The SHARK ORC

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

As my friends have expressed interest, I present my Orc. This Orc is used in my campaigns as a somewhat different take on the MM Orc. Not terribly different, but distinctive. I have provided the orc with a number of different hand-to-hand combat feats, to better represent their superior abilities at physical hand-to-hand combat from an early age. Toughness has been given its own special tweaking that I have found useful in my own campaign. It could in itself be abused if say, someone just wanted to load up on Toughness Feats, but as I don't have players like that, my players and I all agreed that modifying the Toughness Feat in the manner done would be cool, effcient, and worthwhile. It makes Toughness desirable and tempting to take, regardless of your character's class, but without being unbalanced.

The Orc is a very tough race, and in my campaign they are not surviving merely by outbreeding everyone. They are tough all by themselves! I usually throw Orcs at low level parties only in small numbers initially, but Orcs remain competitive throughout the careers of characters.

I hope you all enjoy my work.:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

Orcs

Orc
Speed: 20 ft. (Scale mail); base 30 ft.
AC: 16 (+4 Scale Mail, +2 DEX)
Attacks: Greataxe +3 melee; or Javelin +1 ranged
Damage: Greataxe 1d12+3; or Javelin 1d6+2
Face/Reach: 5ft. by 5ft./5ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft, light sensitivity; Fast Healing 2;
Saves: Fort +5 (MM +2), Ref +2 (MM +0), Will -1
Abilities: (Racial Modifiers)
STR +4
DEX +2
CON +6
INT -2
WIS -2
CHA -2

Average Orc soldier--(after modifiers)
STR: 14 Assigned stat-roll of 10 compared to(MM 15)
DEX: 14 Assigned stat-roll of 12 compared to(MM 10)
CON: 16 Assigned stat-roll of 10 compared to(MM 11)
INT: 8 Assigned stat-roll of 10 compared to(MM 9 )
WIS: 8 Assigned stat-roll of 10 compared to(MM 8 )
CHA: 8 Assigned stat-roll of 10 compared to(MM 8 )
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +2
Feats: Alertness; I have added the following:
Wrestling
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Grapple
Grappling Throw
Toughness* (In my campaign, Toughness adds 6+3xCon Modifier in hp)
Skill Focus: +3 to Craft (Mining)
Skill Focus: +3 to Craft (Armorsmith)
Skill Focus: +3 to Craft (Weaponsmith)

Climate/Terrain: Any/Any Land
Organization: Brood: 2-5; Patrol: 5-20; Band: 20-40; Clan: 40-60; Tribe: 61+
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: By Character Class

PHYSIOLOGY

Orcs are a race of powerful, savage humanoids. Orcs are usually 6.0’-7.0’ in height, and weighing approximately 260-380 lbs. Female Orcs are approximately 20% less in height and weight. Orcs are broad shouldered, with deep chests. Orcs have naturally high metabolisms, which prevents them from really getting fat. Orcs have heads that are somewhat oblong-shaped, with broader skulls. Orcs have a distinguishing hard brow, deep set eyes, and large, broad noses. Orcs have large, pointed ears, and chiseled jaws. Orcs have feet that are broad, and leathery. Orc feet grow a particular charcoal-colored “padding”—more akin to the soles of dog-feet, than human feet, for example. Orcs arms are approximately 25% longer, with large hands, and long fingers. This feature provides them with arms that reach considerably longer than typical, roughly to their knees. Orcs are swift, but slightly clumsy as well. Orcs have efficient dexterity, allowing them to use hand-to-hand weapons with brutal efficiency. Orcs use of missile weapons is capable. Bows, spears, javelins, and such are easy to master. Due to the way their dexterity works, combined with their level of patience, Orcs don’t seem to like crossbows. Thus, it is rare to ever encounter Orcs that use crossbows as weaponry.

Orcs can see well, and have nightvision. Orcs have good hearing, and are skilled in their detection of scent. Orcs suffer in daylight, as their eyes are genetically predisposed towards twilight-dark conditions. Still, Orcs have powerful endurance, and are physically one of the most capable of races. Orcs are primarily omnivorous, but enjoy carnivorous diets in particular. Orcs drink nearly anything, but especially enjoy hard liquors, and fiery spirits. Orcs have the digestive capacity to eat raw foods, and can eat many things that prove toxic to other races. Orcs have a life span of approximately 120 years.

Orcs have a dark walnut colored skin, to a darker green pigment. Their eyes are typically of various shades of red, copper, or grey. Orc hair tends to be very curly, long, and even wiry. Orcs heal very quickly, and their stamina allows them to endure harsh elements, climates, and injuries that would defeat lesser races.

PSYCHOLOGY

Orc psychology is a complex array of philosophy, religion, and superstition. Orcs tend to be very superstitious, embracing many different types of fetishes, charms, and amulets. Orcs worry about omens, and practice such customs seriously. Orcs believe that they are the best race, ordained by their gods to break the world to serve them. The other races are usurpers, enemies, and food. There is little room for friendship with most other races. Orcs have a sense of incredible racial solidarity and loyalty to their tribe. This loyalty to the tribe ranges to the utmost in fanatical loyalty. Orcs are capable and willing to kill other Orcs, but only in the most pressing of struggles. Orcs are aware that most other races hate Orcs, and thus, they prefer to make alliances and agreements with other Orc tribes that may be encountered, or who are competing in the same area. This racial identity and loyalty is perhaps the key reason, combined with the physical power of the race, that Orcs have continued to endure across the world, in the face of such widespread hatred from other races.

Orcs are simple, but fierce in their devotion. Orcs value children, for the legacy that they will leave behind them. Orc females have specific roles within society, but are none the less valued within the context of thos prescribed roles. Orcs are not so social in nature that they develop huge numbers of friends—for they prefer smaller numbers of friends that they trust. Orcs, because of their competitive society, and their own vicious, self-interested natures, find it difficult to easily trust others, or to trust many. However, Orcs do recognize the value of trust, and of friends, but simply practice such with a larger degree of suspicion than in humans, for example. Orcs are innately hierarchical, and not only believe in ranks and status, but Orcs admire authority. The stronger and more courageous an Orc leader is, the more loyal his followers will be. Orcs approve of authoritarian government, as they believe it is a central attitude within theior religion as well. Orcs are suspicious of anything like democracy or unrestrained personal freedom. Orcs believe that the weaker should slave away for the stronger. This is a component of what makes the world and reality run the way it does, the way it “should.” Orcs believe in the appropriateness of slavery. Enemies—other races, are destined to serve Orcs as slaves. Because of Orc approval of slavery, the reality of half-orcs of various races is not uncommon. In the encounter of stronger races, like Ogres, or Hobgoblins, and so on, Orcs are sometimes willing to interbreed with such races, as such matings are seen as good for the spreading of Orc blood, and culture, throughout the world.

RELIGION

Orc religion is simple, hierarchical, and authoritarian. Non-believers, or those Orcs that seem to be outspoken in skepticism, or unbelief, are usually sacrificed to the gods. On occasion, these Orcs manage to escape, or on rare occasions, are exiled. Orc shamans are of absolute importance within the Orc tribe. Shamans dress themselves in the skins of the tribal totem animal, or of whatever fierce beast that is defeated in combat by the shaman. This special robe is ritually significant of the spiritual power and courage of the individual shaman. Thus, Orc shamans are often among the boldest members of the whole tribe. Shamans are bold and daring, setting an example of passion, faith, and courage for the rest of the tribe. In later years, their wisdom learned from surviving a harsh life, combined with their earlier reputation for ferocious courage, earns the Orc shaman a place of reverance and honor, even into old age when they are physically weak. As the Orc shaman ages, the shaman has cohorts of retainers that assist and support the shaman as needed.

Orcs celebrate the seasons as they change. Orc celebrations have significant meanings for the tribe’s interaction with the environment, but also as spiritual interaction with the gods. For example:

SPRING

Orcs organize vast fertility rites with the entire tribe. This is a time of mass procreation, in honor of the Orc gods, to increase the tribe. The Orc shamans, and the greatest of the Orc tribal champions, led by the Orc chieftan or king, randomly select from many of the tribe’s females to mate with. This frenzied activity is joined with great feasts, celebrating the essence of life for the Orcs.

