• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General The Sales of D&D vs. AD&D vs. AD&D 2nd Edition

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

The 2nd edition of AD&D sold well when it was released. Combined, the Dungeon Master’s Guide and Player’s Handbook sold over 400,000 copies in their first year. That’s a lot of books. Not the most ever sold by TSR, but a lot. To give some historical comparison, the 1981 D&D Basic Rules Set sold over 650,000 copies in its first year. To compare to previous editions of AD&D, the 1st edition DMG and PHB together sold over 146,000 copies in 1979. Putting those numbers together makes AD&D 2nd edition look like a solid hit. But it hides a deeper problem.

A1obCF-Ju2L.jpg

Benjamin Riggs shares some D&D history! This was posted on Facebook and shared with permission.

AD&D 2nd edition didn’t have the legs that AD&D 1st edition did. Combined sales of the 1st edition DMG and PHB actually went up at first, selling over 390,000 in 1980, over 577,000 in 1981, over 452,000 in 1982, and 533,000 in 1983 before finally sliding to just over 234,000 in 1984, at the time when TSR began its first crisis. Meanwhile, the 2nd edition DMG and PHB would never sell more than 200,000 copies in a single year after 1989. In short, 2nd edition wasn’t selling like its predecessor.

But if AD&D 2nd edition looks small in comparison to1st edition, both shrink before the altar of Dungeons & Dragons. Including 1st, 2nd edition, revised 2nd edition, and introductory sets, AD&D sold a total of 4,624,111 corebooks between 1979 and 1998. Meanwhile, D&D sold 5,454,859 units in that same period, the vast bulk of those purchases coming between 1979 and 1983.

TSR could no longer put up the sales numbers it once did. Even D&D, which sold better than AD&D in either iteration, didn’t sell in the 90’s like it did in the 80’s. What had changed? Something changed, but what was it? Was it that Gary Gygax was gone? Had something gone wrong with 2nd edition? Was a rule changed that shouldn’t have been? Was it too complex? Not complex enough? Had RPGs been a fad that faded? Should the AD&D lines be canceled entirely to focus on the historically better-selling D&D?

These numbers should have been an occasion for self-reflection and correction all over TSR.

But they weren’t.

These numbers were left in the offices of upper management. Zeb Cook himself said he never saw any concrete sales numbers for 2nd edition. The decision by management under Lorraine Williams to keep sales numbers like those above restricted to the top of the company must be seen as a mistake. The inability of the game designers to know how their product was selling cut them off from economic feedback on their product. I see those numbers, and what I read is that TSR’s audience bought the 2nd edition books, read them, and just weren’t crazy about them. (Although I myself am quite partial to the rules, as they are what I grew up playing.) But Zeb Cook didn’t know that, so how could he make changes to improve his craft in the future?

Benjamin went on to note his source: "I have a source who sent me a few pages of sales data from TSR. It's primary source material. I don't have everything, but I do have the data contained in the post above." He is currently writing a book on the sale of TSR to Wizards of the Coast.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
LARPing existed in some type of form back to the 1960's with the SCA in my opinion. (Shrugs)

Insofar as the early live-combat games in the UK were a development off the SCA, sure. The thing with the SCA is... there is sometimes a small amount of Role Play, but there is no game to speak of. The SCA is far more a celebration of various forms of mastery of otherwise forgotten craftsmanship and activities than it is an RPG.

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
You are quite right about MTC destroying the tabletop gaming. It was devastating to see the impact on roleplay games. My area is a largely rural area and it was over a decade before we could begin to pick up the pieces and rebuild roleplay gaming here. That was largely a result of the Internet in finding people who wanted to play a TTRPG and roll dice.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Very important points.

CCGs were also on the rise and they caught a lot of prospective players' entertainment time and budget.

And online gaming as well. I joined GEnie, AOL, Prodigy and Compuserve for work aaaaand gaming reasons in 1992. Quickly playing a lot of Gemstone III, Multi-Player Battletech 3025, Air Warrior, DragonsGate, Never Winters Night etc. Though the hourly charges were killer.

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Insofar as the early live-combat games in the UK were a development off the SCA, sure. The thing with the SCA is... there is sometimes a small amount of Role Play, but there is no game to speak of. The SCA is far more a celebration of various forms of mastery of otherwise forgotten craftsmanship and activities than it is an RPG.

Many of them in the Southern and Central California area were also tabletop gamers and actually also would have role-playing parties back in the late 1970s and early 1980s that I attended. I assume that those continued on even after I moved to the South and then to Europe. (shrugs) Saw a bit of too in Europe during that same time period.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I admit I never put much weight into the competition argument. That competition in the late 80s early 90s is what led to the severe drop in D&D sales. Competition has literally been there since the beginning.

However, nearly all of those earlier competitors were rather challenging for many potential players to obtain. That was quite unlike TSR's products, given the fact that TSR had a Random House distribution deal and had substantial penetration into stores like Toys 'R Us, hobby stores, bookstores, and such. No other game had that. In those days it was pretty hard if you didn't have good connections, which described a whole lot of folks.

By the early '90s, that situation had shifted a good bit and once the internet rose it shifted even more.

Jay Verkuilen

Sometimes, it's just out of your control and the reason is because fads change.

The role of luck is drastically underestimated by many people.

Good timing makes a huge difference. The first time D&D was big in the late '70s/early '80s came about riding on the wave of LotR (not saying D&D is "just" LotR---I've long argued it's really not), when fantasy as a genre developed. My guess is that, if you could administer sodium pentathol and/or promise anonymity, that the 5E folks would admit they had no idea that things would be so successful this time out.

All that said, D&D has pretty much always been the biggest game, albeit in the rather tiny share of the overall game market represented by TTRPGs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
All that said, D&D has pretty much always been the biggest game, albeit in the rather tiny share of the overall game market represented by TTRPGs.

Not always. There were a few years in the 90s when it wasn't and about four years a few years back, just before 5E. Probably a decade in total when it wasn't. Things wax and wane; it's easy to be caught up in the moment.

Jay Verkuilen

Not always. There were a few years in the 90s when it wasn't and about four years a few years back, just before 5E. Probably a decade in total when it wasn't. Things wax and wane; it's easy to be caught up in the moment.

It's certainly true that it's slipped a few times but I think 80+% dominance is a pretty good record, all things considered.

Jay Verkuilen

It's turtles, all the way down!

Personally, even since the days of BB&N and DARPA, the internet was designed for nothing more than complaining.*
Yeah, I've been on the internet since the early '90s and many of the bad behaviors that showed up back then are still present, but it's truly become "September forever" except in environments where there's some community moderation.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads