• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Psionicle, Part X

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Battle at the Library, Round 3

Initiative
Lornes - 28
Shadow - 23
Ruth - 21
Syld - 20
Kloranth - 19
Jansson - 18
Animus - 17
Cerak Hyranil - 17
Shardorn - 16
Tori'shel - 14
Jirlai - 10
Osius - 3

Lornes steps up to put himself in a position so as to be able to reach Jirlai, and casts a spell - as he finishes, a ray of coruscating energy leaps from his hand, heading for Jirlai...

Lornes gets a 7 on his ranged touch attack, which misses.

...and the ray narrowly misses Jirlai's shoulder.

The woman shifts her stance slightly, her gaze seemingly locked onto Animus, but other than that she takes no action.

Ruth starts to move, but then one of her feet starts to give way on the grease...

Ruth gets a 9 on her Reflex save.

...and her other foot joins it, and she falls harshly to the ground with a clatter.

Syld stands by and observes.

Kloranth seems to be listening to something, and his expression becomes that of one who is concentrating.

Jansson lunges at Jirlai, though unfortunately he doesn't have Ruth at the sorcerer's back and therefore doesn't gain any benefits from flanking him.

Jansson gets a 22, which hits! He deals deals 8 points to Jirlai.

The sorcerer winces as the halfling's blade cuts into him, but after a small moment shrugs the weapon out of his side with a gasp.

"Who am I?" The woman says after Animus sends her a missive. She smiles slightly, though there is no warmth in her expression. "I can't say that I am your death, as I am not allowed to kill you... however, I will say that I know more about you than you would think. How you are related to the girl, for instance." She narrows her eyes.

Animus seems to surprise her then, as he tumbles away and heads for Desimus' body. The sorcerer is hurt badly - there is a deep wound in his back that cuts across his entire side. Animus' quick assessment reveals that the sorcerer isn't breathing.

The woman casually walks after Animus, her weapon still drawn. She is still watching him intently.

The skeletal figure that Lornes summoned gropes at Tori'shel, attempting to contain her.

"Do not let it hold you!" Jirlai barks out quickly to her, and she nods slowly.

The cerak hyranil reaches out for Tori'shel with a skeletal claw...

It gets a 23, which hits.

...now having a firm grip on the girl's shoulder, it tries to hold her down...

It gets a 17 on its grapple check, while Tori'shel gets a 7.

...and it now holds Tori'shel firmly in its grip.

Shardorn runs up to Jansson, prays quickly and taps him lightly on the shoulder.

Jansson gets healed for 6.

Tori'shel scowls, then attempts to wriggle out of the skeletal figure's grip...

Tori'shel gets a 21, while the cerak hyranil gets a 12.

...and surprisingly enough, she manages to visibly weaken the hyranil's hold on her.

Jirlai angrily looks to the cerak hyranil, and starts speaking an intonation and making violent gestures with his hands. As he does, however, his feet begin to slip on the grease...

He gets a 16 on his Reflex save.

...but he retains his footing.

Seeing his opportunity, Jansson lashes out with his weapon.

Jansson gets an 18, which hits! He deals 9 points of damage to Jirlai.

The sorcerer scowls and buckles slightly...

Jirlai gets a 23 on his concentration check.

...but he continues chanting and motioning. A few moments later he finishes, and reaches out with a hand to touch Jansson...

He gets a 23, which hits!

...there is a shower of purple and red sparks as his hand connects with Jansson's shoulder...

Jirlai gets a 24 on his caster check.

...and Jansson can feel his life slowly draining away...

Jansson takes 15 points.

...Jirlai retracts his hand, though Jansson can see that the sorcerer is much more visibly healthy. He smiles, then dashes away from the halfling.

Suddenly, as Osius begins making his move, a shimmering oval-shaped doorway appears. A githyanki who looks vaguely familiar steps through the doorway, which then disappears. He quickly scans the surroundings.

After a small moment, some of you suddenly recognize him -
he is the githyanki who was at the yuan-ti encampment.

"You will go to the githyanki!" Jirlai cries in Tori'shel's direction, as he himself is near to the githyanki's position.

Osius, undeterred by the appearance of the githyanki, tumbles away to put himself between Jirlai and the doorway.

New initiative rolls, please, for those in the room, as the appearance of another combatant - especially in that manner - is cause for new initiative.

The map below is the situation as it stands at the end of Round 3. Note that the tan-colored areas are those that are currently affected by Syld's grease.

Damage Taken Thus Far
Jansson - 21; 2 Dex
Jirlai - 16

Attachments

• battle_map2.jpg
    battle_map2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 89

Creamsteak

Explorer
Animus glares at the figure, and ponders something mentally, "Why wouldn't she have the intent of killing me, but she would kill Desimus? Damn it, I'm tired of being manipulated..."

Animus delays to act at the beginning of the next round.

Sounding greatly aggrivated Ruth tries to get up from the ground.

Who was smart enough to put that stuff there! Damn this! And where did those other two go? AAANNIIMUUSSS????

INIT: 17

[OOC:Ruth tries to crawl out of the grease and move the 15 ft back to pick up her shield again and put the wand in bag nr.1 of her./OOC]

Last edited:

Zhure

First Post
Osius

ARgH, roll 1 + 2 = Initiative 3 -- at least my position in the chart doesn't change.

Osius readies an attack on Jirlai if he casts a spell.

Dalamar

Adventurer
OoC: New initiative: 13 + 2 = 15

IC: Syld looses a few moments as he is surprised by the githyanki, but then responds with another grease stain, catching both the gith and Jirlai in it (and it continuing towards Syld for the remaining squares).

Jarval

Explorer
Init 21, AC 20, HP 22/34, PP 3/8. Powers active: Animal Affinity (STR +5), Chrysalis

Initiative: 14 + 7 = 21.

Jansson growls in annoyance at both the Gith's sudden appearance, and the wounds that have now cut through his psionically induced buffer. He pulls Niko's pistol from his belt, and fires the weapon at the newcomer.

Initiative: 18+8=26

Interesting spell, but the sorcerer has much to learn in the terms of magical law.

Lornes strides just past Tori'Shel and his skeletal servant, around the grease. Whispering in her ear in common, "The spell effect you are under is an enchantment. You may put your hands over your ears, clamp tightly, and be mostly immune to the effect-trust me. He then speaks into where the skeleton's ear would be in an unknown language, before moving out and through the door in a calm fashion.

OOC-Summoned critters go on their master's inits. Noclar takes a double move action to go around the grease, take a 5 ft. diagonal step to ignore the Githyanki, and move just 5 ft. behind the door. My interpretation of the geas should be successful since, as long as Tori'Shel doesn't hear what Jirlai has to say, she is unaffected by teh geas. The skeleton will eitehr continue grappling Tori'Shel to the best of its ability.

Darkwolf

First Post
Initiative roll: 7 + 2 = 9

Narok wakes up and noticing Jansson bleeding slightly, casts Cure Light Wounds. He then walks 5 ft and touches Jansson.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Battle at the Library, Round 4

OoC: Sorry about the lack of update, I thought that someone hadn't posted... :eek:

Jarval - your Chrysalis hadn't run out, I just forgot about it. :eek: So you've only taken 19, not 21. I remembered it for the damage this round, so don't worry.

Sollir - summoned creatures going on summoner's init was something that I follow sporadically. After this battle, I'll make a decision on whether I'll use it, or whether they roll their own init... for the rest of this battle, it will go on your init, as per the rules, then.