Orc shamans wear a specially decorated robe for the occasion, and bestow gifts of fruit to any females they encounter. After the frenzied ceremony, the Orc males perform a series of ritual dances, and they encounter a female of choice, and present her with gifts, and with a public recital of praise, combined with declarations of their own achievements. Should the female be impressed, and accept the offering, then the male Orc will travel to the female’s house to dwell for the next two weeks, serving her as she desires. This processional and custom of the Orcs celebrates the female, the life-bringing power of the female Orcs in keeping the Orc tribe strong. It isn’t surprising that from this time of celebration, many Orc males then take females as wives. Orcs are polygamous, believing that it is good and necessary to have as many wives as the male Orc can feed and support. Though the Orc females are expected to raise the brood of children, and cook, and clean, and maintain the tribal home, they are valued as members of the tribe. Political power, in an official, formal sense, is prohibited from females. Religious expression and authority, though, are open to female Orcs. Orc females are seen to often have mystical powers, and peculiar insights into the spiritual realm.

SUMMER

Orcs celebrate by large sacrifices of humanoids or animals during this time, as occasion permits. In this celebration, Orcs have large series of communal dances, that are circular, interweaving figure eight dances, done while the sacred drums are beaten in rhythm. These special drums are only played during the summer celebration. These drums are played along with a ritually blessed set of bone flutes. These bone flutes, combined with the sacred drums, are believed to bring the favour of the spirit world onto the tribe. The spirits can uniquely “hear” the flutes and drums, and thus come to the gathering. These strange, ritual sounds are pleasing to the spirits of the ancestors of the tribe.

FALL

Here the Orcs burn sacrifices, and have an enormous feast of food, and the season’s first batch of Gethann, which is a special enchanted ale that is blessed by the shamans, and is made from a particular set of ingredients. This ale is only brewed in limited batches, at this time of the year. Orcs celebrate the passing of ancestors into the spirit realm, thus going on to serve their gods. This time is a period of happiness, but also solemnity and dignity for the Orcs.

WINTER

In this celebration, Orc bards and story tellers are honored as the keepers of history of the tribe. The death of the world is celebrated, in anticipation of the coming of spring, and the return of the sun. Orcs recite tribal poems, and sing an array of songs only sung at this particular time of the year. The Orcs also make communal pledges, righting any wrongs that they have done to one another, as members of the same tribe. The Orcs make restitution, and proclaim new plans and expeditions for the coming spring. In surface settlements, the Orcs carve special animal figurines at this time of the year, and recite ritual prayers of thanksgiving to the gods for the gifts of the animal world. In underground communities, a similar process honoring the underground creatures is performed. Special incense is burned at this time, as the tribe has special prayer groups that are divided by sex in prayer during this time only. Groups of males and females thus separate, and engage in intense prayer and song, before coming together in a climactic feast at the end of the ten-day cycle of the Winter celebration.

SOCIETY

Orcs have a very flexible society. They are quite adaptable, and though they can live in any land area, and in virtually any climate, Orcs organize their society into efficient hierarchy. The Orcs organize labour, supervising the work of slaves in undertaking tribal projects, training new Orc warriors, hunting expeditions, and so on. Orcs underground establish vast cavern complexes with many layers of tunnels and different large caves inter-connecting. In these case, Orcs are quite willing to mine and dig to improve their homes. They use traps, build special animal pens, and try to establish farms that are specific to the underdeeps. Above ground, Orcs seek to establish walled fortifications as quickly as possible. Female Orcs work right along side male Orcs in these endeavors. Orcs build wooden palisade walls and towers, as supply allows. Orcs can appreciate the use of stone, and make use of such in rough manner, as supply allows. However, though Orcs are efficient in their stonework, true sophistication escapes them.

Orcs are skilled metalworkers, however, and are quite capable of making good armor and weaponry. While Orcs believe in order, and structure, and authority, they have not necessarily embraced patience. Patience, as such, has escaped them. This frustration with patience means that many of the more complex crafting skills and products are absent from Orc society. Their ability to engage in long-term, complex routine is thus limited. Still, Orcs value craftsmanship, and eagerly trade with others for things that they can’t make themselves. Orc pottery tends to be interesting, as it is often large, stirdy pottery that is garishly decorated with vibrant colours, but also with bizarre animal and monster carvings and depictions.

