The RNS Coaltongue

It reminds me of a fantasy version of the Titanic. I'm not sure what the relative technology level is, but the ship seems to be at higher part of it...which, I suppose, could be intentional.

From what little I have gleaned about the first adventure, isn't the Coaltounge supposed to be the first of its kind? A new modern warship for a new modern nation?

The tech level is intended to be somewhere around the 1850s/1860s, but when you add in magic, some things go a bit differently. I asked the artist to start with the HMS Devastation --

HMS_Devastation_%281871%29.jpg

-- take off the turrets, and give it a higher profile and a gundeck because broadsides are too fun to get rid of, even if they're not logically an ideal design. Then we added in a few fantasy elements. (He did make it quite a bit taller than we needed, originally, but I'm cool with it now.)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
But I loik turrets. (What can I say, been a fan of turrets since first seeing a picture of the Monitor doing battle with the Virginia at the battle of Hampton Roads. In the end over a hundred ships were built on the Monitor's lines. :) Only one still remains. And the Virginia did have a broadsides.) The Monitor eventually led to the Dreadnaught, which is, I think, the niche that the Coaltongue is designed to fill?

Does look better lower in the water, but she still looks more like a freighter or a tanker than a warship to me. A high profile combined with low guns is not good. (Standard for sailing vessels, but for steam... not so much.) Perhaps a pair of larger guns, intended for land bombardment, might make it look a trifle less... civilian?

My reaction to the original was to think that she was on a barge for towing to sea for her launch - that the grey portion was a separate vessel. What's her tonnage?

I am glad to see that she has no side wheels. (I took one look at the side wheelers in Dystopian Wars, and forgot all about buying the game. Exposed, fragile, and slow... yessir, just what I want on a warship... on the other side, that is.)

hms_dreadnought_1906_h61017.jpg

For comparison - the HMS Dreadnaught - first of her kind.

The Auld Grump, looking at the length of this post... it is obvious that I have turrets syndrome....

Riastlin

First Post
I have to say that this picture (and the rest of the art in the newsletter from today) is gorgeous. It also has me pretty stoked for the adventure path (so much so that I'll no doubt end up subscribing just for that if nothing else). I've been toying with the idea of bringing guns into a 4ed campaign (when I start up my next campaign) but am trying to figure out how to balance them with the rest of the weapons (still want it to be fantasy based). Looks like Zeitgest will cover a lot of this. :D

Remove ads