D&D 5E The Secret Under the Stairs (IC)

Fenris

Adventurer
Brad notices a pair of neighbor kids watching him unpack the car, about 12 years old or so. One of them, holding a basketball, says, "Hey, you know that place is haunted right?"

Brad straightens up. "Oh yeah, by what? What do you know about it" he says leaning against the car.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OOC: Apologies for not posting yesterday. Time slipped away from me. [MENTION=6788194]Zansy[/MENTION], are you still with us?

The Carroll House

Miriam discovers that the diary belongs to someone named Miriam Wallace, a girl about 10 or 11 years old judging by the entries. Skimming through, Miriam finds that this other Miriam's life was full of heartache - her father died when she was young, just after his grandmother had come to live with them. Nana, as Miriam refers to her, was suffering from dementia and Miriam secretly hated her, especially when she had to help the older woman bathe because her mother was out. Later entries describe how Miriam wanted desperately to escape into a fantasy world and her writing gets jumbled in places, mixing fantasy and reality, referring to her great-grandmother as the "Old Hag who eats children."

The final entry talks about the closet under the stairs being locked all the time and her mother having left it unlocked, which was peculiar.

Meanwhile...

When Bella puts the birthday card back in the box, she finds an old-fashioned skeleton stuck under one of the bottom cardboard flaps of the box. The key has a loop at the end with a simple black string necklace laced through it.

Outside...

The two boys shrug at Brad's question, "The girl who lived her disappeared and her mom hung herself. But they ain't the ones haunting the place." The other boy chimes in, "Yeah, its the old grandma. Nasty old lady. My cousin said she killed the little girl. And she's still there, just waiting to kill any kid who goes in the house."

Lotsa Burgers

Mark and the belligerent man tumble to the ground. The man's face distorts again, returning to normal, and he shrieks in pain, "Help! Help! I'm being assaulted!"

Simon, meanwhile, runs outside and, for a blink of the eye, is in a forest, with a dozen beady eyed goblin-like creatures looking at him. But, they are gone just as quickly and he's in the parking lot again, where he should be. The tranquilizer gun isn't where it should be, however. In its place is what looks like a medieval crossbow.

Zansy

Explorer
TERRY CARROLL

OOC: sorry I wasn't active! I've recently become a DM myself, which takes my mind from a lot of other projects. I'll try to improve on this in the future but I can't promise anything at this point.
Worth noting that I have been watching the thread, though.

Surprised by the sound of a strange woman in his room, he follows
the sound and checks his new bathroom. Not having yet given thought that "Miri" sounds hauntingly like his mother's name, but there's no chance that's his "Nana"
OOC: if he sees anything/anyone there, Terry will either scream or say "hello?" as appropriate. If nothing is there, Terry will shrug it off for now.

Last edited:

Skarsgard

Explorer
Miriam

A cold child snakes it way down Miriam's spine as she reads her namesakes entries. She leaves the closet with the door open behind her and then stops, despite telling herself she was being irrational, she went back and closed the door.

Moving into the kitchen she puts the kettle on and makes herself a cup of coffee, she glances at the diary and puts it in the drawer. There is a lot of work to do before dinner time. Sitting a moment she finds herself pulling the book out and start reading, after several minutes she unconsciously moves so she can see the closet door.

mips42

Adventurer
Mark

in a quiet whisper, Mark says to the man 'Whatever you are or were, I see you. Leave here in peace.'
He then crawls off of the belligerent man and stands by warily. If the girl returns with the mans' food, Mark will hand her a ten and tell him to 'Just go.'

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Bella shrugs, putting the necklace around her neck. "This is kinda cool, I'd better show Brad. Where is he anyway?" She steps out into the hallway and yells, "BBRRAADDDDDD, WHERE ARE YOU???" She pauses then yells again, "MOMm there is a bunch of old kid's crap in the closet, can I throw it away??""

Fenris

Adventurer
The two boys shrug at Brad's question, "The girl who lived her disappeared and her mom hung herself. But they ain't the ones haunting the place." The other boy chimes in, "Yeah, its the old grandma. Nasty old lady. My cousin said she killed the little girl. And she's still there, just waiting to kill any kid who goes in the house."

Brad grins at the kids "And the phone call was coming from inside the house right? I think you two have been watching too many scary movies late at night. I'll let you know if I see Casper."

Brad hear's Bella's call faintly. "Uhp. Gotta go, lots to move. See you boys around." says Brad as he grabs another box and heads into the house. He sets the box down in the front hallway. "Where are you Bella?" he calls out.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
"IN MY NEW ROOM, DUH. COME UPSTAIRS AND YOU'LL FIND ME!!" She waits impatiently in the hall for Brad to make it up the stairs while she wonders how much work has to be done before they can relax.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
OOC: @Twiggly the Gnome, are you still with us?

The Carroll House

As Terry enters the bathroom, the room seems to spin and an extreme sensation of vertigo hits him. For a moment, everything around him is replaced by an almost medieval castle, the bathroom replaced by a washroom with curtains surrounding a bathtub with a hand-pumped water spout and buckets nearby. A woman's silhouette can be seen in the tub behind the curtains in the bathtub. A voice, a different, younger voice says, "Aldavran, is that you? Aldavran stop playing around." Then the moment passes. He is back in his room and his bathroom.

Miriam is reading through the diary when a particular entry stands out due to being written in large letters with drawings of dragons breathing fire on people who must be the other Miriam's mother and nana.

I hate my life! I hate my nana! I hate my mother! I want them to go away forever! Or, better yet, I want to go away forever. To Narnia or Hogwarts or anywhere but here. Somewhere where I can be a princess, spoiled and pampered and where I never have to smell old lady stench ever again! My word will be law and my first law will be that everyone over 50 will be put to death. I will never get old! Never!!!!!!!!

As Miriam finishes reading the last word, the closet door suddenly flies open, hitting the wall, and then slams shut with a loud crack.

Brad comes in just as the door to the closet under the stairs bangs around, seemingly on its own. He sees Miriam sitting nearby with an old notebook and Bella at the top of the stairs...wobbling back and forth as if she is about to pass out and about to fall.

Bella, at the top of the stairs, hears the crack, but then starts to experience a nauseating case of vertigo. She is suddenly in a medieval style castle, at the top of a grand staircase, banners and tapestries decorating the halls. A woman's voice calls from a room down the hall, "Aldavran, is that you? Aldavran stop playing around." Bella sees a man, dressed in the manner of a medieval noble, a ceremonial sword at his side, coming up the stairs. He seems to walk right through Bella as he approaches the room from which the voice came. The moment passes...and Bella finds herself teetering on the top step, about to fall.

OOC: Bella needs to make a Dexterity save. If she fails, Brad can try to rush up to catch her with a Dexterity save of his own.

Lotsa Burgers

The belligerent man gets up, straightening his shirt, "I don't know what the hell you are talking about you crazy S.O.B." He takes his food and throws it in Mark's face, then stalks out. As he is going through the door, his face distorts again, into the nightmarish orc-like visage and he turns back, smiling, "You see me? You see nothing. If you come through the door, you will die." He then leaves, the door swinging closed behind him. Again, no one else seems to have seen anything out of the ordinary as the girl behind the counter says to Mark, "Thank you. You didn't have to do that."

OOC: Sorry, been busy with IRL stuff. :(

Simon shakes his head in disbelief at the sight of the crossbow. He becomes disoriented as his point of perspective shifts back and forth, seeming as if at times he were significantly shorter than he actually is. He regains his bearings just in time to see the belligerent man walking out of the restaurant.

Simon begins walking back toward the restaurant to check on Mark.

Remove ads