• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Realms of Enlightenment: The Grey Companions

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #380] Raiding Davy Jones' Locker

Ayremac gripped the shell's edge, anxiously scanning the water's depth. He appeared ready to take flight again if more trouble was to come, but the waters remained calm. Small ripples lapped at the side of the shell, and there was an awkward moment of silence in which the truth of Karak's words sank in. Everyone's mind was on Lela, who had borne just such a predicament unto her untimely death. And no one had the heart to speak of such matters at the moment.

"You did good there, lass," Karak at last broke the silence. "You took the big baddie down by yourself and I am might proud of ye. I know ye can nae understan' me, but we'll get you healed up and feelin' better."

"I can assist with that," Ayremac moved forward gracefully, his wings keeping his real weight from unstabilizing the shell as he positioned himself to assist Ixin. "Huzair, can you let her know that I am going to attempt to cure her?"

Huzair spoke reassuringly to Ixin, and Karak turned to address the rest of the party. "Actually we all did good on that one," the dwarf said, looking at each of the others in turn. "We have to remember, it takes teamwork to fight these elementals." Morier made a guttural sound and looked away. It was evident that whatever had taken place between the albino and his sword had yet to be resolved.

Karak continued this time looking only at Morier as he did so. "You know when the sword took over your will, that be remindin' me of an old dwarven wives' remedy for what be a goin' on between you and your sword," he said. "You see if'n the husband be not listen' to what the wife wants. Well, she locks 'em up in a cave or mine for as long as it takes for him to see the light. If'n you be gettin my meanin'." Huzair and Shamalin exchanged a bemused look. Morier started as if to speak, and then changed his mind.

The dwarf went on with increased animation. "That's right... no chalaks, or ale, or even good food bein' allowed 'im until his mind's right, you see. Before too long that old stubborn dwarf, well, he listens now," he nodded his head as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "At least that is what they tell me for as ye can see, I like havin' me own mind and have me no wife." Karak's hearty laugh made the shell rock dangerously as he reveled in the humor of his tale.

"Indeed, it must be hard for the dwarven women to keep their hands off of you, Karak," Huzair remarked, lighting a cigar with his finger and savoring the taste of it. "I am not suprised that you are not fond of dwarven women." He puffed, contemplating the warrior a moment before adding, "I totally respect your choice. Nothing wrong with that... I even have some friends who follow your lifestyle."

Karak's face screwed up in consternation, but Shamalin interceded. "There's magic below. I could feel it when I was down there. I'll be the one to retrieve the key." Ayremac's head snapped up and the priestess shot him a look. "Stay," she insisted, "do what you can for Ixin. I have some lesser spells which can halt the advance of the disease if you can not cure her." She turned to Karak, who was eyeing Huzair menacingly. "I'll take Karak. We've been down before, and he can move more easily. Huzair, lend us your Haversack." The mage's eyes narrowed, but Shamalin held his gaze.

"It better come back just as full as it is now," he relented with a knowing look at the dwarf. Shamalin rolled her eyes.

"Fuller, I assure you," she said.

They found the sea bottom was much as they had first seen it - other than it was now littered with the dead bodies of three giant lobsters. The bizarre growth of the coral that had seemed to press in on them while they were fighting the lobster things was gone, another illusion conjured by the tentacled fish. Already small fish had begun to feed upon the carcasses and Shamalin knew they needed to act quickly, before the smell of blood and flesh attracted more unwanted attention.

Her return trip to the bottom left her buried to the knees, making every moment an exhausting labor. She struggled to maneuver toward the matching half of their clamshell boat. It had glowed strongly with the telltales signs of magic and was lying half-buried in the ocean floor. Karak dug for a few minutes with his hands, then gripped its edge and heaved the great shell over.

Once the water had swirled and settled, they could discern a trove of underwater treasure. Shamalin's fingers shook with excitement as she held up the Elemental Key of Water, and they marveled at it briefly. Then together they worked to add the remaining bounty into the Haversack. Once it was done, they activated the Levitation spell and rose easily to the surface where the party was eagerly awaiting their return.

No sooner had Shamalin climbed out of the water with the elemental Key than the runes around the shell's edge began to glow brighter and brighter. The portal back to the elemental hub activated at once and, given the fact that they were all tightly packed into the shell, there was little choice but for them to gate out of the water node.

Not that there was a lot of desire to linger there.

"Three down," Karak said, grinning at Shamalin and the glowing cube she held in her fist. "Stick it in, lass. It's your turn." Shamalin looked at the dwarf and then at the Key.

"Is that really in the group's best interests?" she asked, her voice sounding frightfully small. Karak screwed up his face in surprise.

"Eh?" he grunted.

"Is it really in the best interests of our party to have me try to become a heavy hitter?" she asked, and there was such naked earnestness in her face that even Karak paused to consider. "I certainly don't mind taking the sword; I am next in line to have one. But, in all honesty, I don't aspire to wield one." The dwarf harrumphed.

"Swords can be used for more than combat if they have special powers," Huzair reminded, and Flameblade swelled momentarily at his belt, filling the chamber with crackling orange light.

"Shamalin, can we speak for a moment... aside?" Ayremac asked, moving toward the furthest point in the room and beckoning her to follow. The cleric's brow furrowed in confusion and she glanced momentarily at the others then shrugged before following the holy warrior.

Once they were both out of earshot, Ixin tapped Huzair's arm. "Ayremac renthisj. Shamalin?" she asked, a note of frustration in her voice.

"Huzair othoroshkent," he replied with a shrug.

"Ixin tuor othokent! Mroshith caex Ixin, Arivexoth, Ixin renthoshisj! Ixin othoroshkent! Ixin dartak!" her voice grew louder and louder with each word until by the end she was very nearly shouting and a bit of acrid smoke curled dangerously from her nostrils. Karak grabbed Huzair by the upper arm and pulled him in close.

"What's she on about, wizard?" the dwarf growled in a too-loud whisper that, of course, he needn't have bothered with since Ixin couldn't understand a word of what he was saying anyway.

"I'm not sure. She says she misses her sword," the mage replied in the common tongue. "That without it she can't speak or understand what's going on." Karak nodded.

"Aye! She had a sword what allowed her to speak an' understand any language," the dwarf explained. "That'd come in a might handy right about now."

Ixin looked painfully at Karak. She pointed at Stoneblade then at the empty spot on her own hip. Then she indicated her ears and mouth and shrugged helplessly. The dwarf stepped closer and patted her arm reassuringly.

"Aye, lass," he said. "I ken ye. We'll suss somethin' out."

"What is it, Ayremac?" the cleric asked once they were out of easy earshot. "You have some counsel for me regarding the Key?" The Officer shook his head at that.

"Shamalin, I can't really counsel you on whether or not to take an elemental blade," he admitted and his expression grew pensive as he continued. "The fact is, I really want to wield one. Maybe it's the warring man in me, or just the eager adventurer... but such a powerful weapon... I feel like I could use it to do great things."

"So you wish to draw the next blade?" the cleric asked, trying to get at the heart of Ayremac's argument.

"No. That's not it," he countered. "If you honestly feel that you can't wield its power to the greatest benefit of the group, then maybe it's a sign. I, however, believe that you can do it. You're creative. You're smart. And not every weapon is at its best slicing through the air towards the enemy." Shamalin looked at the man and then at the Key in her hand.

"Thank you," she said, simply. "You've made the decision easier." Then she turned and walked over to the socket corresponding to water and placed the Key within it. The center shaft began to glow with blues and greens and she thrust her arm in, drawing forth a moment later a dirk that glistened and dripped with moisture.

"I AM WAVEBLADE, SCION OF WATER, MIGHTIEST OF THE ELEMENTAL BLADES!" the dagger roared in a voice like the ocean breaking against a cliff face.

"This isn't a weapon at all; it's a Rod of Withering," Huzair told them, holding up the device so that its metal head, fashioned into the shape of a skeletal fist, thrust into the air in an obscene manner. "Pretty potent magic."

"Pretty evil, too," Ayremac said, his gaze threatening.

"Not intrinsically," Huzair countered, putting the Rod into the growing array of Identified magic items on his left. "It is Necromantic magic though."

"And therefore evil," the Officer of Umba said. His voice was calm and even, but it concealed a sharp, flinty edge. The wizard just shrugged.

"Whatever you say, fly boy," he snorted. "I'm not making value judgments, just reading the magic." He picked up the Goblet of Life and filled it with water from a skin. "Give me wine," he said, holding the cup in both hands (mostly to prevent its contents from sloshing over the side). "And something with a little more kick to it this time."

The water in the Goblet changed at once to a deep red beverage into which the mage dropped some more of the pearls that Karak had crushed with his warhammer. Then he took his owl feather and began to stir the concoction.

"Boss, you're going to need a new feather when this is all over," Sparky twittered into his ear and Huzair drew the feather out and looked at it critically (which was a challenge given the number of wine draughts he'd consumed already). It was severely bedraggled, darkening from snowy white near the quill to a sopping burgundy at the tangled end.

Ixin looked at it too and the sight stirred something within her. She'd seen such feathers before, she felt sure. The draconic word for peace drifted up from some dark and hidden depth within her. "Martivir," she whispered and the word brought with it a flash of snowy wings and kind, wise eyes. Her familiar. She'd kept him safe within her Cloak of Many Pockets and-

She paused with her hands half-way to the cloak that was not there. It had been destroyed when she failed the Test of Fire. And Martivir with it, no doubt. But if that was the case then why did she feel no loss? She knew - or thought she knew, anyway - that the loss of a mage's familiar always ill-effected the bonded mage. Was the owl somehow still alive somewhere? No. That didn't seem right. She felt no bond either. If the familiar yet lived, she would be able to sense a connection to it, but there was none. It was as if Martivir had never existed - as if she'd never called a familiar at all.

She knew that was wrong too, though. She'd had him with her when she'd left the Dragon Isles. She could vaguely remember performing the ritual to call him just after finding out that she was to be sent to the the human lands as an emissary to the holdings of Skrazargul the Green. He had been her companion for a long while, making that pampered prison tolerable. Hadn't he? She could recall a sense of him, but no specifics, as if he'd existed only as an idea and not a real, solid thing.

She felt a momentary sense of floating at that, as if she'd come unmoored within her own skin and was about to go spiraling off once more into whatever hell she'd been rescued from. She reached out a hand to steady herself and it fell upon the hilt of one of her borrowed scimitars. Her hand closed desperately around it and at once she settled back into herself.

And with it came other memories.

She turned the sword over in her hand, looking at the bears snarling from the hilt and pommel and marveling that such an unassuming weapon could stir such feelings within her. It had belonged to Ruze, she remembered, as had its twin. The last time she'd seen the man alive he'd been engaged in battle with the matched pair against... what? A giant? That seemed right, but she remembered fire and spiders and rats as well. The memory was tenuous. It seemed like a very long time ago indeed.

That was troubling to her. The time between failing the Test of Fire in the Grove of Renewal and being saved in the Test of Fire in this place had done something to her. Aged her perhaps, or drawn out her awareness impossibly, stretching her senses until events of half a year ago now seemed to have a gulf of epochs between them and her present self. She was like a strand of gum arabic drawn between two fingers that were slowly moving away from one another, pulling her consciousness ever thinner as they went.

But she remembered Ruze. And the scimitars were a physical tie to what had gone before. They felt right in her hands and for the moment she was content to ignore the part of herself that wondered what would happen when the gulf widened far enough that the strand connecting the Ixin of then and the Ixin of now finally snapped.

"Ixin?" she heard the fairy-born say and looked up. Shamalin was there, divested of her massive plate armor and looking very tiny as a result. She settled herself on the floor before the drakeling. "Mag ich sitzen?"

Ixin just looked at her, confused and the priestess smiled gently.

"Ich möchte Ihnen helfen, unsere sprache zu erlernen," she said, pointing to her own mouth and then moving her hands between herself and Ixin in a back-and-forth gesture. "Wurde sie mögen das?"

The drakeling supposed that she was asking to have a conversation, but that would only lead to frustration and Ixin shook her head. "I cannot speak your tongue," she said in Castillian. "It's pointless."

"Ich kann sie unterrichten, unsere Sprache zu verstehen und zu sprechen," Shamalin replied. She pointed again to her own mouth and then to Ixin's ear and the drakeling began to think she might be offering to teach her to speak their language. She nodded hesitantly.

"Gut," the fairy-born told her. For a moment, Shamalin's eyes hunted about, settling finally on the scimitar in Ixin's lap. She pointed at it and said, "Klinge."

"Klinge?" Ixin asked, raising the weapon a bit and Shamalin nodded, smiling.

"Ja," she grinned. "Klinge."

Jon Potter

First Post
[Realms #381] Slice-n-Dice

DAY FOUR IN THE ELEMENTAL NODES​

"Does someone have their eye on that Shield of Blinding?" Ayremac asked tentatively, indicating the device that was propped against the wall between the Earth and Fire doors. "I would not mind using that, although it does not match."

Karak looked up from tending his waraxe and skewered the holy warrior with a look. "Match what?" he grunted. "What are ye on about?"

"My armor," the Officer replied hesitantly. He indicated the spiked shield that was worked with green lacquer to perfectly match his spiked plate armor.

"Ye're daft!" the dwarf replied with a derisive snort. He went back to his whetstone work with a shake of his head. Ayremac looked at Morier.

"Morier, am I being crazy?" he asked. "A magical shield that blinds my enemies or the matching spiked shield. I mean, it's more then the matching; I worked a long time for the smith to earn this suite of armor."

"Do what you wish," the albino said with complete disinterest, looking up only briefly from the greatsword he was contemplating. Ayremac scowled and looked from one device to the other.

"Anyone want my old Ring of Protection?" Huzair asked, having already upgraded to the new, more powerful one they'd discovered. He offered the old band up to the others.

"Rasvim-levex?" Ixin asked and Huzair nodded. The drakeling had claimed the Horn of the Tritons and was arranging a strap to carry it over her shoulder. She paused to look at the wizard.

"Rasvim-litrix-levex," the mage agreed, tossing the ring to her. She caught it, slipped it on her finger and nodded back.

"Ixin-majak thurirl," she explained. "Ixin-clax."

"Thadarshthric," Huzair told her with a wave of his hand, deciding that she really didn't need to know that he'd given her the weaker of the two rings. He stuffed the Goblet of Life back into his Haversack and in the common tongue said, "That is everything, then."

"Huzair, don't think I did not notice you tucking that Rod away," Ayremac said, fixing the wizard with a penetrating stare. "As much as I appreciate you keeping it away from me, I feel obligated to ask what your intentions are for it." Huzair smirked.

"Well, I am not much of a two-weapon fighter," he said nonchalantly. "And I am happy with my sword, so I thought we might trade it for something useful." The Officer of Umba studied him appraisingly for a moment and then shook his head.

"Huzair, would you be willing to give me the Rod?" Ayremac asked and when Huzair bristled he sighed, adding, "I don't want to make a big issue out of this, nor stir controversy. I know how you are about 'your' treasure, but the more I think about it, the more I feel this Rod of Withering can't be good." The wizard snorted in disbelief.

"I told you that it is not Evil," he said. "It is not nice necessarily, but neither is a sword and I have seen how eager you are to get one of those. You have tried to talk yourself into possession of the last two elemental blades and-"

"It was crafted by someone who covets the dark arts!" Ayremac shouted, his voice strident and full of emotion. With some effort, he calmed himself and said through gritted teeth, "Yes, this weapon does not eminate Evil, but Evil is crafty and just carrying it taints us all. Let me have it and I will destroy it."

"I will not stand by and let such a powerful weapon be destroyed," Huzair countered. "It would be a huge waste."

"And I cannot allow you to wield it," Ayremac said, crossing his arms. "It seems we are at an impasse." Exasperated, Huzair sighed.

"As you know I am not big on hand-to-hand combat, so me wielding it should not be such a big worry for you," the wizard explained. "First people want me to give up my sword, now destroy one of our most powerful magic items? It goes against a wizard's mentality to do something like that.

"And it goes against my faith to suffer the dark arts in our midst!" Ayremac said, angrily. "I will not yield on this, Huzair. Nae, I CANNOT yield! I say again; we are at an impasse."

Shamalin stepped between the two before the argument could escalate further. "Give it to me," she said, holding out her hand, "before you two come to blows over it."

"If you want it, Shamalin, here you go," Huzair said, reaching into his traveler's purse. He pulled out the Rod of Withering - which looked like a skeletal arm cast in iron - and placed it in the cleric's hand.

"No good can come of this," Ayremac told her, earnestly and Shamalin laid a reassuring hand on the holy warrior's arm.

"We've known each other for a long time," she said with a pale, bitter smile."I believe I can carry this burden. You can trust me." The holy warrior sighed and shook his head.

"Shamalin, I appreciate your very diplomatic solution, and I do trust you... but don't use that Rod around me... or leave it unprotected," he said, sadly. "I think it should be destroyed and nothing will change my mind on that." Shamalin said nothing in response, but she nodded her understanding.

Morier got to his feet and stepped up to the Officer of Umba, saying, "Ayremac, I know I won't change your mind, but hear me out: The lines between good and evil are not always as well-defined as we would like them to be. If this tool is a weapon that will help us to put Aphyx down, then we would be foolhardy to ignore its possible benefits."

"That way of thinking is a short and slippery path toward Chaos, Morier," Ayremac countered simply and the albino held up a conceding hand. "The ends of a thing are but rarely justification for the means."

"I agree that we must be vigilant against becoming what we fight, but unless this thing is constructed from pure evil, I think we need to see what good might come from it before we decide to destroy it," Morier told him. "We are in no position to turn away anything that might add to our strength." Again, the holy warrior sighed and shook his head, but this time when he spoke, his tone was strong not sad.

"Let me put this to rest," he said, stepping back from the others. "I am not often a stubborn man, but in just mere moments this evil Rod has bent us against each other. I will leave this to your decision... the Rod may help you in fighting Aphyx, but I will take no further part in its use. You must decide... what will help further the cause more, my participation - with the backing and blessing of Umba - or the Rod? If you choose me simply destroy the Rod. Until that time, I will rest and pray."

Saying thus, Ayremac turned and moved toward a far corner of the chamber to meditate. Shamalin could see that Morier's words had brought Ayremac's ire to life once again, and she shot the albino a withering look.

"I had this under control!" she grumbled, as she followed Ayremac to be certain she had the Officer of Umba's full attention. She lowered her voice and looked him squarely in the eye. "I don't know what has happened to you, Ayremac. And... I'm sorry that I haven't been brave enough to ask." She faltered as the pain broadcast clearly in his eyes for a moment. "But Morier is right: destroying the Rod may not be the answer. Neither is flailing it around like some child's toy. So I will hold it for now, and we will determine at another time what is to be done."

She looked expectantly at Ayremac, doing her best to conceal her true feelings about the weapon and the idea of being its keeper. The Circlet of Persuasion she wore across her brow helped somewhat in that regard. Ayremac fixed her appraisingly with the Eyes of Justice, staring passed her words to the heart of her intentions. Perhaps it was the lingering memory of their past relationship that caused it, but in the end, he fell for her lies.

"Okay, Shamalin," he said with a wane smile. "As I said, I do trust you. I guess I always have."

They stepped through the flat pane of utter dark beyond the Air door and appeared in a short corridor such as they had seen before although it was much narrower such that they had to line up in single file line. It went for about 15 feet before terminating at a blank wall. At that point on the left hand side of the hall was set a five foot wide, floor-to-ceiling mirror edged in brass.

Karak, who was as usual in the lead let out a disapproving grunt when he looked into the mirror. "Oi!" he grumbled staring critically at himself in reflective surface. "Why didn't somebody tell me that me beard was crooked at the bottom? Damned fire monsters burned it all elfish an' jaunty! No offense, Morier." The albino snorted from the rear of the queue.

"What else do you see up there?" Huzair grumbled from mid-group. "It is getting a little close in here."

"I'll look for a secret door or somethin'," Karak said. "I see naught but the mirror."

Ixin craned her neck and looked over the dwarf's head into the mirror. "Ocuir!" she said, pointing at the mirror. Then concentrating she spoke the word as Shamalin had taught her. "Luke! Luke!"

"Luke?" Karak grumbled and Huzair shouted from behind.

"She is saying, 'Look'! There is something she wants you to see," he said.

"Yes. Look!" Ixin said with a nod, still pointing at the mirror. Then she lapsed back into draconic to add, "Irthos ossalur zara-Karak!"

"She says there is a hidden door behind you," Huzair translated and Karak turned again to look at the blank wall facing the mirror.

"I jus' looked there and I do nae see any-" the dwarf started to say until Huzair's frustrated cry cut him off.

"In. The. Mirror," he said, slowly and deliberately. "The door is in the mirror."

Karak looked and he could see it now, behind his reflection. A plain door made of the same stone as the rest of the wall, with a round brass door pull set at proper height for a human. There were words carved above the lintel in the human alphabet, but they were all in reverse so he couldn't readily make them out.

He snorted and turned back toward the wall behind him but there was no door and no inscription above it.

"I can see the door in the mirror. There's some words carved above it," Karak informed them. And then he went through the process of translating the backwards words into frontwards sense. Well, as much sense as they made anyway:

"those most willing to observe the world will find that they can always change it"

"What in the Nine Hells does tha' mean?" the dwarf spat and Huzair stroked his chin thoughtfully.

"Yes. That quote is somewhat difficult to interpret," he mused. "I would think the mirror image of that would be a good idea, in fact: Those who want to change the world should observe it first."

"Very philosophical," Morier sneered and the mage turned on him.

"I don't see you offering any-" he started to say, but Ayremac cut him off.

"Can you stare in the mirror and cause your mirror image to open the door," the holy warrior suggested. "Or possibly reach into the mirror itself and make it happen."

"Not a bad idea!" Huzair agreed enthusiastically. "I've heard of mirrors that act as portals to a transitive plane called The Hall of Mirrors. Perhaps this is one of those." Karak experimented a bit without luck.

"Nae," he grumbled. "The mirror's solid."

"What about saying the words aloud or backwards," Ayremac suggested.

"I already said 'em aloud," Karak told him. "An' if'n I'm gonna be tryin' to say 'em backwards well then I'll need Huzair to pass me me Goblet o' Life. I could use a good drink while I ponder how this be workin'"

Ixin, of course, couldn't read the words above the door in the mirror and she couldn't understand a tenth of what the others were saying. What she could do was tell that the reflected door was behind her even if she couldn't see it except as a reflection. So, while Karak stammered and cursed his way through trying to speak the words backwards, Ixin half-turned, twisting her neck to keep the reflection in sight and using it as a guide, moved her hand to the pull ring. She felt the sensation of cold metal in her hand and tightened her grip, heaving backward and opening the door out of the hall.

Everyone fell silent as the drakeling turned to regard the others. "Ocuir," she said, pointing to the open valve. "Irthos-erekess-ossalur."

Stepping through the flat pane of jet, brought them one by one to one end of a hallway ten feet wide that stretched dimly ahead of them. The walls were sheathed in plaster while the floor and ceiling alike were dressed stone. Several consecutive walls of light beamed across the corridor from one wall to the other at regular intervals, providing the only light in the misty corridor.

The combination of the mist and the dim light obscured the far end.

"I think the plaster could be hiding something," Huzair said as soon as he took a look at the set-up. "Anybody good at detecting secret doors and traps?"

"Isn't that your job?" Morier quipped. "You're the one who always bragged about being raised in a thieves' guild." Huzair shot the albino a murderous look and Karak stamped his waraxe on the stone floor.

"A thieves' guild, eh?" he glared at Huzair. "Tell us more, wizard." Huzair sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Worry about your own stuff and leave my business to me, dwarf," the mage replied, dismissing Karak's inquiry with a wave. "You have nothing to fear about me, unless you really want to start something."

"So what do you think, guild rat?" Morier asked and Huzair frowned.

"I am concerned that crossing those rays of light may be a trap," he said.

"Should we then toss a stone at those light walls before proceeding?" Ayremac asked and after a moment's consideration, Huzair nodded.

"Not a terrible idea," he replied, looking around quickly for a stone. He didn't find any, but eventually Shamalin handed him a copper piece and he heaved that through.

As soon as the coin intersected the wall of light, the corridor was filled with a great mechanical ratchetting sound. Four enormous pendulum blades scythed down from concealed slots in the ceiling, slicing into Ixin, Morier and Karak before they could even react to the blades' presence. Huzair managed somehow to dodge out of the way of the final blade.

"Okay. I take that back," he grimaced as he stepped back from the whirling blades. "That was a terrible idea."

It wasn't so much the damage that the blades did to the companions as it was the poison that was coated liberally on their cutting edge. Even Karak, whose dwarven constitution often laughed at poison was effected by this on and they felt strength drain from their limbs as the blades snapped back into the ceiling as the clockwork mechanism powering them reset.

-------------------------------------

A nice long update for the last of my week of Post-a-Day. I hope that everyone's enjoyed the celebratory extra story.

Jon Potter

First Post
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
I may have to nab that door in the mirror thing. That was awesome!

Well to give credit where it's due... sort of, anyway... I stole that bit from someone on these very boards. I cut-and-pasted the set up into my notes and the thread vanished in the database hiccup from earlier this year.

So the idea wasn't originally mine, but I don't know whose it was. :\

I'm glad you liked it anyway. I was surprised how quickly my players solved it.

Jon Potter

First Post
Blarkon Dragonslayer said:
Conveniently for us, Jon, the bad is fairly thin on the ground...now...about that next update... :)

Sorry, BD. You'll just have to wait until Sunday. It's back to the regular once-a-week schedule now.

Remove ads