• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Secret of Bone Hill - your experiences?

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
Second thread of a series on the old classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.
I hadn't seen this one (your new thread said it was the third so went back to find what I missed).

We played Bone Hill as our gaming group's third module way back in 1983. We had a very big gaming group at the time and we ran it simultaneously to also running "B2: The Keep on on the Borderlands" with a handful of players who wanted a second game each week. We had a newbie DM for Boot Hill and he didn't do the best job of it, but we all had fun. Restenford Castle was well designed and interesting. The group has returned to Lendore Island twice in our campaign since then.

You can read the "Story Hour" for that module yourself if you'd like, as I've got an "Early Years" thread posted over on the 1st Edition Dragonsfoot board. Here is a link to the thread, Bone Hill (and Borderlands) being posted as Chapters 23 to 27.

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1481

Havlo

First Post
I bought this module back when it was new (man, I feel old now) but never really read through it or got to play it. After reading this thread, I will have to pull it out and go through it. Sounds like it would be a good campaign starter.

Lazybones

Adventurer
I ran L1 for two groups back in the 80s. Nice, straightforward module. I liked how it gave a complete town setting, a diverse outdoor area, and a complete dungeon (few of the mods from that era were this complete). Even though it's for 2nd-4th level, you could easily start a campaign there with 1st level characters, beginning with the rat-infested guardhouse on the edge of the town (with a few changes, toning a few of the encounters down) to get things going.

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Okay, I will be pretty much the only person to say this, but I found this module to be really dreadful. It seemed at the time (I was about 14 or 15) to be poorly written and a bt chaotic. I have re-read it a few times since then and still don't like the feel of it.

I did like L2 and would love to get my hands on a copy of L3 though.

DM

DethStruck

First Post
For anyone converting this module: do you keep the current stated levels and change the creatures or do you use the same creatures and raise the levels?

Remove ads