• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Scribe: Please tear apart my class!

Dire Human

First Post
Please, by all means, be as vicious as possible when critiquing my class! The Scribe is an Arcane Leader and secondary Controller who specializes in creating zones of magical concepts. While the class is still in a rough stage balance-wise, I'd love some feedback from the internet while I get feedback from real life. Have at it!

The Scribe
“In the beginning was the word. Listen closely; it might teach you
something.”

Role: Leader. The glyphs that you draw infuse your allies with
forgotten power, revitalizing and improving them.

Power Source: Arcane. Words of ancient languages spoken in their
original incarnation contain fragments of the concepts they
represent, and you tap from that power with every stroke of your
brush.

Key Abilities: Intelligence and Constitution, Dexterity, or Strength

Attachments

• The Scribe.pdf
    180.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

Shadus

First Post
Well that was interesting. Reading over it quickly it beat my expectations, and seems to place it's self with own identity as a class. I like how different languages have different benefits, and the ritual caster and linguists feat, how ever I would put a bar on them being able to get Supernal or Abyssal through this feature. Plus, that way you make a few more interesting feats. Language of the Gods: Learns Supernal, and can speak it like Gods and Angels so that all creatures can understand it, even if they don't know the language.

Love to see more of this (Paragon and Epic classes).

the Jester

Legend
Looks much better than I expected. I haven't read through all the powers yet, but I'm liking what I've seen so far, though the flavor seriously reminds me of both invokers and runepriests.

I think Draconic Voice should change a close burst 3 to a close blast 3, not a blast 5. As of the at-wills, that's all I have for constructive feedback so far. :)

Stalker0

Legend
The only thing I didn't like was the name!

The class abilities are intersting. I think the earth language is a little weak on the class abilities but they all are neat.

I think half of your atwills are good. I personally really like effect based at wills, especially for a leader. The movement one is especially good...might even be too good.

The problem is your int vs fort attacks. Fort is a notoriously bad defense to go against, and the attack doesn't produce enough payment.

Dire Human

First Post
Thank you for all the fantastic support! I've adjusted and rejiggered quite a few of the powers, most notably reducing Word of Motion's targets down to one or two creatures and making Word of Illumination target Reflex instead. I'll have a brand spankin' new PDF up in a couple of days, but I could definitely use more feedback on some of the other powers!

Dire Human

First Post
Alright, it's time to get literate on your asses! I've got a new, shiny-looking PDF full of Scribe-y goodness ready to go. By all means, if you see anything over/underpowered, please let me know!

Attachments

• Scribe.pdf
    615.1 KB · Views: 92

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I feel like Word of Empowerment needs something more. The d12 damage is a big improvement, but the Scribe is giving up their standard action to make someone else's standard action more potent if they hit. If they miss, that's two standard actions completely wasted. Contrast that with the Warlord's Commander's Strike; that allows the other character to attack out of turn, and still get a regular turn. And there's a damage bonus attached, too!

I'd almost suggest reducing the damage, but making it take effect on the next hit against a designated target, much like Prophetic Guidance (Cleric Encounter). Or maybe give the Scribe some benefit from the power, like allowing them to shift a square or gain temporary hit points. Or grant temporary hit points.

Last edited:

Dire Human

First Post
I feel like Word of Empowerment needs something more. The d12 damage is a big improvement, but the Scribe is giving up their standard action to make someone else's standard action more potent if they hit. If they miss, that's two standard actions completely wasted. Contrast that with the Warlord's Commander's Strike; that allows the other character to attack out of turn, and still get a regular turn. And there's a damage bonus attached, too!

I agree; it was sort of a filler, and having taken a second look thanks to your post I found it lacking. Here are the updated versions of each of my at-wills, in case people don't want to open a PDF every time they want to critique:

Word of Empowerment, Scribe Attack 1
Your words swirl around an ally, granting their next attack astonishing strength.
At-Will * Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action, Area burst 1 within 10
Target: Each ally in the burst
Effect: The next attack made by the target before the end of your next turn gains a +1 bonus to the attack roll and deals an extra 1d6 force damage on a hit.
Level 21: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier force damage.

Word of Draining, Scribe Attack 1
A foreboding feeling sweeps the foe as his life force is siphoned into your ally.
At-Will * Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action, Ranged10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage.
Effect: The next ally that hits the target before the end of your next turn gains temporary hit points equal to your Intelligence modifier.
Level 21: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier necrotic damage, and temporary hit points equal to twice your Intelligence modifier.

Word of Illumination, Scribe Attack 1
Your powerfully illuminating words light the way for your allies.
At-Will * Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action, Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence + 2 vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier radiant damage, and the target cannot benefit from partial cover or partial concealment until the end of your next turn. In addition, the penalty to attack rolls against the target imposed by superior cover and total concealment is no worse than -2.
Level 21: 2d6 + Intelligence modifier radiant damage.

Word of Motion, Scribe Attack 1
Your words create the motion necessary to shift the battlefield to your liking.
At-Will * Arcane, Force, Implement
Standard Action, Close burst 5
Target: One or two creatures in the burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Reflex
Special: If the target is an ally, they can choose to be automatically hit by the attack and take no damage.
Hit: Intelligence modifier force damage, and you slide the target 1 square.
Level 21: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier force damage.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads