• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Size of Eberron

Jeremy757

First Post
So according to the maps on the inside cover of the ECS Eberron is only 16,000 miles in circumference.

I can draw one of three conclusions from this:

1. the scales on the maps are off.
2. Eberron is just a really tiny world.
or
3. the maps are incomplete; Eberron is actually Earth sized and that Oriental setting that all the OA fans have been looking for is hiding just off the left side of the front cover. :p

Jeremy757

First Post
Also Sharn is only 1000 miles away from the equator. About the same distance as the coast lines of Nicaragua and Honduras. I can imagine Breland, Zilargo, and Darguun must be very hot places in the summer.

Gez

First Post
It's not enough, climate depends on a lot of factors. For example, if there's a reverse Gulf Stream (a flow of cold arctic water) passing nearby, temperature will be cooled.

Then you have magic. Druids. Little bits of dragons orbiting the planet. Who is to know the effects on climate of little bits of dragons in orbit, who? :)

storyguide3

First Post
Jeremy757 said:
Also Sharn is only 1000 miles away from the equator. About the same distance as the coast lines of Nicaragua and Honduras. I can imagine Breland, Zilargo, and Darguun must be very hot places in the summer.

From Page 143 of the CS (entry for Breland) "In the South, from Wroat to the Straits of Shargon, the weather ranges from hot and muggy to hot and rainy, with only occasional periods of warm and dry."

I have only read about 15% of the book so far but the world seems to have originated from the remains/essences of three dragons -Law/Evil and Neutral. The trinity.

With this in mind- why does it even have to be a true "world" or planet. Think about the examples given the 3.0 Planar book.

We could all be dancing to the tune of these three dragons ..... :\

Jeremy757

First Post
storyguide3 said:
From Page 143 of the CS (entry for Breland) "In the South, from Wroat to the Straits of Shargon, the weather ranges from hot and muggy to hot and rainy, with only occasional periods of warm and dry."

What?.....you expect me to be well informed and read every word of the of the campaign setting before posting..... :mad: :]

It such a big book.. :( ...thats too much to ask for.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :lol: :p :D

Jeremy757

First Post
megamania said:
I have only read about 15% of the book so far but the world seems to have originated from the remains/essences of three dragons -Law/Evil and Neutral. The trinity.

With this in mind- why does it even have to be a true "world" or planet. Think about the examples given the 3.0 Planar book.

We could all be dancing to the tune of these three dragons ..... :\

Well that is the authors best caveat in any D&D world but in this case it is not the case. According to page 129 Eberron is a round world with rings circling it.

Oh and I hope nobody gets my intentions wrong I’m not complaining. I’m not one of this people that every thing has to be rational and make since to. I just noticed something about the world that I thought no one else had mentioned yet and thought I would bring it up for discussion.

Personally I think the scales on the maps are of and the maps should be larger but if that was the intended scales then I can live with that.

Staffan

Legend
Jeremy757 said:
So according to the maps on the inside cover of the ECS Eberron is only 16,000 miles in circumference.

I can draw one of three conclusions from this:

1. the scales on the maps are off.
2. Eberron is just a really tiny world.
or
3. the maps are incomplete; Eberron is actually Earth sized and that Oriental setting that all the OA fans have been looking for is hiding just off the left side of the front cover. :p
It's either 1 or 2. The book mentions that Sarlona is to the east and west of Khorvaire.

Also, it's not really that tiny - 16,000 miles is roughly 2/3 of Earth's circumference, and slightly bigger than Mars (Earth = 1, Eberron = 0.64, Mars = 0.53).

coyote6

Adventurer
The year's also fairly short -- 12 months of 4 weeks of 7 days -- that's 336 days, basically a whole month (say, February) shorter than the RW. A 24 Eberron-year old human would only be 22 Earth-years old.

Of course, it says the months correspond to the moons & marks, then says there used to be a thirteenth moon and mark -- thus implying that there used to be a 13th month, and a year used to be 364 days long . . .

If the length of the year changes depending upon the number of moons in the sky (and the number of different supernatural marks appearing on people), I think it's safe to say that Eberron isn't exactly following planetary physics as we know it. :) Maybe the world used to be larger, too . . .

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads