• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Skald!!(just read Beowulf!)

Duganson

First Post
Hello everyone!
So like I said I just read Beowulf (for the first time, and I'm 23, crazy, huh?), and I made a character to become a Skald (Barbarian/Bard). Last year's Dragon Annual has the progression as 10/10, but I think that a prestige class is called for in this instance.
The ideas I had for powers where 4 new Music abilities; one to create a rage-like effect within a certain radius, one to create a intimidation effect to all in a certain radius (or maybe just one target, we'll see), one that can calm sentient beings, and one that can calm nature (i.e. stormy seas, raging rivers, perhaps small animals with a save). I think that it would get about half as many rages/ day as the barbarian but no Uncanny Dodge or damage reduction. The class should get something akin to Bardic knowledge, but it wouldn't be very powerful if it was only to identify family names...perhaps to identify creasts, sigils, and banners also?
Any ideas you can come up with would be extremely helpful, and appreciated.

Thanks,
Thysl in Silver

Thysl said:
Hello everyone!

Hi there! :)

Thysl said:
So like I said I just read Beowulf (for the first time, and I'm 23, crazy, huh?),

I didn't read Lord of the Rings until I was 26 and had been roleplaying for 14 years...now thats crazy! ;)

Thysl said:
and I made a character to become a Skald (Barbarian/Bard). Last year's Dragon Annual has the progression as 10/10, but I think that a prestige class is called for in this instance.

Never saw last years Dragon Annual :(

I agree that it sounds like a Prestige Class though.

Thysl said:
The ideas I had for powers where 4 new Music abilities; one to create a rage-like effect within a certain radius, one to create a intimidation effect to all in a certain radius (or maybe just one target, we'll see), one that can calm sentient beings, and one that can calm nature (i.e. stormy seas, raging rivers, perhaps small animals with a save). I think that it would get about half as many rages/ day as the barbarian but no Uncanny Dodge or damage reduction. The class should get something akin to Bardic knowledge, but it wouldn't be very powerful if it was only to identify family names...perhaps to identify creasts, sigils, and banners also?

Any ideas you can come up with would be extremely helpful, and appreciated.

Thanks,

Off hand I am not sure exactly what the best way to progress would be. However, there may be a Skald Prestige Class in a number of forthcoming D20 products: I know there is a product specifically devoted to Norse Culture coming out soon (I forget the company but I think it is either James Ward or Rob Kuntz doing it!) possibly even Deities & Demigods may have a Skald Prestige Class(?)

Duganson

First Post
Cool Upper-Krust, I'll look into it.

What are all of your folk's personal ideas of the Skald type character? What would their strongpoints be? Where would they be lacking?
What I think of is the energetic, earthy type fellow, someone people like to like. They are extremely cordial but always have that sense of wildness. Someone who can whip the crowd into a frenzy then calm with a slow song. Knowlegdeable in life experience but not musty book work.

Anything you can add or suggest about your idea of a Skald?

Thysl in Silver

Hi there Thysl :)

Thysl said:
Cool Upper-Krust, I'll look into it.

Found it! Its called Codex Germania - from Troll Lord Games

http://www.trolllord.com/id144.htm

If this doesn't have a Skald Prestige Class I don't know what will!? :confused:

Thysl said:
What are all of your folk's personal ideas of the Skald type character? What would their strongpoints be? Where would they be lacking?

One aspect you might touch upon is their ability to inspire others (to rage). Perhaps at a weakened extent of full rage, say maybe half power. So I agree with your ranged Rage ability.

Thysl said:
What I think of is the energetic, earthy type fellow, someone people like to like. They are extremely cordial but always have that sense of wildness. Someone who can whip the crowd into a frenzy then calm with a slow song. Knowlegdeable in life experience but not musty book work.

Anything you can add or suggest about your idea of a Skald?

You could always touch upon Rune Magic, perhaps 'Rune Telling' (with Rune Stones).

Maybe Druidical Magic progression instead of Arcane?

Duganson

First Post
only Upper-Krust likes me!!!

Thanks Upper-Krust, you're the only one who cares...:(
LOL
Anyway, does anyone have the Codex Germania? If it has Skald stuff I'll buy it but I don't wanna throw money at something and not have what I need.
I'm thinking that I'll keep out bard magic progression and focus on social and battle skills (if anyone can prove to me that the Skald should retain casting abilities I would revise) but Rune magic is a must, thanks!

No one have any Skald stuff they would like to share? I'm not asking you to make the class for me, I just need some constructive, insightful ideas....

Thysl in Silver

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I haven't read Beowulf either... and I'm 31.

What kinds of things does the Skald do?

As far as rage enhancing abilities-

Perhaps a use of bardic music will allow any any friendly barbarians in range to add the bard's charisma modifier to the duration of their rage? Non-barbarians would get something minor- perhaps a bonus to saves against compulsion and fear effects.

Alternatively/additionally, a different use of bardic music might demoralize opponents. They must save vs the skald's perform result or have their rage durations diminished by an amount of time equal to the skald's charisma modifier.

Of course countersong (by even a regular bard) would be a counter remedy.

If the skald is in a setting that has lots to do with boats, songs that help sailing might be good. The pilot could use the skald's perform check instead of his own profession check if the skald's were better, or at least get a +2 aid bonus. The in-game effect would be that the skald's words would steady the ship against the wind and waves, and help it avoid rocks.

The Virtuoso has some Performances that might fit for a Beowulf (There is a Performance that allows allies to rage. Raging should probably handled like Inspire Heroship in regard to the number of inspired creatures. I don`t know how it was with the virtuosos abilities. I don`t have my books here :) )

Duganson

First Post
Thanks guys!
Almost all of your ideas are instated into the class and I will be posting it sometime VERY soon. Writing the Skaldic Music abilities took quite a bit of time and typing it will be even worse, be patient, and thanks for the excellent input!

Thysl in Silver

P.S. I'm thinking the Prestige class is pretty good, so look for it!:D

Remove ads