• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Scattered Ones

Morbidity

First Post
Amaryllis said:
Getting technical now, hunh. Ok. I am walking down the staircase. So is everyone else. Some people are within 6 seconds ahead of me and some within 6 seconds behind me. I figure that makes the total area max of about 60 feet from each other. The lights are spread out in a 10 foot long rectangle (width = width of stairs) centred on the middle of the group but, if necessary, forward enough so that I can see. I assume other characters can speed up or slow down so they are within 30 feet of the light so that they can at least get partial vision. I am a halfling, thus slower than everyone else. If Seebor is going at maximum speed, there is little I can do for him.

Lets just put it down to "light optimization." If you tell me precisely the distance between all characters, I'll calculate it myself.

Although Dancing Lights must be within 10 feet of each other - there is no rule that they have to be within 10 feet of me.

Well no there is no rule that they have to be within 10 feet of you, but if they are more than 15 feet from you then you can't see!

In practice it is assumed that you have your move and then the next person moves. Yes, although in theory everything happens at once, if you move more the lights more than 20 feet away from the guys on the next floor in your turn then they are in darkness for their turn. Also you are going down a spiral staircase so light isn’t going to travel as far as it would in the open. Effectively once you've turned once around the staircase the light won’t travel up. Does this make sense? I really am not trying to be difficult here.

Where is everyone? The same place they were end of round 4 except for Seebor who is the bottom of the staircase and Namfoodle who is one step behind him.

If you cast dancing lights and then act then presumably you could have got about half way down the stairs.

I’m bored with this. I’m going to rule that you can see, anyone descending the first half of the stairs can see … the second half is still in darkness (including Namfoodle and Seebor), and anyone within 15 feet of the top of the stairs can see.

Morbidity

First Post
Stuff it. I’m thoroughly bored with this encounter.

Mr Friendly is on 5 hit points. I’m going to assume Neblin has light enough to see and blasts Mr Friendly with his wand (since Neblin apparently can’t be bothered posting), so Neblin reduce the number of magic missiles left on your wand by one.

Now can you all work out a permanent light solution, regroup, heal … whatever and then tell me what you want to do next.

I do hope you are all keeping track of how many spells you’ve used today.

dorin

First Post
Seebor thanks Namfoodle, and then suggests that we all meet (in some light) and address various things including healing and a general plan. He suggests the top of the stairs given that the environment is now a lot more friendly (or less Mr Friendly as the case may be!)

Last edited:

Amaryllis

First Post
Cool; thanks DM!

Amaryllis follows Seebor's suggestion. The lights move to hover at the top of the stairs.

Somewhere in the conversation that ensures, Amaryllis reminds the party that the imp is still out there...not that she is going to split the party again!

Neblin, having just enough light to see Mr Friendly, blasts him with his wand, destroying him.

[Damage = 2+2+3+4=11]

Neblin dutifully reduces the number of magic missiles left on your wand by one.

:p

dorin

First Post
"Shall we rest and heal inside or outside this place? We can shut the front door/remove the lid to the pit. Do we have enough healing to continue today or do we need to sleep the night?"

Amaryllis

First Post
"You all look a bit worn and in need of rest. While I have managed to escape injury, the rest of you have not been so lucky. I think that the result of continuing would not be that the medicines would be delivered faster, but rather that they wouldn't be delivered at all. I would hazard a guess that, with the surprises we've had here, there are probably more waiting. We are no use to anyone dead.

The only thing that concerns me is the imp. I think he is in the shute and with all this fighting I have only been able to guard one end. The choice is really whether to sleep there and continue to place guards overnight or risk an ambush when we are not expecting it. On the other hand, Seebor's suggestion isn't a bad one. It would certainly be safer. But I am worried about that imp."

[OOC - One brief comment on frequency of posting. I think we should all reach some kind of agreement on this. If posts are going to be once a day approx. for everyone, that is fine. If they are going to be once a week and everyone agrees that is the best way to do it, I have no objections either. But I think we should all post at about the same rate - otherwise the game just doesn't seem to have the right rhythm. I know that sometimes work thingies come up and everyone gets temporarily busy, and that is unavoidable. But we have been playing a fair while now and some people are clearly busier than others. If that means we reduce posting for everyone to once a week in order for everyone to keep up, then I think that makes sense.]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads