• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The search function and NPCs

Bloodsparrow

First Post
The four letter limit on words in the search function makes it hard to find threads.

For instance, if I want to do a search for things like "Iron DM" or "Iron NPC", the function won't except it because there are words that are smaller then four letters. So I can only do a search for "Iron", which doesn't really narrow down the field at all.

I also cannot do searches based on DMG, PHB, HoL, or just about anything else of that nature.

Can this be changed? Can we at least try out at least a three letter requirement? Or perhaps can a list of applicable exceptions be implemented somehow?

Just wondering.

Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've tried 3 letters before, and without exception it has crashed the server. Words like "the" and "and" (or even "d20") are so common that the process becomes immensely intensive.

Bloodsparrow

First Post
Morrus said:
I've tried 3 letters before, and without exception it has crashed the server. Words like "the" and "and" (or even "d20") are so common that the process becomes immensely intensive.

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Ah well. Thanks anyway. :cool:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Bloodsparrow said:
... if I want to do a search for things like "Iron DM" or "Iron NPC", the function won't except it because there are words that are smaller then four letters. So I can only do a search for "Iron", which doesn't really narrow down the field at all.
Do the following search:

Search for "iron"
only in General RPG Discussion
only in thread titles

EricNoah

Adventurer
There's a way we can enter some exeptions to the rule -- NPC, DM, AC, etc.

I have entered the above plus hp, hd. I'll do a search and see how it goes.

EricNoah

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
There's a way we can enter some exeptions to the rule -- NPC, DM, AC, etc.

I have entered the above plus hp, hd. I'll do a search and see how it goes.

Hmm, it works -- somewhat. I typed in NPC and got exactly one "hit" though -- this thread. My guess is that some kind of reindexing may have to be done, or it just might do it naturally over the course of time.

How about this -- you folks submit me a list of 2-3 letter terms vital to D&D and RPGs in general and I'll see about getting them added to the list, and see what we have to do to reindex.

LightPhoenix

First Post
EricNoah said:
Hmm, it works -- somewhat. I typed in NPC and got exactly one "hit" though -- this thread. My guess is that some kind of reindexing may have to be done, or it just might do it naturally over the course of time.

How about this -- you folks submit me a list of 2-3 letter terms vital to D&D and RPGs in general and I'll see about getting them added to the list, and see what we have to do to reindex.
I thought vBulletin did reindexing periodically on its own, but maybe not.

Remove ads