Orcs value tattoos, and these tattoos have ritual, spiritual, and even personal significance. At birth, Orc children are given a ritual tattoo—that is unique to them in some kind of complex of shapes and designs that the tattoo-shaman inscribes into the young Orc’s body. Beyond this, Orcs gain tattoos for significant events, or for spiritual characteristics that the individual Orcs have embraced. This is one salient way that Orcs have expressed individuality within their society, as well as sporting interesting, and unique designs that individualize each other within the family or community. Special forms of piercing are practiced by some tribes of Orcs, but not all. Piercing seems to be a regional difference, rather than racial. Some piercings, like running a specially crafted ivory ring through the nose, is believed to have a protective quality, by shielding them from curses, but also is stained a deep green on the outer edges, and inscribed with designs. This beautification is also used to celebrate ritual achievements that the individual Orc has achieved. A variation of this is a bone torc, which is inscribed and stained with the green ink crushed from a Thendari plant, serves the same purpose for individual Orcs. Younger Orcs tend to favour the neck torc, while older Orcs tend to adopt the nose-ring. There are variations, though. Some tribes have these, while others do not.

Orcs value large families, and believe it is their duty to breed as much as possible. Orc females within the family, say five wives of one male, all raise the children equally, and with a high degree of group activities. Female Orcs braid, comb, and groom their male husbands, or brothers. Female Orcs are usually the tattoo-shamans, and have a sophisticated array of techniques and customs. The male Orc is celebrated as the prmier warrior. Orc males compete against each other for the honors of the females, and of the tribe. Personal glory and courage is seen as very important. Individual glory adds to the tribal glory, and prestige. Orc Chieftans reward loyal and courageous warriors, and the tribe trains and practices for war constantly. Orc shamans pray and perform the various rituals throughout society.

As noted, slavery is seen as a natural and good condition. Eating one’s enemies is also permissible, as well as savage humanoid/human sacrifices. These are seen as bringing sweet incense of their defeated enemies to the Orc gods. Orcs value torture, and have no hesitation about employing torture to gain information, or to punish a prisoner. Orcs value combat prowess, and military victory. Orcs see war as a condition to strengthen the tribe for the future, by subjugating their enemies. Future generations of Orcs in the tribe will have more land, more food, and more resources, thus ensuring their successful dominance in the region.

THE ORC ADVENTURER

Orcs can be very curious creatures. They are naturally bold, and rugged. Orcs are often heedless of pain, and potential danger excites them. The average Orc embraces the Barbarian Class, but Cleric, Expert, and Rogue are also popular. In some Orc tribes, those that have more exposure to sophisticated societies, may develop Fighters as well. Orc adventurers are either outcasts, or they are a group of Orcs from a particular tribe on some mission or long range scouting operation. Orcs don’t particularly enjoy hard labor, preferring slaves to do the grunt-work. However, if the Orc has no choice, or is convinced of the need, the Orc can labor with prodigious skill and efficiency. Orcs are naturally rough, and harsh. Though capable of casual cruelty, and bursts of savage wrath, Orcs can make ferocious and loyal friends. While Orcs are not the most intelligent, they are hard working and courageous. They can make highly skilled and dependable members of an adventuring party. In an all-Orc group, of course, the Orcs enjoy a uniformity of running endurance, as they can swiftly run, climb, and leap over the land as they travel on their journey. Orcs can keep going on meager rations, and if necessary, can be very low-maintenance. Their determination and group-loyalty can often bring success in all manner of demands and circumstances.

Last edited:

Thyrkill

Explorer
Hi Shark,

Now that is an Orc!

I too like to use a non-MM type Orc in my campaign but yours is far more fleshed out than my concept. Hope you don't mind if I steal it.

Thanks very much,
Thyrkill

Berandor

lunatic
They're back! The unrelenting killing machines known as Orcs!

Yay!

Combine this with Shark's use of tactics and strategy and you have... on second thought, better don't combine these two :)

All they need is "Iron touch of Kruk'Ma'Kali" from the upcoming Kalamar Player's Guide! *nudge*

22hp at 1st level!

Berandor

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
anyway you can put together all your critters in a .doc or .pdf and email it me or post it here? Allot of people love your creatures and would like to be able to download a copy of them. I am sure you have more as you have the ORC and OGRE...

Hey, SHARK. Did you say in there that hobgoblins were seen as stronger than the orcs? Now you've aroused my curiousity about them! :)

milo

First Post
I would like to see a collection of all of your creatures too. Some of your rules too. They are alot better than anything I could do and there is also the problem of me being to lazy to make something like this. Great Job!

durath

First Post
That is one bad motha****** orc, Shark.

Tell ya what, I'll give you $5 to STOP posting these critters cause if my GM gets ahold of them I think the PC fatality rate will skyrocket.

Remove ads