Initiatives
Lornes, Cerak Hyranil - 26
Shadow - 23
Jansson - 21
Githyanki (
Ratheqar
) - 19
Tori'shel - 18
Animus - 17
Ruth - 17
Shardorn, Kloranth - 16
Syld - 15
Jirlai - 10
Narok - 9
Osius - 3

As Lornes passes by Tori'shel, Jirlai calls out. "Don't listen to him!" He yells. She looks at Lornes with a forlorn look, and only shrugs lightly.

Lornes then maneuvers himself, and gets to the doorway.

Meanwhile, the skeletal figure tries to pin Tori'shel once more...

It gets a 20 on its grapple check, but Tori'shel gets a 22.

...but it fails to get a tight hold on her.

The woman smiles at Animus. "Well... unfortunately, I can't stay... my ride is here..." She winks at him, and dashes down the hallway, headed for the large room.

Lornes -
You feel a sword slash at your back. You take 11 points of damage.

From the doorway, a woman clad in dark armor bursts out of the hallway. She is wielding a slightly curved blade, lined in blood. As she comes out, Osius tries to clothesline her with his morning-star...

Osius gets a 16, which misses.

...but she nimbly dodges out of the way. She stops in front of Jirlai, her blade raised.

Jansson pulls forth the pistol tucked into his belt, takes aim at the githyanki, and fires, a small shower of purple and silver sparks falling from the firearm.

Jansson gets a 23 on his manifester check.

Jansson gets a 20 on his attack roll, which hits!

The bullet seems to strike the githyanki...

The gun gets an 18 on its student check.

...and it blows into him, with a spark of silver and purple light.

The githyanki takes 6 points.

The githyanki smiles at Jansson, though he simply stands there, apparently waiting for something, as he is glacing at Jirlai in irritation.

Tori'shel pushes the skeleton away from her, attempting to escape it's claws...

Tori'shel gets a 21 on her Escape Artist check, while the cerak hyranil gets a 10 on its grapple check.

...and she kicks it away, landing lightly on her feet next to it. She runs for the githyanki.

Animus waits...

Ruth crawls slowly out of the grease, moving as carefully as possible to avoid slipping. She then runs fifteen feet away from it, grabbing her shield.

Kloranth curses. "Damn... should've known. That's Luna there, in the doorway. Be wary!"

Shardorn touches Jansson lightly on the shoulder, chanting a short prayer...

Jansson gets 8 back.

...and several wounds close and disappear at her touch.

Syld concentrates for a moment, and yet another patch of grease appears, catching Jirlai, Luna, the githyanki, and Tori'shel...

All four make their saving throws.

...however, all of them remain standing.

Jirlai turns to the githyanki. "We can't take the priest... but she must be dealt with." He begins chanting, pulling a small pearl out of a pouch. As he does, however, his feet being to slip...

He makes his reflex save.

...but he continues, his feet finding purchase. A moment later, the room feels cold, and a burst of shards of ice and cold wind spreads from the far end of the room, the extreme edge coming just short of where the sorcerer stands.

Ruth, Narok, Shardorn, and Kloranth all take 30 points of damage.

Jansson takes 28 points of damage.

Syld takes 15 points of damage.

The burst of ice and wind goes as quickly as it came, though Jansson, Narok, and Shardorn have fallen, pools of blood surrounding quickly melting ice littered around their bodies.

Jirlai nods. "Now we can go."

Narok bleeds.

The githyanki nods. "Let us go." He gestures to Jirlai, Luna, and Tori'shel. "Hold hands. Make a circle." They do so, and you can see the githyanki concentrate. As he begins to do so, he almost slips...

He makes his reflex save.

...but he does not. After a few long moments, the four disappear in a flash of purple light, leaving no evidence that they were in the library.

End combat.

Damage Taken
Jansson - 39, 2 Dex [bleeding] (-5/34)
Ruth - 30 (5/35)
Syld - 15 (6/21)
Narok - 30, bled once [bleeding] (-3/28)
Shardorn - 30 (down)
Kloranth - 30
Lornes - 11

Remove ads