• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Ranger: to Spell or not to Spell

paladinm

First Post
We have the thread about whether paladins should be spell-casters.. We need to have the same discussion about rangers.

Paladins were not originally spell-casters, nor could they turn undead. In OD&D Greyhawk, they were fighters first and foremost. They did have the ability to heal via Laying on Hands, to Detect and Dispel Evil, to remove a curse, and to summon a warhorse; and they had a perpetual Protection from Evil aura and were immune to disease. Spells and turning undead didn't come along until 1e. In BD&D, they were Definitely a spell-casting and undead-turning class, as a cleric of 1/3 of their level. With all the other abilities that have been tacked-on over the years, an argument can be made that one can be an effective paladin without true "spellcasting".

Rangers, on the other hand, have gone the other direction. The original ranger, from Strategic Review, was also a fighter, but also had limited arcane and cleric spells at higher levels. Tracking has been a part of the class all along, as has the "favored enemy" feature (originally "giant class") but not 2-weapon fighting Or archery. In 1e, the cleric spells were changed to druidic. BD&D did not have a true "ranger" class; there were 2 classes from the Gazetteers and Princess Ark series, the Forester and the Druidic Knight. Foresters were straight-up fighter/mages, while druidic knights acted like BD&D paladins with druidic spells. By 3.x, arcane spells were dropped for the ranger and the archery/2-weapon builds were added, and the ranger gained more rogue-ish abilities; and by 4.0 (and C&C), the ranger had become virtually a purely-martial rogue/fighter hybrid.

The debate on the paladin applies equally to the ranger. Should rangers have spellcasting? Should they be purely "martial"? If so, what special abilities should they have? Are they really glorified fighter/thieves who do their thieving outside?

delericho

Legend
Honestly, I think the Ranger class has outlived its usefulness. Take the martial stuff and blend it with the Barbarian (and perhaps then blend both with Fighter); take the spellcasting and blend it with the Druid. Then model a 'ranger' be some multiclass combination of Fighter, Barbarian, Rogue and Druid (in proportions to suit the individual player).

If we're keeping a distinct Ranger class, it should retain spellcasting, being halfway between the martial Fighter and the primal Druid. The Paladin should likewise retain spellcasting, being halfway between the martial Fighter and the divine Cleric. And there should be a 'partial spellcaster' Mageblade that is halfway between the martial Fighter and the arcane Wizard.

Either solution is fine by me, BTW. But pick one, and go with it!

Ahnehnois

First Post
I think it should not be a default, but probably an option.

The heart of the ranger is a skilled tracker and wilderness warrior. The animal companion, spells, and favored enemy aren't as essential to me. We can broaden the combat styles too.

paladinm

First Post
That's how it originally worked.. The ranger got a few arcane and a few cleric spells at higher levels. Eventually it went to arcane/druid, then to all druid.

If they don't get spells, what spell-like abilities should they have? Somehow what they have now seems.. blah.. and they have become a fighter/rogue hybrid.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I say yes to core rangers having spells.

It adds to the self sufficiency angle that the ranger has. The "lone ranger" needs healing spells to recover from skirmishes with wild animals and magical beasts. It would need anidote spells to remove natural toxins and venoms.. Animal and plants spell would be helpful too. Also rangers would need ways to counter magical ways to cover tracks.

If magic is no part of the ranger, it would need so other way to mimic this abilities. The noncasting rangers of D&D annoyed me. I have to beg the DM to get the ability to gather plants to neutralize a poison or treat a disease.

A ranger should be able to treat injuries, handle animals, and remove poisons at the very least. In D&D, spells is the easy way.

Gargoyle

Adventurer
I say yes to core rangers having spells.

It adds to the self sufficiency angle that the ranger has. The "lone ranger" needs healing spells to recover from skirmishes with wild animals and magical beasts. It would need anidote spells to remove natural toxins and venoms.. Animal and plants spell would be helpful too. Also rangers would need ways to counter magical ways to cover tracks.

If magic is no part of the ranger, it would need so other way to mimic this abilities. The noncasting rangers of D&D annoyed me. I have to beg the DM to get the ability to gather plants to neutralize a poison or treat a disease.

A ranger should be able to treat injuries, handle animals, and remove poisons at the very least. In D&D, spells is the easy way.

I agree that they should have those abilities, but I prefer martial practices or some other system.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
To Spell or not to Spell...?

Yes, and No.

The class should have the ability to pick and choose at character creation, what type of Ranger it is. Whether one with spell ability, and one without - but provides abilities in line with the concept that "even it up" with the spellcasting version.

B-)

Elf Witch

First Post
I am in the camp of at least having the options of having spellcasting available.

I have used a ranger variant in my game for a player who wanted a ranger without magic.

In that game we had both styles of rangers and it worked well.

I would not want it folded into the barbarian. I don't see how having the ability to rage fits with a ranger at all.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I agree that they should have those abilities, but I prefer martial practices or some other system.

Yes, and No.

The class should have the ability to pick and choose at character creation, what type of Ranger it is. Whether one with spell ability, and one without - but provides abilities in line with the concept that "even it up" with the spellcasting version.

B-)

Pretty much.
I don't care how they give rangers healing, antidotes, animal and plant handling, environmental survival, detection, and stealth abilities.

It could be magic
It could be ingrained in the skill system
It could be part of the crafting system
It could just be specific ranger class features

It just has to be there.

Remove ads