• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The problem with FLGS

jasamcarl

First Post
I agree, it was a nice read. Unfortunatly, it still appears you have taken it personaly. I qualified my posts with the assumptions I was making and pretty much stated that this was just off the top of my head. I responded because you didn't seem to get the theory. And I also found it odd that you dismissed the idea of pricing to the small super-spending crowd on the grounds of that there is essentially no ceiling to the increased value you can provide. Oh well..

Lets just say that you took it personally and are making disparaging remarks about assertions I haven't really made; namely that this MUST work for game stores. And the 'small business man conqueres all' BS has been done to death. It's basically an excuse for those who like to explain success without the intellectual rigour of actually dealing with humans as rational agents. By saying that your customers are price insensitive to the fullest extent, you are essentially dehumanizing them. If that is your actual attitude, and not simply some posturing on a messageboard, I think you will be in for a rude awakening in the future.

Last edited:

jasamcarl

First Post
And just to clarify, the overwhelming majority of your sales comes from the hardcore spenders? That is the only conceivable way your 'quality' emphasis would work? This seems like a far less viable abstraction in the long run that which I was proposing. I'll leave aside the fact that you conveniently left out the a numerical analysis of the obvious scenario (membership program for the hard of hardcore). But all you give me in return is...this?

You have little understanding of economic history if you don't think pricing ultimatly determines purchasing descicions, even for niche hobbies. Of course, you surprised me when you noted that your customers were not responsive to pricing. I can't imagine that. Have you been seeing the same people over the past 10 years? What you are essentially saying is that your service trumps product, because by buying from you, they are conceivable giving up the ability to purchase a product online. You could say you provide a complimentary service, in terms of exposing products, etc., but if you don't price that, what incentive do they have to actually make their purchase in your store? I suppose I might have underestimated the 'extreme geek', who is apparently completly unable or unwilling to assess a relative value of the game store experience. ;)

Last edited:

Teleri_mm

First Post
stick it to the man!

Here is how you stop this stuff:

Big stores put certain things on deep discounts hoping you come in and buy that item AND something else that they have marked up or at normal price. So if we all just bought the one item that they ether make no money on or lose money on then they would have to stop the practice…

So I just take comfort that Amazon made no money off my purchase. (I got 40% off the books plus free shipping using the 10% discount from a friend option and MSRP is roughly 50% for them.)

Anyway just buy stuff from those places but don’t buy what they want you to buy… only what they have on sale. Buy everything else from your local game store.

Teleri_mm

Enkhidu

Explorer
OK - I must be spoiled by my FLGS (The Bookery Fantasy in Dayton OH - check them out, they completely rock), because I'm buying the 3.5 books from them directly. Now get this - I'll be buying them for $60 plus tax, because I am a repeat customer.

I've been reading the exchanges back and forth about the topic of discounts to repeat customers, and was surprised that no one caught the "frequent flyer" program that was outlined by Dismas, above. His FLGS gives card punches every time he spends a certain amount of dough. So does the Bookery.

This is the way it works - each time I spend more than $20 bucks, I get a stamp. When I get 10 stamps, I get up to $30 bucks off my next purchase. So I have to spend at least $200 to get $30. It very much like the Subway Sub Club cards and stamps. Now here's why I think this works so well...

Most items in the store cost less than $20. Dice, modules, figs - Usually, when I get ready to check out, I've got about $15 worth of stuff...

... then I go back and get the extra $5 worth to qualify for my stamp.

Almost everyone else I know who frequents the Bookery does the same thing. I think - because they chose their price point to qualify for a stamp properly - they actually make money off of this card. Lord knows it's worked on me.

spacecrime.com

First Post
jasamcarl said:
Unfortunatly, it still appears you have taken it personaly.
It's not so much a matter of taking it personally. I just find you irritating.

I also think your assumptions are terrible, that your logic is ridiculous, and that you're trying to apply something you've only half-learned to real-world situations you know nothing about.

But it really isn't personal. :)

And I also found it odd that you dismissed the idea of pricing to the small super-spending crowd on the grounds of that there is essentially no ceiling to the increased value you can provide.
Sure, there's a ceiling. But it's higher than the one imposed by the customer's wallet. There's only so much money in there that's not allocated to food, rent, or even other entertainment.

More importantly, imposing a membership fee does nothing to get you more profit should you get more sales from that customer. You can only raise profit by raising the fee, and it's easier to sell product than an arbitrary fee change. This is one of the reasons I find your logic ridiculous, because you somehow believe it's easier to sell "Hey Joe, last year you paid $1000 to shop there. This year I'd like you to pay $1200 so I can make more profit" than it is to sell, "Hey Joe, have you tried this Heroclix thing? It's really cool! Let me give you a starter so you and Bob can try it out."

(jumping down to the next post for a moment)

And just to clarify, the overwhelming majority of your sales comes from the hardcore spenders? That is the only conceivable way your 'quality' emphasis would work?

Sorry, wrong.

The super-customers are actually a small percentage of sales. They are extremely profitable customers, because they require relatively little labor and yield large gross profits for that labor. They are a significant part of our gross profit, and many of them also lead other people to purchasing from us, so we take good care of them.

One of the reasons your membership fee idea stinks is that any fee low enough to appeal to most of the regular customers erases the profit gained from the supercustomers. Since our real-world experience with membership fees is that only customers who do better than break even use them, it's stupid to give up a lot of money from supercustomers when there's going to be no profit gain at the regular customer level.

By contrast, pursuing quality improves sales and profits on every customer level -- regular, super, <b>and</b> occasional. When I'm on my game -- which isn't nearly often enough -- I can send a customer who came in for Settlers of Catan ($40) home with $80 in additional purchases. Even if I never see that customer again, not uncommon of they're a tourist or other sort of out-of-towner, I've tripled my potential gain from that sale, and I've done it without giving up a cent in discounts. Smaller scale works too -- if Johnny comes in with 5 bucks looking for a pack of Magic, then I can put a big boost in my sale by selling him a bottle of soda to drink while he looks at his cards in one of our comfy chairs.

The way to improve sales like this is with selection, presentation, and salesmanship. <b>That's</b> how you get growth at this size of business -- by offering more and better stuff and a good shopping experience at a price you can profit from, not by offering the same stuff for less.

BTW, if you look at my previous post again, you'll see half of our money comes from Johnny One-Pack and other occasional and incidental purchases. In many ways, that's where the <b>real</b> money is -- in getting more money from those transactions one transaction at a time. One of the reasons your assumptions irritate me is because you're completely ignoring that segment of the market in your pursuit of the "regular customer" dollar.

Lets just say that you took it personally and are making disparaging remarks about assertions I haven't really made, namely that this MUST work for game stores.

What I've been trying to tell you is that this CAN'T work for game stores. The membership fee structure you've proposed is a Bad Idea in much the same way that "Hosting In-Store Nude Gamer Aerobics in the Middle of Christmas Season" is a Bad Idea.

I would love to hear other and hopefully better ideas from you, because you are making me think and that's good for my business. But no amount of stubbornness on your part is going to make this idea any better.

Quick thoughts about other posts, since god knows I'm trying everybody's patience enough with my mouthing off:

Teleri_mm: Much of what you say seems true to me. However, I want to restate something I said earlier: good stores use popular books like the D&D core rules to subsidize slower-turning books from smaller presses. If that kind of store loses too many core book sales to discounters, it's likely to cut back on other lines. If you're going to consider effects, you need to throw that one into the hopper.

I've also got to disagree with the idea that anyone can "stop this stuff". It's just not going to happen -- there will always be someone out there selling at near wholesale prices, no matter how much some store owners would like to believe otherwise. If you're a store owner, you either join them (usually suicide) or find another strategy that works for you. It's not easy, but that's why they call it "work."

Enkhidu: Stamp cards are another good way to do a small-scale frequent buyer's program, and as you've described it arguably does a better job of boosting sales. If I were starting over from scratch I'd probably do a rewards system that way, and I may yet bite the paperwork bullet and switch over to it. (There are some interesting customer recruitment angles to exploit by giving folks extra cards to give to their friends...)

cheers,

Last edited:

Krael

First Post
Wow

What a very well-written post that was, and explains things in terms even someone such as myself can understand.

