The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh

DrunkonDuty

he/him
[MENTION=2093]Gilladian[/MENTION]. I agree the following two modules are not as good. Second one relies on the players to have a kill first, talk second, frame of mind or else you basically ignore 3/4 of the printed adventure. But "kill first" really goes against the theme of the adventure: make allies of the lizardmen. The way we played through it the PC Bard went straight in and started talking. No one got killed and the bard was able to get all parties (Saltmarsh town council and lizardman chief) to agree to an alliance. It took about an hour of play time. Last one is really just a dungeon crawl. Which is fine, just not up to the level of interest of the first.

Stormonu

Legend
Wow - a necro from 2007!

This is one of my favorite "starting" adventures, and it makes a nice lead into the Slavelord series.

I wish they would reprint this series in a package with the expanded town information from the 3E DMG2.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I was going to lead it into the Slavers series too. Then I thought about how much dungeon crawling there is and how much my girlfriend likes dungeon crawling and I went for something else.

JZavoda

Explorer
This was such a wonderful module, not only because it had the right amount of story, problem-solving and fighting in it, but it also came with the deckplans of a ship (and a haunted mansion) that a DM could use in other parts of a campaign.

I would like to run a Lovcraftian themed version of this module with deep-ones and human-deep one hybrid pirates.

The Shadow Over Saltmarsh...

LoL I had that same idea and title in mind with 'The Doom That Came To Dunwater' as a sequel. Haven't delved deeply into it yet, but a CthulhuHawk campaign seems to fit nicely.

JZavoda

Explorer
Loved this module but we were kill-on-sight players back then and missed out on some nice role-playing moments to the frustration of our DM. We were especially bad about U2 and the Lizardmen.

I remember fleshing out the town of Saltmarsh the time I ran it and used it again later for an extended Greyhawk campaign.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
The thing to do to mitigate Ned (and to make his betrayal a bit more intense) is to include TWO prisoners. One is a real captive, taken to give cover to Ned, and the other is Ned the assassin.

I've started many new players with this module and I have used the two prisoner thing. It works quite well actually.

Gilladian

Adventurer
I've started many new players with this module and I have used the two prisoner thing. It works quite well actually.

Especially if there's a guard outside the door, and the second prisoner's family has received a ransome note. I have this idea that maybe the PCs are hired to find and rescue that victim, and they've found some clue that leads them out here to the haunted house; maybe they are following whoever collected the ransom, or whoever is leaving the ransome notes, or something to that effect. It could add a whole nother dimension to the smugglers' ways of making a living!

Remove ads