Pathfinder 2E The Sameness Of The Six Abilities Over Time

Kaodi

Hero
One thing that I find kind of personally fun/ny: I have tried a kind of random character generation a number of times purely as an exercise, but not one where you roll 4d6 for stats.

I roll for for ancestry (half-elf and half-orc are counted as heritages for this step) then I roll to see which abilities get the free boosts.
I roll for heritage.
I roll for background using d100 (each background is gets two numbers for now, and I reroll if there is anything higher than 2x available backgrounds). I roll for which of the two listed abilities is boosted, then I roll where to put the remaining free one. If their background has a variable skill, probably roll for that too.
I roll for where to put the four free boosts.
I roll for class, but I sometimes roll which which ability gets the variable boost, sometimes not, depending on if there is a tie between the two relevant abilities to begin with. If there is no tie, I usually opt to stick it on the one that is higher.

So the fun thing is that is if your campaign lasts long enough and your character survives the sameness of ability scores at the upper levels means that eventually they will become basically the same as if you chose their abilities at the beginning. And that could be an interesting way to play it sometimes I think.

Here is the outline of a character I made last night using this method.

rock dwarf scout outwit ranger 1, lawful neutral
str 12 dex 14 con 12 int 14 wis 16 cha 10
feats
ancestral - dwarven lore
background - forager
class - monster hunter
skills
trained - arcana, athletics, crafting, deception, dwarven lore, intimidation, nature, occultism, plains lore, religion, society, stealth, survival

Remove ads