all, of your conceptual problems with D&D.

FWIW, what you see as problems with the system are almost certainly, with its brand recognition, its greatest strengths. D&D no more needs to realistically model combat and exploration than Monopoly needs to realistically model real estate trading. More realistic games are available in both fields, and their success is paltry in comparison.

dcas

First Post
Try Lejendary Adventure. Seriously, it addresses all of the issues that you raise except for #5, magic -- power disparity, class system, d20, and break points -- and does it in a (relatively) easy-to-learn and rules-light game.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Alternately, he could just play D&D, slow down advancement enormously, and have the entire campaign stick to levels 1-5.

And shame on the pair of level 1 fighters who attack the level 3 fighter head on. That's tantamount to a rigged fight, in my book.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd just play a different game, if I were you. It sounds like something like HARN would be right up your alley, focusing more on building reliable world physics than on heroic action/adventure like D&D.

Enjoy!

tzor

First Post
I’m certainly not going to dispute them, but are they “flaws” or are they “quirks.” Every system is going to have its own set of quirks. D&D is not supposed to be “realistic,” it’s supposed to be “heroic.” So point one is a design feature of the system, not a flaw. Conan going through the sea of low level nobodies to get at the BBEG is a primary source of inspiration for the system in general.

Point 3 is interesting. Yes a d20 only has twenty options. I recall when we complained that a d100 didn’t have enough options. Our group in RPI came up with a system where you rolled the complete fraction. So if you needed a 00.0002% chance to do something (and assuming that good was high) you needed to roll two 99’s and then a 98 in order to succeed. Yes we were young and in college, but was that math really necessary? Considering I know of a Dr. Who game that uses the difference of two six sided dice or success determination … the d20 comes up in the medium in terms of rule systems.

Frankly, and I’m being honest here. It really sounds that you are a GURPS like player. If you are not playing GUPRS you should be; it has all the features that you seem to want. There is nothing really wrong with that. I’ve played D&D, GURPS, Traveller, Vampire, and so on and so forth and they all had their good points and their bad points.

Remove ads