I guess I count myself lucky, as my FLGS near here sells ALL new items (new meaning unopened/unused) at 15 or 20% off list price. They also have a HUGE used section of RPG's, along with regular books, CD's, and even Vinyl.

While the staff isn't very knowledgeable, they do have everything organized very well, so finding obscure games is fairly easy.

Krael

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Not to hijack this interesting thread, but I have a semi-related question for Spacecrime

Are game book routinely discounted from the cover price in the USA? Like, is that the default setting on them?

Because it sure isn't like that in Canada, and this place is rife with excellent gaming stores.

Last edited:

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Spacecrime.com, like many others here, I've gotten a real education from your last several posts. I also agree with a lot of what you have to say. If I may give you a free tip (one that you are welcome to take or leave), I'd just like to say that this sort of thing...

spacecrime.com said:

I also think your assumptions are terrible, that your logic is ridiculous, and that you're trying to apply something you've only half-learned to real-world situations you know nothing about.

...isn't doing your image here any extra good. I think you could have made all of the (excellent) points you have made while leaving that part out entirely and, not only would some people think more highly of you, but it would help "tone down the rhetoric" a bit and keep a very interesting thread from devolving into anything approximating a flame war.

By no means am I saying that you shouldn't disagree (perhaps strongly) with something someone says here. I do it all the time. But saying, "I hear what you are saying, but my experiences while actually running a gaming store don't bear out some of your assertions..." would get your point across just as well and would be less heated.

jasamcarl

First Post
spacecrime.com said:

But it really isn't personal. :)

Sure, there's a ceiling. But it's higher than the one imposed by the customer's wallet. There's only so much money in there that's not allocated to food, rent, or even other entertainment.

More importantly, imposing a membership fee does nothing to get you more profit should you get more sales from that customer. You can only raise profit by raising the fee, and it's easier to sell product than an arbitrary fee change. This is one of the reasons I find your logic ridiculous, because you somehow believe it's easier to sell "Hey Joe, last year you paid $1000 to shop there. This year I'd like you to pay $1200 so I can make more profit" than it is to sell, "Hey Joe, have you tried this Heroclix thing? It's really cool! Let me give you a starter so you and Bob can try it out."

(jumping down to the next post for a moment)

Sorry, wrong.

The super-customers are actually a small percentage of sales. They are extremely profitable customers, because they require relatively little labor and yield large gross profits for that labor. They are a significant part of our gross profit, and many of them also lead other people to purchasing from us, so we take good care of them.

One of the reasons your membership fee idea stinks is that any fee low enough to appeal to most of the regular customers erases the profit gained from the supercustomers. Since our real-world experience with membership fees is that only customers who do better than break even use them, it's stupid to give up a lot of money from supercustomers when there's going to be no profit gain at the regular customer level.

By contrast, pursuing quality improves sales and profits on every customer level -- regular, super, <b>and</b> occasional. When I'm on my game -- which isn't nearly often enough -- I can send a customer who came in for Settlers of Catan ($40) home with $80 in additional purchases. Even if I never see that customer again, not uncommon of they're a tourist or other sort of out-of-towner, I've tripled my potential gain from that sale, and I've done it without giving up a cent in discounts. Smaller scale works too -- if Johnny comes in with 5 bucks looking for a pack of Magic, then I can put a big boost in my sale by selling him a bottle of soda to drink while he looks at his cards in one of our comfy chairs.

The way to improve sales like this is with selection, presentation, and salesmanship. <b>That's</b> how you get growth at this size of business -- by offering more and better stuff and a good shopping experience at a price you can profit from, not by offering the same stuff for less.

BTW, if you look at my previous post again, you'll see half of our money comes from Johnny One-Pack and other occasional and incidental purchases. In many ways, that's where the <b>real</b> money is -- in getting more money from those transactions one transaction at a time. One of the reasons your assumptions irritate me is because you're completely ignoring that segment of the market in your pursuit of the "regular customer" dollar.

