• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The sith in D&D?

NarlethDrider

First Post
Well, I've been looking for something 'different' to set the bad guys/race apart from the rest of the other 'general' bad guys. So, I've been rummaging through the D20 stuff that basically hangs out in the closet & came across the Darkside Sorcebook for the star wars game & thought this might be unique enough----has anyone else attempted to bring the darkside to their D&D (or AU) game?

Creeping Death

First Post
NarlethDrider said:
Well, I've been looking for something 'different' to set the bad guys/race apart from the rest of the other 'general' bad guys. So, I've been rummaging through the D20 stuff that basically hangs out in the closet & came across the Darkside Sorcebook for the star wars game & thought this might be unique enough----has anyone else attempted to bring the darkside to their D&D (or AU) game?

Yeah, I'm working on it right now for my own game. There are a few obstacles to overcome tho.

In Starwars you have vitality points and wound points. When vitality points goes to 0 whether taking damage or using force skills; once that happens any damage to wound points causes fatigue and the character has to make a fortitude save everytime he loses wound points to see if he is knocked out.. When wound points reach 0 you are disabled. Dying -1 to -9 wound points and dead at -10.

This has two effects, Jedi and Sith use their Hitpoints to power their force skills, and weapons do not have a critical hit damage multiplyer, instead, critical hits deal damage directly to wound points without touching vitality points. This makes the game a bit more deadly.

If you change starwars to hitpoints, then you have to do a few things. First any Starwars weapons you bring into D&D (lightsabers, sith swords) will need a damage multiplyer. Second, (this is just a suggestion) I would make 0 to -con you have a chance to be knocked out each time you take damage; then -con -1 to -con - 9, the character is dying and needs to make a stabilize check.

If you change D&D to use vp/wp, then everyone gets WP equal to their con score, huge creatures get I think a +8 bonus to wp, weapons lose their crit multiplier, and the game becomes deadlier because now a 20th level fighter with 15 con has the same wp as a first level fighter with 15 con.

In starwars armor gives damage reduction not a bonus to AC (read defense in star wars). Characters get hit more often in starwars because their defense (AC) is lower than the standard D&D character, but take less damage each time they are hit. That changes the dynamics a little bit. Jedi and other Star Wars classes get an automatic defense bonus, just like the monks scaling AC. The monk can then add other items to increase his AC even more, not so in Star Wars. The only thing that can boost defense in Star Wars, are force skills, Force feats, regular feats, and cover.

You can strip away the defense bonus for the classes and allow them to wear the standard D&D type armor. Or keep the defense bonus, prohibit armor and magical items; which keeps their AC about average (no armor, bracers +8 and ring of protection +5 will give the Jedi 1 more point of AC). Jedi with a lightsaber and Sith with a sith sword can do a nice amount of damage, especially at high levels. 20th level Jedi gets 4 attacks that do 6d8 points of damage each.

Jedi Guardian, 20th level, 18 dex, Lightsaber defense, knight defense, Master defense. Base 10 + 12 defense bonus + 4 dex + 6 lightsaber - master defense gives the character with a lit lightsaber an AC of 32, with deflect (defense) AC is 36 against projectiles. 22 if caught flatfooted.

Fighter, 20th level, 13 dex, Platemail + 5, large shield +5, ring of protection +5 (3.0 don't have 3.5) will have: base 10 +1 dex +9+5 Full Plate (+5) +2+5 Large shield (+5) + 5 ring of protection will have 37. 36 if caught flat footed, 37 against ranged weapons

Lightsabers ingnore damage reduction. If you go by the movies too, then armor wouldn't stop a lightsaber either so armor bonus would not count. Also, the mere act of blocking a sword swing with a lightsaber would cut the sword in two; hurray, the opponent just sundered his own weapon aginst your lightsaber. You will have to ignore a few things, such as making it so that armor does protect against a lightsaber and the Jedi would have to declare that he is trying to destroy "sunder" the armor and that somehow enemy weapons aren't destroyed whenever the Jedi blocks with his lightsaber.

Deflect (defense) and Deflect (attack) is mainly for blaster shots. Don't exist in D&D, the next closest thing is magic. More importantly ray magic, like disintigrate. The Lightsaber would or should work to block and or redirect these. But this presents a problem, Monks can get this ability only when they have passed 20th level, Jedi get it at 1st level.

Force points. There is no mechanic for this in D&D yet. In starwars if you do not have the Force-Sensitive feat, you can only max out at 5. You get one everytime you level and whenever you do a heroic thing. Get the Force-Sensitive feat and you can have an unlimited number. Force points do some cool things, they affect any d20 roll for an entire round based on level, dark or light side, or if you have the Force-sensitive feat or not.

Wow, this became longer than I expected. I haven't worked everything out yet. As you can see though, it is not a 1 to 1 conversion. I hope this helps.

Suldulin

First Post
a simple way to include the force in D&D without altering the hp system is to change the vp damage that comes from using the force to nonlethal/subdual damage

kirinke

First Post
*ponders

in a dnd setting, the jedi and sith would be considered psionic-monks worshipping nature (aka the force). the rod of energy could be supplemented for lightsabers. also any brilliant energy weapons could be substituted for light-weapons. the only difference would be the philophosy. i.e: what they consider psionics would be the force etc.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
NarlethDrider said:

Oh why, why...must one bring the DarkSide to a innocent world, here let me show you the errors of that terrible idea....(snap-hiss sound a lightsaber be activated) :rolleyes:

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
sith in D&D

Don't forget the early era's of the sith, when the jedi had developed light sabers but the Sith were still using standard melee swords for combat! those could much more easily be worked into a setting

kirinke

First Post
haayyy....

then my idea would work. especially if you do use the early era stuff. The original order could be monks who developed psionic skills as a natural extension to their ki. if you also include the philophosy of the druidic order (basic nature worship) then you have the beginnings of the jedi.

Jeph

Explorer
I think bringin a sith-like enemy to a D&D game would rock, because the sith are just that cool. But make sure it's just sith-like--don't go calling them "Sith," or some permutation, like "Sythe" or "Scyhth." That'll elicit a vast number of groans from your players, and eyes rolling so fast that you won't even be able to make out the irises.

kirinke

First Post
shrugs

not if you explain the situation first and let them come in knowing that the jedi are around in this. most would probably go Cooolllll! i know i would.

Remove ads