• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Secret Fire (Legends & Labyrinths)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I'm not the publisher, I'm just one of the guys at TSF :)
I've flagged this up, and it tuns out it was a setting enabled by default - so, yes, like the Hand of Vecna itself (or the Mask of the Pallid King to use a Talisman from The Secret Fire!) it's a bloody artifact! :)

Thanks! Yeah, that's what I thought, and it wouldn't be the first time a publisher fell into that trap! B-)

Beastman

First Post
@Beastman , sorry about the delay. You are correct: it’s the latter. Always roll against Dodge.

No problem. Thanks for confirming. Another two or three questions:

What happens is you are wearing armor not listed under your calling? Is there a penalty to something - can't find anything in the book.

What about casting spells in armor? I seem to recall that you can cast spells in armor without penalty.

Next: holy-man and wizard says that he can know 5+WIS/INT-adj. spells per (calling?-) Level but is limited to the number of spells per day he can cast as shown on the tables. Then under Energiepoint-Chapter there is the option to swap spells or recast an already cast spell. This seems to implicate that holy-man and wizard have to prepare a selection of spells at each day from their known spells and can only cast these prepared spells on that day? This is however, never stated in the rules.

And: if i have rank 1+ in an elder god, i can call him once. but what is the purpose then of having more than 1 rank in an elder god?

Last edited:

mandragora

First Post
Armour counts towards encumbrance - it might be that a wizard just isn't strong enough to wear it and move. Yes, they can wear armour
See the Errata section on http://www.themandragora.com/the-secret-fire-rpg/ for clarification on the prayers/spells - this is my own page, not the official one, as http://secretfiregames.com is being upgraded.
The ranks in Elder gods are going to be explained fully in the first supplement - we had a lot more material than could fit in 300 pages!

Baumi

Adventurer
I also have a few questions: :)

-) Does anyone have the Stats of the Staff? It is mentioned several times, but was forgotten in the Weapons-Table.

-) Does Health add Stamina? In the summary it was included, but in the Section about Stamina, there was no mention of it.

-) Is there a way to train new skills?

-) The Longsword seems simply better than any other one-handed Weapon, is there a reason for that?

Beastman

First Post
I also have a few questions: :)

-) Does anyone have the Stats of the Staff? It is mentioned several times, but was forgotten in the Weapons-Table.

-) Does Health add Stamina? In the summary it was included, but in the Section about Stamina, there was no mention of it.

-) Is there a way to train new skills?

-) The Longsword seems simply better than any other one-handed Weapon, is there a reason for that?

1. No stats found
2. Yes: Stamina = 2 + Health adjustment + Calling-bonus
3. No, not that I found it
4. Don't know.

Designers are pretty mute. Perhaps directly mail to George. he seems to be friendly and willing to answer. I hope they have a forum on their site soon. Upon second read-through there are too many small errors slipped into the text. The editing is VERY BAD, at least from the Lulu-pdf version I have read. Although most things you can figure out by yourself, the designers / editors should really go through the text (especially the prayer and spell sections) once more and make an updated pdf. I think its a good system and would not like to go it the way of the dodo because of this.

Last edited:

mandragora

First Post
Designers are pretty mute.
Yeah, I apologise for this - I've been hideously busy in my day job. We are going through the test and fixing what doesn't work - that's why we've been a bit quiet. We kin dof dropped the ball a bit in teh run toward GENCON. should have updated the PDF versions and a decent errata sheet soon. Its tricky as some of the layout needs to be exact for some of the puzzles...
There were 'problems', for want of better word, with certain sections that will shortly be addressed and an updated PDF available.
There's approximately 100 pages that we had to cut anyway, but we're releasing some of them as free content (http://secretfiregames.com/).

DonAdam

Explorer
My friends and I played it with George and had a blast. Of course, we also played with him when it was a set of house rules of Essentials and also had a blast.

There are some great ideas in the game and I definitely think it's worth a shot.

Remove ads