The Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions

Drealond Khemir

First Post
The Mendicant...

"Yeah... the new improved mendicant - now with player character-mincing style. "

JP, I'm not so sure you're supposed to be enjoying that fact QUITE as much as you seem to be. :)

Jon Potter

First Post
Editting Finished.

I've just finished going through the old posts and editting them per PirateCat's suggestions (adding spaces between paragraphs and condensing some of the smaller paragraphs). I like the new flow quite a bit more than I care to admit since I didn't think of the modifications myself.

So a big thank you to PCat for the editorial assistance; it should benefit my writing in the long run.

And Drealond... err, Draelond... I didn't say that I was enjoying the mendicant's killing ability, merely noting it. Truth be told, I don't really want him to kill everybody off - that would really upset the rest of the campaign. And by "upset" I mean throw it straight out the window. :) But sometimes, that's just the way the die rolls. If there's no risk then there's no heroics, and without heroics there's really no reason to play the game in the first place, IMO.

And I don't think the name thing is a big deal. If it really bothers you, you could always register again with the correct spelling.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #199] And The Walls Came Tumbling Down

Kirnoth activated the Ring of Invisibility again and repositioned himself to make another attempt to liberate the infant. The pain in his flayed hand made his grab weak and ineffectual. He became visible again in the process.

"Once the Binding is complete," Elgoth hissed at the elf, "you will die as none has died since the time of the Godwars. It will be glorious," he asserted and grinned evilly. When the Plaguebringer smiled, Kirnoth saw that the man's gums were bleeding rather profusely and his teeth were slick and red.

The mendicant looked up at Finian and crossed the distance to the wall in two strides. "Let's see what we've got here," it burbled as it gripped the tapestry then and pulled.

The iron rings that were holding it to the ceiling burst from the strain, pelting the Archer with tiny bits of metal. He retained his balance on the wall with little difficulty, but his return shot with the bow was horribly off. His arrow shattered against the stone dais at the mendicant's taloned feet. And, of course, Finian's concealment was now gone.

The tapestry fell in a drift against the rear of the stage, revealing a door set into the wall there.

The wererat was pushing her way through the chaotic mass of cultists and it would take her some time to make it within striking distance. Ledare hoped that they'd have the baby and be making a hasty retreat by that time. She had to do something to make the priest - if that's what he was - release his hold of the infant.

Ruze was keeping occupied the guard he'd wounded with one scimitar and the guard who had wounded Ledare with the other. He couldn't land a blow, but the blades danced in a flashing display that kept his opponents from wounding him either. Draelond took a step up the stairs and brought Ravager around in a vast sweeping motion.The blade severed one guard's leg just below the right knee and caught the other man in the right thigh. The guard was swept off his feet and fell on his back; his head made a sickening cracking sound as it struck the stone stairs.

"Can you hold the stairs, Ruze?" Draelond asked hastily.

The Battleguard turned, his eyes falling upon the two dagger-wielding cultists who were approaching. "If Shaharizod wills it," he growled.

Ledare made a partial charge across the dais toward Elgoth. Her sword flashed out, aiming low as she'd seen Draelond do, in the hopes that she'd have similar success. The silver-iron longsword sliced through the man's robe, connecting with the meat of his right calf. He cried out, but didn't fall. Neither did he remove the blasphemous symbol of Aphyx from the infant's chest. Ledare could see now that the air around the symbol seemed to be wavering, as if reality itself were running like candle wax.

Elgoth turned to regard the Janissary with unflinching hatred. His eyes were lit with madness and pierced Ledare despite the rheumy film that covered his pupils and the disgusting crust of dried puss that ringed their lids.

With the robed man momentarily distracted, Kirnoth made another grab for the infant and failed. "You'll never take her from us!" the baby's mother spat at the elf, her breathing ragged and wet. "She is the Chosen One! Lady Pestilence incarnate! A Goddess to walk Oerune!"

At the sound of Elgoth's cry, the mendicant turned and groaned in frustration. It glanced up at Finian and made a casual gesture. Instantly, the Archer was blinded as darkness blossomed around him.

"I'll deal with you later, sweetmeat," the mendicant chuckled and closed with Ledare. Its claws whistled through the air above the Janissary's head, narrowly missing her.

Finian moved carefully out of the darkness and fired another arrow at the mendicant, but this one was easily turned aside by the creature's thick, black scales.

At the stairs, Ruze's scimitars enacted a dance of death on the robed cultists. He had the advantage of higher ground and greater skill and he cut down with ease the first two to reach the stairs. The robed assailants were lined up four deep behind them, however and behind them were several armed and armored guards. Beyond that, Ruze couldn't see and didn't care; he was at peace with his goddess and would guard this stair with his life if that's what it took to stop the spread of Evil.

Draelond saw the huge mendicant close with Ledare and slash at her ineffectually. While its attention was focused on the Janissary, he charged into a flanking position and laid open its back with his bastard sword. Ravager parted the creature's scales hungrily and bit into the flesh beneath. The mendicant jerked in pain even as vile yellow ichor began to paint its black scales. It slashed at Draelond, but its claws were turned aside by the man's chainmail.

Ledare ignored the mendicant for the moment, trusting her companion to keep the creature occupied. Her target was Elgoth; if she could distract him, perhaps Kirnoth could finally grab the baby and they could quit this place. Her sword came up and then down in a vicious arc, slashing across Elgoth's left forearm. The man's chainmail absorbed the worst of the damage, but Ledare's longsword still managed to taste his blood a second time. Again, he gritted his teeth against the pain and maintained his grip on his concentration. "Rake!" he hissed up at the huge mendicant. "Protect me, damn you!"

As Elgoth's eyes turned up to the foul creature, Kirnoth again grabbed for the baby and this time, he succeeded. The infant slid greasily out of its mother's arms and out from beneath the dark symbol of Aphyx. In one graceful motion, the elf swooped the limp baby up into his arms and activated the Ring of Invisibility.

"Nooo!!!" Elgoth screamed as Kirnoth vanished. The hand holding the unholy symbol swished through empty air where the elf had stood moments before.

The mendicant slashed with its claws, splitting its attention between Ledare and Draelond. It ripped open the Janissary's swordarm at the elbow, sending her to the floor and her protective couter ricocheting off the stone altar. Draelond felt the thing's talons rake across his abdomen, parting his chainmail like parchment. He was within precious few steps of death, but he retained his feet.

"Ledare?" he groaned, but there was no response.

Again, Finian fired an arrow at the mendicant, and again he missed. Cursing, he moved along the wall to get a closer shot.

Ruze heard Draelond's cry and glanced back to see the Janissary lying very still beside the unhallowed altar. The Battleguard swung the scimitar in his right hand, spilling a cultist's guts before he turned to head for Ledare's side. Daggers came at him out of the crowd as he exposed his flank, but none managed to connect and he was able to scramble quickly out of their reach. He saw an old man creep out from the shadow of the altar stone and hunch over Ledare's body.

Staggering with pain, Draelond roared and brought Ravager to bear on the mendicant. Again the saw-toothed weapon chewed through Rake's scales, this time opening a wound on the creature's left forearm that went clear to the bone. It bellowed in pain and then glowered down at the man.

"I'm going to decorate my throneroom with your entrails, insect," Rake gurgled, phlegm drooling from its scabbrous mouth. It clutched its injured arm with its other hand and Draelond saw the wound heal at its touch.

That was when Elgoth smashed the black symbol on the altar in impotent rage. The device shattered, causing a wave of black energy to roar through the temple, shaking the stone to its foundations. Finian was knocked off his perch as the walls convulsed like a living thing beneath him. He landed well, suffering only a few minor bumps and bruises. Suddenly, large chunks of the ceiling began raining down on the congregation. The cultists screamed as the jagged shards sheared flesh and shattered bone.

A chunk of the ceiling fell onto the stage, inches from Kirnoth's head. He dodged out of the way at the last moment, shielding the still unmoving infant with his body. The others likewise narrowly avoided scraps of falling stone that came thundering down onto the dais. A sizable chunk struck Elgoth in the left arm. He fell forward across the altar, pinning the baby's mother to its surface.

The cultists were making a mad dash for the exit. Some of them seemed to make it, but it was obvious that the temple would become a grave for any who didn't quickly escape. Rake clearly saw that was the case and produced a small potion from its belt. "Another time, perhaps," it mused, bringing the bottle to its lips.

Draelond, seizing the distraction, swung Ravager and connected with the mendicant's right foot. But Rake managed to down the elixir despite the attack and instantly assumed a gaseous form.

Beside the altar, Ruze saw that the old man had bound Ledare's elbow with a scrap of his own tattered robe. Her bleeding had stopped and her condition stabilized.

"Who are you?" the Battleguard demanded and the old man looked up fearfully.

"My name is Rherram," he managed to say through lips swollen from a severe beating. "I'm a healer. We must get out of here."

As the ceiling and walls continued to crumble, Elgoth stirred atop the altar, rising unnaturally to a standing position. He threw back his head, his battered and bloodied arms spread wide and roared with a voice that was not his own. The voice was amplified far beyond what a mortal's could ever attain and it sent waves of dread through each of the Companions.

"I AM MADE FLESH!!!"

Jon Potter

First Post
Finian picked himself off the floor and glanced out at the temple proper. Those cultists who hadn't been crushed outright by falling debris were franticly exiting through the archway and the double doors beyond. Ruze and Rherram were hunched over Ledare's unmoving body and Draelond was standing nearby clutching his bloody abdomen and looking fearfully at Elgoth. If it was in fact Elgoth anymore. The Elgoth-thing stood stiffly with arms thrown wide. Malice seemed to be coming off him in waves. There was, of course, no sign of Kirnoth.

Finian moved forward, fumbling for the kit holding the Cure Wounds potions as he went.

"AT LONG LAST MY POWER SHALL-" the voice faltered as Elgoth - or whatever power had taken possession of his body - looked curiously at his hands. The fingers on both were twisting as if arthritis were rapidly deforming the bones within. "THIS IS NOT THE VESSEL."

"We need to get out of here," Rherram asserted again to Ruze and this time he grabbed hold of Ledare's unconscious body trying without much success to muscle her off the floor.

"THIS IS NOT THE VESSEL!!! " the impossibly loud voice bellowed.

The sound echoed and re-echoed off the walls, dislodging more stone and dust from the ceiling and causing the floor to buckle ominously. A wave of palpable, otherworldly dread washed out over the Companions. Draelond, who was standing just to the right of the Elgoth-thing, had an all too clear view of bones twisting, boils spreading across bare flesh and of puss drooling from a grotesquely huge mouth. He was stunned for an instant. His mind became untethered, floating free in a vast expanse too great to comprehend. He felt a prickle of pain deep inside his skull as his nose began to bleed.

And he ran for the exit, dodging falling debris as he went.

Jon Potter

First Post
Kirnoth had made his way invisibly across the treacherous temple floor. Many of the pews had been smashed to flinders and two of the flaming braziers had been overturned, spilling their hot coals onto the stone floor. The elf dodged falling rock and jumped over the broken bodies who hadn't managed to avoid the same. The cultists and guards who had survived - perhaps half of the original number - were frantically pushing and shoving one another in an effort to crowd through the double doors leading to the vestibule and the stairs up and out of the complex.

The Ring of Invisibility that they'd taken off of Andamacles' corpse was faulty, the mage knew. Finian had repeatedly warned him that its glamor would fail should Kirnoth be struck or touched by someone while he was invisible. It seemed unlikely that he'd be able to follow the crowd out through the doors without being jostled and having his magic disrupted. Becoming visible - holding the cataleptic infant - amidst the very group from whom he'd stolen the child appealed to him not at all.

There were two doors in the wall opposite the temple archway that they hadn't yet explored. Perhaps they led to safety.

"THIS IS NOT THE VESSEL," Kirnoth heard the inhumanly loud voice growl and he glanced back at the dais. Elgoth stood over the altar looking at his hands. He seemed to be surrounded by some sort of distortion that made the air nearby waver as if with forge heat. Ruze and the old man Finian had said was named Rherram were crouched over Ledare's body. Rherram seemed to be trying ineffectually to drag the Janissary's armored body. Draelond stood nearby, his bastard sword hanging loosely in one hand. Behind them all, Finian was getting shakily to his feet.

"THIS IS NOT THE VESSEL!!! " the voice bellowed again and Kirnoth darted quickly through the leftmost door. The room beyond was plain, disorganized and filthy. Ten dirty cots lined the walls. Each cot had a small trunk at its foot. The walls were painted fecal brown, and the floor was tiled with dull-yellow stone. There were no other exits.

A huge crack appeared in the ceiling of the room and began raining dust. An ominous grating sound as stone ground against stone seemed to come from every direction. It was maddeningly loud and it rumbled in Kirnoth's guts.

The elf quickly ducked back out of the room and went to the other door. That room was no exit either. It smelled thickly of sweat and was in complete disarray. Six unmade cots sat in a haphazard row against the far wall. Each had a small trunk at its foot. A communal sleeping area heaped with clothing, weapons, and personal items filled the left side of the room. A round table covered with tankards, tools, and three half-assembled suits of chainmail stood to the right.

More debris fell to Kirnoth's right and the elf staggered against the door frame, choking on clouds of raised dust. He didn't need to be a dwarf to know that this place wasn't going to stay together much longer. The pounding of racing feet reached his ears and he turned in time to see Draelond dash out through the double doors hot on the fleeing cultists' heels.

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #199c] Get While The Getting's Good

With a silky double hiss Ruze's scimitars slid back into their sheaths. He unslung his warhammer and pressed it into Rherram's hands. "Use this as need be," the Battleguard instructed.

The old man looked at the sledge and shook his head. "I wouldn't even know how-"

"No time for arguments!" Ruze grimaced as he lugged the Janissary into a sitting position. "Take it and help me lift Ledare onto my shoulders!"

"YOU!" the Elgoth-thing growled, regarding with infection-crusted eyes the woman who had just given birth. He reached down, grabbed her by the throat and hauled her kicking into the air. Blood-filled boils blossomed across her head and shoulders spreading outward from the thing's scabbrous touch. Maggoty pieces of his flesh were sloughing off his body with every movement. "YOU FAILED ME!"

"Finian! To Me!" Ruze bellowed in his temple parade ground voice as he strained to his feet with nearly two hundred pounds of armored half-elf slung across his shoulders.

"I'm right here!" the Archer protested, trotting up to the Battleguard's side. He had the small case of healing potions in his hand. Ruze reached out and took them from him.

"Give me those," he grunted. "I and Rherram will take care of Ledare. You use the slippers to follow Draelond along the walls and look for Kirnoth. I will meet you on the path to Grey House. Or, if not there then at Grey House itself in two days."

"Finian, m'boy!" Rherram blurted, as a grin spread across his swollen lips. "You've colored your hair! And what happened to your ear?"

Finian lay a quick hand on the healer's shoulder. "We'll catch up later," he said. "Stick close to Ruze!"

A chunk of stone nearly a dozen feet across crashed thunderously to the floor, crushing several rows of pews to kindling.

"Go now!" the Battleguard commanded, nodding toward the exit. He watched the Archer hustle off amid the debris. "Queen's speed! Stay out of trouble!"

"THESE HANDS ONCE RIPPED THE BEATING HEART FROM DRIDANA'S BREAST! MY POWER WAS WITHOUT EQUAL!" the Elgoth-thing was shrieking. With each word he shook the woman in his hands. She was no longer struggling and her limbs flapped back and forth. "YOU WERE CHOSEN TO CARRIER THE SEED OF MY RESURGANCE! AND YOU FAIL-" He stopped shaking her, realizing at last that she was already dead, and he tossed her aside with a disgusted sneer. She sailed through the air before thudding wetly against the right hand wall and collapsing in a ruptured heap on the floor. The putrescent mass of her corpse crawled instantly with parasites.

"Flor have mercy!" Rherram hissed as he witnessed the horror. The Elgoth-thing looked up at him as if noticing his prescence for the first time.

"YOU DARE MENTION HER?! HERE?! IN MY OWWG AHHGK?!" Elgoth's words devolved into nonsense as his tongue burst apart and his lips rotted off his face. His sallow, blistered body looked like a fluid-filled sack supported by a malformed skeleton. He took a step and his leg snapped off at the knee, spilling worms from the ruined joint. "OO HIG HIE!! OO AWG HIG HIE!!!"

The ceiling opened above his head, splattering him beneath several hundred tons of stone.

"He... It... It's dead!" Rherram informed the Battleguard. Ruze, who was moving for the exit at his best speed, merely grunted his acknowledgement. The ceiling continued to collapse and stone rained down. Ruze shuffled along as fast as he could under his heavy burden with the old healer easily keeping pace with him as he went. Rherram darted through the double doors and turned to usher Ruze through when the ceiling finally gave way entirely, driving the cleric and his insensate burden to the ground beneath an avalanche of rock and earth.

"Nooo!!" Rherram's anguished voice echoed up the stairs

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #199d] Showdown in the Courtyard

There was no sign of Draelond or Kirnoth. By the time Finian had retraced his steps around fallen chunks of stone and the trampled bodies of those cultists unfortunate enough as to have fallen in front of their panicked fellows Rherram was rolling rubble aside. Ruze and Ledare were lying, half-buried beneath the cave-in. There was blood on Rherram's hands. The light from the Archer's drawn sword alerted the healer to his presence and he cried out, "Help me! They're bleeding to death! If we can get to the healing potions we might save them yet!"

"Better yet," Finian said and pulled out the one potion bottle that he'd kept. He crouched down and started to administer half of the curative to Ledare. "I was saving this for Draelond, but under the circumstances..."

"Help those in the most need, m'boy" the old man said. "It's the healer's code." Rherram checked the lifebeat in the Janissary's wrist; it was weak but steady. "She's stabilized," he informed the half-elf and Finian coaxed the remainder of the potion down the Battleguard's throat. Falling dust made it difficult to see.

"Let's hope this place stays together long enough for us to dig them out," Finian mused as he tossed the potion vial aside and started to haul rubble away from the fallen Companions.

Over half of the cult had perished in the initial rain of debris. Another handful were trampled to death in the ensuing rout. Draelond had beaten two of them senseless when they failed to get out of his way. Three more were cut to pieces when they triggered the scything blade trap in the stairwell leading out. In the end, a congregation of more than fifty was reduced to a baker's dozen of torn and sweating individuals standing shakily in the courtyard of the ruined keep. The ground continued to rumble beneath their feet.

Kirnoth maneuvered among them, keeping for the most part to the shadows despite his invisibility. He'd lost sight of Draelond when the large human had brained the two cultists who stood between him and the mist-filled portal. the warrior had plowed on through the crowd while the elf lurked in the rear, keeping himself away from any who might bump him and dispel his protective camouflage.

He'd finally picked his way halfway to the gatehouse when he heard someone cry out, "Flor be praised!" This oath elicited several harsh looks from the cultists nearby. One of them hissed in disgust. Kirnoth followed their glances and spotted Finian, Ledare, Ruze and the old healer Rherram stumbling out of the dark throat of the stairwell. The Battleguard and the Janissary were both stained with their own blood, and all four of them were covered with dirt and dust, but the elf smiled at the sight of them just the same.

"These are the ones who brought ruin to us," a woman's voice rallied from amidst the crowd. She stepped forward, a mountain of a woman, with blazing eyes, and Ledare recognized Mother Bromson at once. Mom wore her unappealing human face, but the Janissary still vividly remembered her features shifting to that of a red-eyed wererat in the temple below. "These are the ones who must pay!" she said and stabbed a thick finger at the battered figures huddled around the entrance to the dungeon.

Last edited:

Jon Potter

First Post
dshai527 said:
Just wanted to let you know that I am still enjoying your story. I eagerly await the next installment.

Thanks! It's good to hear that I have at least one reader. :)

I quite enjoy Small Beginnings too. In fact I downloaded the whole thread today to reread from the beginning. It'll have to wait - and so will you - as I'm off to vacation in Arizona next week. No further updates until December 1st. :(

Until then...

Remove ads