The Ranger as... Urban Thug?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Mark said:
I respectfully disagree. In essense, when you choose a favored enemy you are merely using them as the focus for your tactics and strategies. You could be evil, focusing that training on the good people of your own race, or good, with the opposite intent. Knowing something is far different than putting it into practice and how you put it into practice determines your alignment, not the knowledge itself.

I agree with you. I could see somebody like a police officer having Favoured Enemy: human. Seems to make sense.

Not that there's anything wrong with being Evil...

Black Omega

First Post
I liked MC'ing ranger with rogue for a urban thug or bounty hunter. More ranger levels than rogue, but rogue gives those handing gather info social skills as well as more skill points and sneak attacks. If you have to bring them back alive nothing is better than using a sap with sneak attack on a favored enemy.:)

Xilo

First Post
very cool idea.... might even try rolling one up when I get home. One question though...how do you figure in the high ranger level spells? after all aren't they very 'wildreness' based?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Xilo said:
very cool idea.... might even try rolling one up when I get home. One question though...how do you figure in the high ranger level spells? after all aren't they very 'wildreness' based?

3rd level Ranger spells seem to be the worst, with only Greater Magic Fang, Neutralize Poison, Summon Nature's Ally III, and Remove Disease as your non-wilderness spells. However, a Ranger won't get more than 3 or 4; and those four spells aren't bad at all.

Other levels don't seem as wilderness orientated - or rather, the wilderness aspect of the spells is easy to get around (speak with rats or pets to discover information, befriend guard dogs, use carrier pigeons, divine secrets from a house plant, etc.).

Ace

Adventurer
Squire James said:
The other cheap way of choosing your urban enemies well is to play an Elf (or any other non-human, but I guess Elves have that baad reputation as human-killers for some reason)... no problems choosing Human as your favored enemy then! I'm not sure it's worth giving up the skill points and feat, though.

Half elf is the way to go if your DM won't rule zero Favored Enemy

Nightvision ,+1 to all senses those make up for the lost feat and skills.

Also if you plan any funky multi classing Any as a prefered class is real nice too.

Remove ads