What I've been trying to tell you is that this CAN'T work for game stores. The membership fee structure you've proposed is a Bad Idea in much the same way that "Hosting In-Store Nude Gamer Aerobics in the Middle of Christmas Season" is a Bad Idea.

I would love to hear other and hopefully better ideas from you, because you are making me think and that's good for my business. But no amount of stubbornness on your part is going to make this idea any better.

Quick thoughts about other posts, since god knows I'm trying everybody's patience enough with my mouthing off:

Teleri_mm: Much of what you say seems true to me. However, I want to restate something I said earlier: good stores use popular books like the D&D core rules to subsidize slower-turning books from smaller presses. If that kind of store loses too many core book sales to discounters, it's likely to cut back on other lines. If you're going to consider effects, you need to throw that one into the hopper.

I've also got to disagree with the idea that anyone can "stop this stuff". It's just not going to happen -- there will always be someone out there selling at near wholesale prices, no matter how much some store owners would like to believe otherwise. If you're a store owner, you either join them (usually suicide) or find another strategy that works for you. It's not easy, but that's why they call it "work."

Enkhidu: Stamp cards are another good way to do a small-scale frequent buyer's program, and as you've described it arguably does a better job of boosting sales. If I were starting over from scratch I'd probably do a rewards system that way, and I may yet bite the paperwork bullet and switch over to it. (There are some interesting customer recruitment angles to exploit by giving folks extra cards to give to their friends...)

cheers,

I understand where you are coming from now. You don't reallly like to think. That is why you are irratated with me. And I don't buy your assumptions about your customers, and I certainly don't think it works in the long-term. And I'm sure you will find that to the be case in a few years, but oh well.

But that is alright. I was just throwing an idea out off the top of my head, and explicitly stated that it might not work. And by stating my assumptions, i was aknowleging that they were spotty. But i'll take it as a compliment that you went all out to to try do discredit an argument I was only half making. And it wasn't even a troll. I disclosed my intent from the begginning. ;)

Believe me, I more than half learned it. Internships give me some real-world experience. I'm still not sure you understand the theory, given several poorly chosen words, but oh well. Care to note how the underlying logic, taking the assumptions I made at the outset, was terrible?

And it seems that most of your customer's are in fact hardcore, given that they can be so easily swayed into purchasing $80 worth of gaming supps. Am I the only one who has more than one interest?

Last edited:

jasamcarl

First Post
You: One of the reasons your membership fee idea stinks is that any fee low enough to appeal to most of the regular customers erases the profit gained from the supercustomers. Since our real-world experience with membership fees is that only customers who do better than break even use them, it's stupid to give up a lot of money from supercustomers when there's going to be no profit gain at the regular customer level.

And this is where it becomes obvious you still don't understand my point. Jeez....

You don't want the regular customers to take up the membership. The membership idea is explicitly suppossed to guard against just this phenomena. When you need to discount, and you have obviously not tried it, you can retain the usual profit off of your hardcore. They obviously spend a limited amount on gaming stuff, otherwise you would be making more money than you do presently. Talk about stubborn, not to mention arrogant. Are you trying to claim that you are able to make everyone who enters your store pay up. What happens when more people become comfortable with internet purchases and pdfs? Product pricing will certainly become an issue then. But wait, you can just sell them your stellar personality. I have no doubt that salesmenship plays a big part of your business, but it most certainly has its limits, and in the long run, history has proven that subjective notions of 'quality' service crap out to major price disparities in the longrun; of course, your customers might just be bizarre. But again, you haven't even attempted a thorough discounting strategy, so oh well. ;)

Here is a hint. You can actually try a combination of both good service and price cuts. They are not at all mutually exclusive. To claim, as you have been doing, that you can only go one route or the other bespeakes of irrationality, but oh well. A combination of modest price cuts and good service (which probably has little to no cost) might do you wonders.

But you are right. I might be assuming most game store patrons are more rational than they actually are. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads