• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The scent of blood

Warehouse23

First Post
Is anyone aware of a critter out there that has a "bloodlust" type of ability? I am thinking of critters which go berserk, "rage" or get other combat bonuses when they are in the presence of fresh blood (I'm thinking something like sharks going into a frenzy, or the feeding behavior of crocs--only I'd prefer non-aquatic creatures).

The idea behind this question is a spray-type trap which dowses the PCs in blood (unless they make a reflex save). In addition to the "this is gross, what the hell is going on?" response, I want the PCs to panic as secret panels slide open in the walls, revealing slathering critters which, in a turn, will smell the gore and suddenly become much more of a threat.

Pinotage

Explorer
Well, Sahuagin can go into a rage if they're damaged in combat. While they're aquatic they can go on land as well. Probably not what you're after, but you could cause the sight of blood to send them berserk?

Pinotage

Dingleberry

First Post
House rules on: I added the following "Blood Frenzy" ability to a race of shapeshifting shark-like creatures (called the "sharek") as follows:

Blood Frenzy: If a significant quantity of blood is introduced into the water within 180 feet of a sharek, it must make a Will save (DC 10) or fly into a frenzy the following round, pursuing the source of the blood and madly attacking it until it (or the sharek) is dead. (Sharek often voluntarily fail this save.) If there are multiple blood sources, the sharek will attack the nearest bleeding creature (and the DC for the Will save may be adjusted at the DM’s discretion).

RandomPrecision

First Post
Warehouse23 said:
The idea behind this question is a spray-type trap which dowses the PCs in blood (unless they make a reflex save). In addition to the "this is gross, what the hell is going on?" response,

Any numerical effects for that? Will saves to avoid temporary Wisdom damage from the horror? Fortitude saves to avoid becoming sick? You could have fun with this...

Remove ads