• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Pugilist - Round 2! The monk variant class with muscle and moxie is back with reader feedback incorporated!

coolgamertagbro

First Post
Ding, ding, ding!

The pugilist is back for round 2! After undergoing some pretty serious revisions since the previous draft, the pugilist is ready to flex its considerable muscle and show off its new moves. For folks who missed round 1, the pugilist is a variant of the monk class turning the monk’s mystique and finesse into swagger and strength. Head on over to the Sterling Vermin Adventuring Co. to check it out!

the Pugilist, Revised Draft

I'll need to play around with this, but as it stands, this is my character, Armstrong, to a T and I love it. I'll let you know if there's anything that needs fixing after some rigorous playtesting.

coolgamertagbro

First Post
I'll need to play around with this, but as it stands, this is my character, Armstrong, to a T and I love it. I'll let you know if there's anything that needs fixing after some rigorous playtesting.

Thanks so much! The next draft is already ready, actually, and includes some really huge changes. I will PM you the new document if you want.

I apologize, I realize this is too strong. It overshadows the Cross Counter, which is a pretty staple ability for that particular archetype.

Last edited:

I think the Unarmored Defense was a key feature to this class. It made them feel like the archetypal rabble rouser. Aside from that, the new version looks perfectly balanced.

Last edited:

Just noticed that you took away the d12 Hit Dice. I think that it was fine, given that all their damage mitigation comes from Temporary HP. If you make the "Dig Deep" ability cost a Moxie point in addition to its exhaustion, it should free up the space for them to have the Unarmored Defense and the d12 hit dice. This class isn't built to shy away from danger, it's built to charge headlong into it, and it's not as fast as a monk, meaning it needs more health.
Also, I bring up that Temporary Hit Points don't stack. If you still have some, they're overwritten by the next bunch, if the next bunch is greater in number. This means that all their abilities that grant them Temp. HP don't stack and simply act as damage mitigation.

Last edited:

I'll play test the update as it stands and just give them the Unarmored Defense. See how it plays. The Unarmored Defense feature is definitely flavorful and greatly benefits the class, but it's understandable that one might want to remove it. I can understand why lowering the hit dice was necessary, but putting it all the way back down to a d8 might cause problems for the class, especially if their AC is hard-capped at 19 without multiclassing (12+5 Dex Mod+Soft Cover from Meat Shield). I think a d10 would fit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads