• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Skald Prestige Class (finally done!)

Duganson

First Post
Here she is kids, the culmination of a months worth of work. Be gentle, be evil, but please, be truthful! I completed this on MS word and the Skaldic Knowledge table didn't convert well, I'll post tomarrow the complete table, sorry.

The Skald
Warrior traditions throughout the realms have revered their poets and storytellers, trusting in them to remember the lineage and tales from the past. As these cultures mature, so do these storytellers. The Skald’s of the Northern Barbarian tradition have had centuries to perfect their art, and perform not only in lodge and hall, but also on the battlefield itself. These poet-warriors learn the method of whipping their compatriots into a wild fury one moment, then placing the fear of death in their enemy the next. They carry specialized knowledge of battle and runic history in the attempt to preserve this knowledge to the next generation of warriors.
Skalds are always multi-class Barbarian/Bards. Sometimes a Skald will take Rogue levels to supplement their skills and abilities, or perhaps Fighter levels for extra feats.
NPC Skalds are most likely seen with a small force of barbarians and is probably leading them at the time. Rarely are Skalds seen away from their home region and if they are, be assured battle will soon be joined.

Hit Die: D8

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any Chaotic
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Skills: Diplomacy 5 ranks, Intimidate 5 ranks, Perform 10 ranks
Special: Bardic Music Ability, Rage Ability

Class Skills:
Bluff (cha), Climb (str), Craft (int), Diplomacy (cha), Intuit Direction (wis), Intimidate (cha), Jump (str), Listen (wis), Perform (cha), Profession (wis), Ride (str), Swim (str), Use Magic Device (cha), Wilderness Lore (wis)
Skill points at each additional level: 4+int modifier

Level BaB Fort Refl Will Special
1 +0 +2 +0 +0 Skaldic Music (Battle Dirge)
Skaldic Knowledge
2 +1 +3 +0 +0 Rage +1/Day
3 +2 +3 +1 +1
4 +3 +4 +1 +1 Skaldic Music (War Chant)
5 +3 +4 +1 +1 Eye of the Storm I
6 +4 +5 +2 +2 Rage +1/Day
7 +5 +5 +2 +2 Skaldic Music (Fugue Verse)
8 +6 +6 +2 +2
9 +6 +6 +3 +3 Eye of the Storm II
10 +7 +7 +3 +3 Skaldic Music (Blood Chant)
Rage +1/Day

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A Skald gains no new proficiencies in weapons or armor.

Skaldic Music: Like the Bard, a Skald receives abilities relying on vocal or musical performance. When a Skald uses a Skaldic Music Ability she must either sing, recite poetry, epic, chant, or play percussive or wind instruments (excluding the trumpet family). She may use these abilities once per day per Skald Class Level. These abilities do not count toward her Bardic Music times per day. When performing the Battle Dirge and Fugue Verse Skaldic Music Abilities the Skald may only move 5 ft per turn. As with casting a spell with a verbal component, deaf Skalds suffer a 20% chance to fail with Skaldic Music. Failed attempts still count toward her daily limit.
Battle Dirge (Ex): The Skald’s presence and performance strikes fear into her enemies. When the Skald reaches 1st level and has 11 Perform ranks she may create an effect similar to the Fear spell, affecting one target per Skald level within 30 ft. Targets must make a Willpower Save at a DC 10+ 1/2 HD+ Cha modifier, these targets cannot be changed after initiation. Targets who fail their save become shaken. After failing a saving throw the target immediatly rolls another save at DC equal to the first, if they fail again they become frightened. If they fail a third time they become panaicked (Pg. 76, DMG). These effects last as long as the Skald performs plus 5 rounds. Battle Dirge is an Extraordinary, Mind-affecting, Fear ability.
War Chant (Su): At 4th level a Skald with 14 ranks in Perform can excite her comrades into a blind fury. Targets affected gain a +2 modifier to Strength and Constitution and a +1 morale bonus to Willpower Saves, but suffer a -1 modifier to their armor class; the Skald cannot target herself with this ability. Targets may not spell cast, use any skills that require patience or concentration, nor use the Expertise feat. This effect lasts for a number of rounds equal to the target’s newly changed Constitution modifier plus 3, or until the Skald stops performing. After this ability’s duration ends the targets become fatigued (-2 to Strength and Dexterity, cannot run) for the duration of the encounter. The Skald can effect a number of targets within 30 ft equal to her Skald Class Level and any targets may make a Willpower Save with a DC equal to 10+Skald Class Level+ Charisma Modifier to resist the effects. War Chant is a Supernatural, Mind-Effecting Ability.
Fugue Verse (Su): When a Skald performs the Fugue Verse she freezes her audience, even in the midst of battle. At 7th level a Skald with 17 ranks in Perform may choose one target per class level within 30 ft, these targets must make a Willpower save with a DC equal to 10+1/2 HD+ Cha modifier. Targets who fail their save held (Pg. 84, DMG), not being able to speak or move for the duration of the performance (as long as the Skald performs plus 2 rounds). Targets that are engaged in melee make another save with a DC equal to the original. Any targets that make their save are immune to the Fugue Verse effects for 24 hours. The Skald may not change targets after the performance is initiated. Fugue Verse is a supernatural, Mind-Effecting, Enchantment (Compulsion) ability.
Blood Chant (Su): At 10th level a Skald with 20 ranks in Perform can inspire her allies into a blood fury. This performance works exactly like War Chant but half the targets (chosen by the Skald) gain a +4 bonus to Strength and Constitution and a +2 bonus to Will saves while receiving a -2 penalty to their armor class. As with War Chant this effect lasts a number of rounds equal to the targets newly changed Constitution modifier plus 3 or until the Skald stops performing. Blood Chant is a Supernatural, Mind-effecting ability.

Skaldic Knowledge: Much like a Bard, a Skald retains tidbits of information during her career. Her knowledge specializes in family crests and genealogy, sigils, runic writing and weapons. A Skald may make a special Skaldic Knowledge check with a modifier of her Skald Class Levels plus her Intelligence modifier to see whether she knows some relevant information on a subject. The check cannot reveal the powers of a magic item but might shed some light on its general function. A Skald cannot take 10 or 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random. The DM will determine the DC of the check by referring to the table below:

DC - Type of Knowledge

5 - Common, Known by the majority of cultures.

10 - Uncommon but available to some, known to minority of cultures.

20 - Obscure, Known to few.

30 - Extremely obscure, almost forgotten lore, possibly known only by cultures who don’t understand the significance of the knowledge.

Rage: At 2nd, 6th, and 10th level the Skald gains an extra rage per day, This ability is the same as the Barbarian rage ability described in the Player’s Handbook.

Eye of the Storm (Ex): Upon reaching 5th level the Skald can attempt to use her Bardic and Skaldic Music abilities while in a rage. Every round that the Skald has a Music effect active while sustaining a rage she must make a Perform check at DC 25 to continue the performance. If the Skald fails this check she loses the Musical effect but continues to rage. The Skald may not initiate another Musical ability as long as one is already in effect.
At 9th level the Skald’s ability to perform and rage simultaneously becomes second nature. Having any single Bardic or Skaldic Music ability active while raging needs no check. Additionally a Skald can initiate another (vocal only) Bardic or Skaldic ability with a perform check every round at DC 35. Multiple Music effects can overlap as long as the Skald continues to make successful Perform checks or until the duration expires on the ability, whichever comes first. A Skald cannot have both the War Chant and Blood Chant abilities performed simultaneously.

Ex-Skalds:
Any Skald who becomes non-chaotic in alignment loses the ability to rage and cannot gain more levels in the class. She retains all other class abilities.

Last edited:

Before you worry why noone answers.
Nice done, but perhaps you should reduce the bonus rage numbers a bit (especially no bonus at first level.)
Perhaps simply say that Barbarian and Skald Levels stack for the purpose of determining Rage Ability (includig Greater Rage and "No longer winded after rage")

Duganson

First Post
Not being winded after a rage is better left to full barbarians...
Do you think I should reduce the # of rages per day? If you went full Barbarianfrom lvl 8-18 you would get more then 3 rages, and that doesn't fit either.

Thysl in Silver

Since he is not a fulltime fighter (no fighter bab progression), he shouldn`t be a full time rager, either. :)

Drop the first Rage at 2nd level, and... hmm....
Increase the number of rages at level 3 and 7 instead (and only then)

For the "skald music".
1st: All abilities should be supernatural, no extraordinary ones, similar to bardic music. Spellike Abilities should really be like spells (the same DCs).
(It fits the usual D&D Methods better :) )

War & Blood Chant
Do you own Song & Silence? T
he Virtuoso has a enraging song ability, and I think it is better to use existing special abilities than new ones.
As an improvement of this abilty I recommend giving "Greater Rage" to allies.
Instead of increasing the Music Costs (A Mechanic I don`t like), you could make it similar to Inspire Heroship. (per every 3 skald levels after the 3rd, a skald can inspire a fury/rage into one additional ally, so a maximum of 4 is reached at level 9)

Battle Dirge & Fugue Verse:
I think it would fit if you make a requirement for intimidate instead of perform, (Even if it is still called "music") but that is up to you.
Battle Dirge should not automatically make the target panick, I recommend to use the full "steps" of moral penalties. (Shaken, Frightened, Panicked.) and the option to use it multiple times per encounter on the same target. (A Frightened Creature that becomes Shakened becomes Panicked according to the rules)
I suggest to make a succesful Battle Dirge a requirement to use Fugue Verse on the target, and the Saving Throw is the DC of a the Cleric`s "Hold Monster" spell. (But the target would be considered cowering, which is in most aspects identically to helpless, if I remember correct.)
(All in one it would be a much more powerful version of Fascination & Suggestion)

---
I already thought about a skald prestige class, and this is one idea I had:
"Taunting Song"
This is a music ability that is mostly founded in the barbarian culture. A Barbarian, especially a leader has to be powerful and impressive. In some Barbarian Cultures, Taunting is an insult, in others it requires just a good "counter"taunt. However, Skalds are especially well trained in taunting, and can use their ability to create effecty by taunting that are beyond common sense (even common barbarian sense)

A Skald with ?? ranks in Perform can taunt one opponent per 3 skald levels. This opponent becomes obsessed by seeking revenge for the taunt. He must make Will Saving Throw against a DC equal to the Skalds Perform Result to avoid the effect.
During a combat, the opponent will immediately start an attack against the skald - even if he is engagend with other opponents (which might even be more dangerous).
He gains a +1 moral bonus on attack and damage rolls against the skald, but suffers a -2 penalty to his armor class due to the reckless nature of his attacks. He may make Attack of Oppertunities against other targets than the skald, but suffers a -4 circumstance penalty (due to his focus on the skald).
(The Skald is exposes itself a certain risk when taunting this way, especially if a barbarian targets decides to rage while fighting the skald. Boots of Striding and Springing or Boots of Speed are a wise equipment for skalds...)

Outside of combat, this ability may give other benefits. A taunted leader that fails the Will Save usually proves weakness that might be used by allies of the skald (or the skald himself) to persuade the leader`s tribe to work for them. Taunting can also be used to make the leader`s opponets especially friendly towards the skald.
For any Diplomacy or Intimidation Checks rolled "against" the audience (the leader`s tribe and so on), the skald or her allies gain a +4 circumstance bonus, and grants also a +2 moral bonus on saving throws versus fear effects caused by the taunted creature. (Including Intimidation Attempts)
The reaction of a leader that is (regardless of the saving throw outcome) depends on the actual society and can greatly vary. (In some cultures, a good taunt is an equivalent to a compliment or a good joke, in others a taunt is an insult and is punished with Death. This can be considered Skald/Bardic Knowledge)

A skald cannot use this ability while hidden or invisible.
---

What Do you think?

Last edited:

Duganson

First Post
[For the "skald music".
1st: All abilities should be supernatural, no extraordinary ones, similar to bardic music. Spellike Abilities should really be like spells (the same DCs).
(It fits the usual D&D Methods better )

Mustrum, The reason I made Battle Dirge an extraordinary ability is to make it immune to antimagic stuff, it adds a bit of resilience that the Bard doesn't have. As for Battle Dirge, I copied the Fear spell almost completely except for the -2 to skill checks. That spell creates a 50% chance to drop what's in your hand and run, why shouldn't the Skaldic Music ability do the same? Granted the DC for the performance can be pretty high, perhaps I'll change it to another skill check, I won't, however, castrate it by giving it a fixed spell DC.

War & Blood Chant
Do you own Song & Silence? The Virtuoso has a enraging song ability, and I think it is better to use existing special abilities than new ones.
As an improvement of this abilty I recommend giving "Greater Rage" to allies.
Instead of increasing the Music Costs (A Mechanic I don`t like), you could make it similar to Inspire Heroship. (per every 3 skald levels after the 3rd, a skald can inspire a fury/rage into one additional ally, so a maximum of 4 is reached at level 9)

I do have Song and Silence, but I didn't use that ability as a template. In Masters of the Wild one of the PrCs (can't remember the name) Gives a similar ability at 7 or 8 character levels. at 11 character levels I think that the performance is balanced and makes sense.

Battle Dirge should not automatically make the target panick, I recommend to use the full "steps" of moral penalties. (Shaken, Frightened, Panicked.) and the option to use it multiple times per encounter on the same target. (A Frightened Creature that becomes Shakened becomes Panicked according to the rules)
I suggest to make a succesful Battle Dirge a requirement to use Fugue Verse on the target, and the Saving Throw is the DC of a the Cleric`s "Hold Monster" spell. (But the target would be considered cowering, which is in most aspects identically to helpless, if I remember correct.)
(All in one it would be a much more powerful version of Fascination & Suggestion)

Once agian this would SERIOUSLY castrate the power of the class.
The Fear spell is 4th level and it grants the same ability as Battle Dirge, would it make sense to make the targets shaken? Are you suggesting that they lose morale as the performance continues? That could work but I think I would raise the duration to +5 rounds instead of +2.

Mustrum, do you think that the class is overpowered? Your suggestions are all to lower it's effectiveness in combat.

Any other comments, suggestions? Do you agree with Mustrum? Please...?:(

Thysl in Silver

I am not sure if it is overpowered. Only playtesting will tell.
My suggestions are only based in "knowing the other rules". :)
I always prefer it not to create completely new things but instead copying ideas of other sources out of core materials (or pseudo core material like the class books).

I understand the thing with the extra ordinary ability, but I am not sure if it really fits the concept of bardic music. Anyway, I don`t think it would make a real balance problem.

2Battle Dirge & Fugue Verse: I just liked the idea of making it a far better version of the Bardic Ability "Fascinate" and "Suggestion". If you make it the same way as with it (Fascinate does count againt the daily music limit, but Suggestion doesn`t), I think the power wouldn`t be castrated to much.
Battle Dirge`s DC would be set by the Perform (or Intimidate Check), and I think the idea of "stacking" the moral penalties by simply concentrating on the song is nice (and that was not what I had in mind. :) )
Fugue Verse should work like... Hmm. like Hold Monster (spellike Ability, only working on "dirged" targets, not counting against music limit), but change the Description to "cowering". (ruleswise, no much difference, but for flavor it is important, I think.) I believe the DC would be 16, and that is a difficult DC for any opponent that is realistically subject of fear effects. (No Dragons, Fireballcasting Wizards, but Warriors, animals, some beasts and so on). (If I am wrong with the DC, than I suggest "breaking the standard rules" and allow to add the Charisma Modifier to the DC. Or, if you feel better with it, using, once again, the skill check result)
Be aware that casting a spell "nearly" at will is very powerful, especially a spell that leads fast to instant kills (like Hold Monster). (So even my ideas might still be to powerful if you don`t let it count against the Music limit)

About "pseudo"rage effects: I don`t worry much about the idea. I didn`t know (or remember) that there was this MotW Prestige Class (I got the book yesterday) with such an ability. Both might fit, though I prefer the Virtuoso`s abilty. :)

Mustrum Ridcully

PS: Hmm. I see, reaction toward house rules ideas is really slow. :)

Duganson

First Post
Mustrum,
I don't know if 'slow' is the word I would use...perhaps if I really wan't to be nice...anyway...

As soon as my DM has a chance to look at this I might change things around a bit. You might be right on the Fugue Verse DC thing, I'll see what he has to say, perhaps I'll role up the character that I made the PrC for at 7th lvl Skald to see if that Perform check as DC thing is cool. It's bound to be high, but in brainstorming for the abilities I always pictured the Skald taking on hordes of lower level opponents, not a few equal DC critters.

So, at first glance the class doesn't look too over-powered? Of course play-testing will be the mark of it, but I don't want to waste time rolling dice when the whole thing is fudged up to begin with, you know?

If any of you in Cyber-land have an opinion feel free to voice it, I swear you won't hurt my feelings.

Thysl in Silver

P.S. Thanks, Mustrum!:D

Hohoho, I am not through with it yet.
"Last night, I had a dream" ... oh, well, that has nothing to do with the skald... It was before I fall asleep. :) (Isn`t it horrible that, before falling asleep, I think of prestige classes of people I will never see personally or I will never play with? :) )

A think I just had in mind, without dice rolling: A character who qualifes for battle dirge has 11 ranks in perform, right? That can be achieved at 8th level. A tough enemy at that level would have a CR of 12. Let`s make it easy, assume a Cleric Level 12 (best Will Save available, except probably for a paladin. But paladins are immune to fear, aren`t they?)
Assuming 25 point-buy (the usual npc stats use this), he would have base Wisdom 15; +3 from bonus points, +4 from magic equipment, total of 22, bonus +6. Will Save is 2 + 2/3 x cleric level, right (I can`t remember the exact formula), so it would be +6 + 2 + 8 = 16.
A barbarian/bard/skald at 8th level (25 point buy) will have base charisma 15 (perhaps lower, but assume the "worst" case), +1 bonus (I think he will spend one of them on strength or dexterity to have better combat abilities), +2 from magic items. Total Charisma 18, bonus +4. Total Skill bonus is +15.
He might have a Circlet of Persuasion (+2 on all charisma based skill checks) so it could also be +17.
If Battle Dirge would make the cleric panic on a failed save, this would be a 50% chance that the guy meaned to be a real thread for the whole group could be defeated by a single use of skald music. (Panicked creatures are unable to make anything useful expect fleeing).
Three choices:
1) You and the DM think this is fair. No problem with it. It`s your game (a nice way to say: You are completely insane and I will refuse any knowledge of your existance! :) )
2) You want to reduce the DC.
3) You want to reduce the effect.

I would go for 3. Instead panicking the opponent, just shaken. That is already terrible impressive, I think. :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Duganson

First Post
Ahh haaa!!
No more impressive than the Fear Spell available to Wizards of eighth level! #2 is the prefered path now, my friend!!!
{insert EVIL laugh here}

Thysl in Silver

Remove ads