• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Risen Goddess (Updated 3.10.08)

(contact)

Explorer
54—The Ermathan Pantheon, a family affair.

“If Lolth is reborn, then this child . . . ” Kyreel says.

“Yes,” Gorquen says. “The child carried by the Banere woman was her very goddess. That is why she lost her spells, and why Lolth has gone silent. We realized this as well, but the knowledge came too late. The drow gave birth that night, under the spark shower, and the next morning, we were set upon by her kin, led by none other than your matron mother Banare.

“We fought them, of course, and I called the matron out, but she would not do me the honor. I noticed that she was staring at something over my shoulder, and looked genuinely afraid. When I turned, I saw that the newborn child was in the hands of another drow priestess—a worshipper of their foul deity to the undead, Kiransalee. This woman had used our battle as a distraction, and escaped with the child.”

“Irae T’ssarion,” Thelbar says.

“No wonder Lolth spoke our names,” Kyreel says. “She is searching for a savior, and not one of her former faith!”

Gorquen says, “As the drow fled with the child, the strangest thing transpired. The infant looked right at me and breathed on me. It felt like a warm spring breeze washed over me there in that cold stone place, and I found myself comforted. I had lost the fight, but I felt like I had just taken a victory from a hated foe.”

Thelbar asks to see the Sage Tree, and is taken before a majestic and wonderful oak, its roots cast deep through the crumbling and ancient stone floor. The tree shines with a radiant health, despite its unsuitable environment.

“Speak one question, and I shall answer you,” the tree whispers, an unfelt wind passing through its branches. “I know all things that are sure to the minds of mortals, and many more things that are not. Speak it, and know.”

“I have a question, revered one,” Kyreel says as she steps forward, “and I must know for sure. Is Sharlequannan the reborn essence of the former goddess Lolth?”

The tree rustles, and the sounds form words heard as much in the mind as by the ears. “Sharlequannan is the name of Lolth. Lolth is the name of Arunshee. Thus, Arunshee is reborn as Sharlequannan. When Palatin Eremath defeated her sister, our goddess took from Arunshee her very goodness as a retribution. Left with only the anger in her heart, Lolth fled the heavens for the Abyss and perpetrated great wickedness.

“When you placed the stone of Palatin Ermath into the night sky, our goddess returned to her sister what had been taken from her in ages past. Brought to a knowledge of how far she had fallen, but unable to reconcile herself with what she had become, Lolth realized her only option was to submit herself to the pasoun. Praise be Ishlok, mother of all things made and unmade; Lolth is reborn.

“Like any infant, Sharlequannan is vulnerable, and subject to influence. Also, in the same manner of other powerful entities who enter the pasoun, she has come back with a greater potential for strength. This renewed potential is why you two continue to return as champions for the goddess. As above, so below.

“The matron mother wants to restore Arunshee to her former evil, but Kiransalee wishes to consume her essence, and subsume it within herself. Irae T’ssarion has a similar goal, but hopes to cannibalize the child herself, and ascend to divinity.

“There is your answer. Go, and be at peace.”

Thelbar steps forward. “We have another concern, great one, and I have a question.”

“Speak it, Tar-Ilou, and know.”

“Where is the best place for the home of Palatin Eremath's worship in Faerun?"

“The best place for the worship of Palatin Eremath to have a home is in your heart. But I will give you the answer you meant to have. The Many who refuse to acknowledge the One have much to fear. In the North of the High Forest stands the sacred city of Myth Iskok. There you will find little peace, but you will find freedom. Myth Iskok is the home of Palatin Eremath, but all of the multiverse is the home for Ishlok. There is your answer. Go, and be at peace.”

-----

After their encounter with the Sage Tree, Gorquen gives her companions a walking tour of the whole complex. She explains that she is turning Tar-Elentyr’s former abode into museum– while the rest of his demesne fell into ruin, the fallen servant of Palatin Ermath obsessively kept all the artwork and regalia relating to his career as a Divine Champion in pristine condition. It amounts to a priceless treasure of ancient lore, and it has inspired Gorquen. She has determined to become Palatin Ermath’s new Divine Champion, a title worthy of her dedication and talents.

While Kyreel says a private prayer alone with the Sage Tree, Thelbar converses with Gorquen’s companion Ilwe. As a cleric of Solonor Thelandira, the archer-priest’s belief structure has lately been shaken to its core by the recent revelations. He states that he was greatly perplexed by his god’s seeming disloyalty to the elven pantheon. He prayed that he might have a revelation of the truth of the matter, and has learned that his god no longer serves Corellon Larethian. Solonor Thelandira has joined the new order, and entered the pasoun. The Ermathan pantheon is born, and currently numbers five deities—Palatin Ermath herself, Solonor Thelandira, Arunshee along with her daughter Eilistraee, and the dark god Asharladon, known to Thelbar, Kyreel and Gorquen as Iiam.

Thelbar takes in this news, and opines sagely, “This is going to get very ugly very quickly.”

Ilwe says, “I have been instructed that my place is with the Divine Champion of Ishlok. We cannot aid you, for there is much to be done here in the Far Forest, but know that our prayers and blessings go with you, as you walk the goddess’ high road.”

Thelbar and Kyreel wish Ilwe and Gorquen luck on their journeys, and promise to check in from time to time, then teleport back to Mistledale.

-----

They return to find Taran pacing the tent set aside as their abode, with a half-empty bottle of wine in his hand. Taran says, “Hey there you are! I was wondering where you got off to. Jhanira called me an egotist! Me! Can you believe it?”

Kyreel and Thelbar look at one another.

Taran continues with his rant while pacing around the room. “Well, I told her . . . you know what I said? I said egotists don’t risk their gods-damned lives in the bottom of gods-damned dungeons, or lie up to their eyebrows in mud for weeks at a time on long-range hunter-killer patrols, days behind the drow lines. I keep her ass alive, and does that sound like an egotist to you?”

Thelbar regards Taran earnestly. “You lost the argument, I take it?”

Taran squints at Thelbar, but says nothing.

“Well, brother,” Thelbar says, “An egotist is usually defined as someone who speaks much of himself or magnifies his own achievements or affairs. Do you think this description fits you?

Taran squints at Thelbar.

“An egotist might fight to protect others, and even risk his own physical well-being for greater glory, which is still a form of self-interest. You are thinking perhaps, that she meant ‘self-centered’, but even had she called you that, your argument wouldn’t hold up. Self-centered people risk themselves for what they perceive as the greater gain every day.”

“Now wait a minute, Thel.” Taran says. “By your logic, what action could any of us take that couldn’t be considered self-serving?”

This uncharacteristic rebuttal from the beefy fighter draws Kyreel’s attention away from her meditations. “Actions taken in the true name of the Goddess, and for her will, are not self-serving,” she says.

“But why do we serve her, if not out of self interest?” Taran asks. “We say that our path is a better path for all people, and so it benefits the individual. That makes it a higher form of self-interest, but self-interest all the same.”

“So, according to you,” Kyreel says, “the healer and the blackguard occupy the same moral position.”

“No, they are morally opposed. But their motivations are similar. They both seek the same thing, self-fulfillment, but choose different paths to achieve it. But that is splitting hairs. I can say with all practical finality that the healer’s path is better than the blackguard’s.”

“And how can you say that?” Thelbar asks, with a rare grin on his face.

“Because I won’t kill the healer on sight. See, Thel, I am the object lesson.”

“You are an egotist.” Kyreel says.

“Well, she still should be thanking me for saving her bitchy ass from the damn drow,” Taran mutters.

Last edited:

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
(contact) said:
54—The Ermathan Pantheon, a family affair.
Ermath herself, Solonor Thelandira, Arunshee along with her daughter NAME, and the dark god Asharladon, known to Thelbar, Kyreel and Gorquen as Iiam.

Interesting name for Arunshee's Daughter, (c) :p

(contact) said:

This uncharacteristic rebuttal from the beefy fighter draws Kyreel’s attention away from her meditations. “Actions taken in the true name of the Goddess, and for her will, are not self-serving,” she says.

That headband is starting to pay off :)

(contact)

Explorer
thatdarncat said:
Interesting name for Arunshee's Daughter, (c) :p

Ha! "NAME" is my shorthand for any person, place or thing I can't remember the proper noun for when I'm first writing up the logs. The goddess in question is Eilistraee. I apparently didn't edit very thoroughly in my haste to keep my promise to Incognito.

I blame society.

I will edit the log for future readers, but nice catch, TDC.

Note also that Gorquen is in the "Far Forest", not the "High Forest".

Last edited:

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
(contact) said:

Ha! "NAME" is my shorthand for any person, place or thing I can't remember the proper noun for when I'm first writing up the logs.

I do the same, but with ____'s. I usually add a "smack me if I don't fill this in" after too. Yay absent mindedness

I blame society.
Sure, why not, everyone does! Better to blame society than admit that we know about the grey men and their twisted elder god... ;)

I'm so confused. :eek: But in a good way.

I never really paid attention to the Forgotten Realms, so I don't know about the pantheon. However, (contact), I like what you are doing with this. It rings true to human pantheistic history, at least as far as my limited education enables me to undestand it. Gods acting like mortals - fighting, coupling, changing allegiances - are far more interesting than static ultra-good and ultra-evil deities.

Is Taran an egotist or an egoist?

(contact)

Explorer
JERandall said:
Is Taran an egotist or an egoist?

I would say he is both! You make the call:

e·go·ist (n.)

1. One given overmuch to egoism or thoughts of self.

2. (Philos.) A believer in egoism.

-----

e·go·tist (n.)

1. A conceited, boastful person.

2. A selfish, self-centered person.

-----

e·go·ism (n.)

1. The ethical doctrine that morality has its foundations in self-interest.

2. The ethical belief that self-interest is the just and proper motive for all human conduct.

3. Excessive preoccupation with one's own well-being and interests, usually accompanied by an inflated sense of self-importance.

Egotism v. Egoism

Heh. Now all we need is a huge discussion of Ayn Rand and my work here will be complete. ;)

But seriously - it does sound like Taran is espousing egoism as a philosophy. Perhaps the "huge discussion" already took place in (contact)'s game?

Remove ads