• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Shadow Council (Solo Game)

Tyler Durden

First Post
Ferrix said:
This is a very brief and short thought experiment for a character for this game, I haven't embellished the reintroduction into the Church as that may be part of the entrance into this game. Large parts are left out as I want to hear if you think it's a valid concept you would consider before devoting a great deal to it.

Embellish away! Chameleons are obviously an appropriate choice for this kind of game.

Land Outcast

Explorer
Ok... I was thinking him not as a lone character (no staying power) but as part of a duo...

[basic story, to be developed further]
An ex-adept to a faith revering death as bringer of renewal and purifier...
Expulsed by his mentor because of having helped a man save his life once...
Basically he now wanders the land as a wildcard, the only thing he retains from his previous faith is that death is not to be feared, nor it is to be feared to deliver death...
He's basically waiting for something to happen upon him, hiring himself out as bodyguard or else...

After that post speaking about mechanical strength of the character I'm worried... a Monk 5 Ftr 2 isn't precisely a powerhouse... I'll see...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Tyler Durden said:
@Jdvn1-Looks interesting so far. Are you planning to stick with straight fighter? One thing you should be a little concerned about is that fighter characters don't fit the bill of being very versatile.
That's very true. If you look at the sblock at the bottomo of the character sheet, you'll see the plan was to originally go Fighter into Exotic Weapon Master and then into Heir of Siberys. It's a very strong Fighter build since I actually end up getting more feats and abilities than a straight Fighter, but it isn't very versatile. His skills (cross-class Tumble, cross-class Spot) try to make up for it, but it does end up not being not quite up to par.

I originally considered making him a Fighter/Ranger or a Ranger or mix Barbarian in there somewhere, originally, so that I could have more skills to play with, so that I could play one of those nifty dinosaur-riding Halflings. I'll have to think on it a bit. I had ended up going with Fighter because I needed a lot of feats to make the Double Scimitar TWFing build feasible (exotic weapon proficiency, TWF, IBD, etc, all within 5 levels), but with nine levels to play with, I have more flexibility.

Jemal

Adventurer
So when you say 1 on 1, does that mean you're looking for a single person out of all those who express interest, or were you planning on running multiple games?

Tyler Durden

First Post
Jemal said:
So when you say 1 on 1, does that mean you're looking for a single person out of all those who express interest, or were you planning on running multiple games?

The former. I plan to run one game that has one player in it. As I said before though, I may choose two characters if I see a duo that I think will work better in the game.

ByteRynn

First Post
Kipling Fazerro

Background: [sblock]Years ago I was a soldier for the Army of the Silver Flame. I followed the Lieutenant-Lt. Donnal Redding he was, and I followed him far. He was the type that had the Flame on his side, and all the men knew it-but noone followed him farther than his Kip.

After the war, there was warcrime to attone for, and the government, they needed people to put it on. The blame kept gettin' passed down the ranks until it fell on the Lieutenant's shoulders. He couldn't prove he wasn't responsible, and wouldn't bust himself out though he knew his innocence. That's why he had his Kip and some a' his other men. We busted him out, despite his protests, and got him outta Thrane. The rest of the men left us, setting us up with their old weapons, wands, and armor...The Lieutenant and me? We had us a plan.

We decided to go out to the Demon Wastes where we heard that there was savage tribes that didn't know nothin' about civilized warfare. Me and the Lieutenant? We was trained soldiers from the finest army in the land, and we figured if we brought them weapons, taught them to use them so as they could beat their enemy tribes, they'd make us kings and give us the riches that those savages are always hidin' and don't know the value of. The Lieutenant thought maybe he was needed there...said the Flame was tellin' him so. Me? I wanted the riches...and to be with the Lieutenant.

Most ways, our plan worked. Near the border we picked up a half-orc fella name Hrusk, and we hired him for a guide into the Maze. There we met our savages, fought off some of their enemies, and trained them for winnin' wars. They defeated their enemies, and the Lieutenant showed his true stripes that day, and was a regular hero. They made him the king, and his Kip, well, I was loyal still. We were expiditioning deeper into the Maze, hunting for more tribes to ransack and conquer, and the Lieutenant, he got the feelin' he needed to go down this side path...the Flame called him there. We found some of those savages doing an evil ritual over this seal, trying to get some ancient evil out. The Lieutenant, he wouldn't have it, so we charged in, fighting tooth and nail. I guess this is where he slipped, and in all the fighting, he broke the seal. Our own tribe, they figured the way to reseal it was with the blood of those who broke it, and that maybe a king who makes mistakes isn't no kind of king at all.

I couldn't save the lieutenant, and they used his blood to close up that seal...and for good measure they decided they wanted mine and Hrusk's as well. One thing I can say, when Kip is being chased by an angry mob, he don't need to run faster than the mob...just faster than Hrusk. I snuck back and found the Lieutenant's symbol he always wore, and took it with me through the Maze, out, and back to the civilized lands. I started hearin' the voice that the Lieutenant always called The Voice of the Silver Flame, and it started tellin' me to tell the Lieutenant's story to everyone. I found me one of those Korranberg Chroniclers and told him my story...and he printed it full on with a sketch of the holy symbol and some of the ancient gold I escaped with that I showed him.

About a month later I was approached. The man said that he heard my story. The man said that he heard I had been doin' miracles of the faith around parts of the Q'barran jungles...which was strictly true, though I think that probably the voice that I was hearin' was doing the miracles, only helping me do them. He said he was part of an ancient order that new about men like the LIeutenant. Men so good, you'd do anything for them to make the world more like they wanted it to be. Men so good, they wouldn't always do the bad stuff that needed doing, and if they did, they wouldn't be the good men that you'd want in charge of the world once it was made good. This ancient order could show me how to do the bad stuff that kept the good men good...so I heard what they had to say...[/sblock]

About Me:[sblock]I've played actual table-top DnD since the release of 3rd ed, and became interested in DnD through the computer games, starting with an old Dragonlance game I had for my Commodore 64, and quickly updating to the Balder's Gate games. I started out DMing immediately with the adventure path. I moved to a place where I lived near other serious gamers and played a lot of Forgotten Realms, most notably a campaign were I took a character from level 1 to level 16. I love playing religous characters, but I don't mind if they are FIghter/Wizard/Spellswords, Ranger/Monks, Wu-Jen, or Clerics. I have recently become enamored with Eberron, and I DM an Eberron game every other week. I am known as something of a rules expert amongst my friends. I check EnWorld pretty much daily, and I can post about that often.[/sblock]

My Character:[sblock]Human N or CN Rogue2/Cleric3/Blackflame Zealot 4. His personality and outlook will be similar to the Operative from the film Serenity. His background is straight from Rudyard Kipling's The Man who Would be King. He would be good at sneaky rogue stuff, as well as a proficient healer with good versatile cleric spells for different jobs. I'll probably continue Black Flame Zealot all the way through, then if we keep going, I'll find some other 5-level class with stright-divine caster increase to get to 6th and 7th level spells-maybe just more cleric. I see the Black Flame Zealot's as a secret society that want the SIlver Flame to succede, and intend to do whatever is neccessary to see that it does bring peace and goodness to all the land, and that those who help it get there are not sullied by the sins required to achieve such a victory. The Prereqs in Complete Divine include EWP: Kukri (which isn't an exotic weapon), so I thought maybe it could be replaced with the stats of the Elven Lightblade from Complete Warrior, but have the look of it be a dagger that is twisted and shaped into a flame, the favored weapon of the dark works done by the Black Flame Zealots.[/sblock]

Stats:[sblock][sblock]Male human Rog2/Clr of the Silver Flame 3/Black Flame Zealot 6
NE Medium Humanoid
Init +5; Senses Listen +6, Spot +6
Languages Common, Orc, Goblin, Elven
Aura Powerful LG aura
Special evasion
Immunities Fear
Melee +2 alchemical silver flameblade +12/+7 (1d6+1/18-20) and
Melee +1 flametouched iron flamebade +11/+6 (1d6+1/18-20)
Base Atk +7; Grp +7
Special Attacks sneak attack +3d6, turn undead 3/day, death attack (DC 19), poison use
Spells Prepared (CL 6, CL 7 Law spells, DC 16+spell level):
3rd –
2nd -
1st –
0th –
Spell-like Abilities CL 5
1/day- dimension door
Skills Balance +12, Climb +5(+7 climbing ropes), Concentration +14(+18 casting defensively), Disable Device +13, Escape Artist +10(+12 ropes), Hide +22, Jump +7, Knowledge (religion) +11, Move Silently +17, Open Lock +15, Search +11, Sleight of Hand +10, Tumble +10, Use Rope +12(+14 bindings)
Possessions+2 alchemical silver flameblade, mask of wisdom +4, +3 mithril breastplate of shadow, gloves of dexterity +2, amulet of natural armor +1, ring of protection +2, +1 flametouched iron flameblade, dusty rose prism ioun stone, adventurer’s kit, mw thieves tools, silver holy symbol, spell component pouch, 1 dose of deathblade poison, 1 dose of large scorpion venom, 2 doses of giant wasp poison, 65 gp.[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

Tyler Durden

First Post
@Land Outcast - That's too bad. If you change your mind, submissions will be open for a while

@ByteRynn - Looks good so far! The switch from kukri to elven lightblade is fine.

Tyler Durden

First Post
Alright everyone, it looks like we have a few interesting character ideas at the moment, so I'm going to set the submision deadline at midnight on Wednesday (Eastern Time). At that point anyone who has submitted the required stuff (as outlined in the OP) will be considered for the game, and I'll pick the player by Friday.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads