• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E The Slaying Stone

Klaus

First Post
This past weekend I introduced my 10-year-old son to D&D by adapting the 4e adventure The Slaying Stone, by Logan Bonner. It's one of my favorites, and I used it in a playtest two years ago. But first, the characters:

- Sparks. Dragonborn (Bronze) Ranger 1 Outlander. My son made up the concept (Aragorn + Boba Fett + Smaug!), and I built him up. I went with a Strength build, so this unusual ranger goes around in scale armor + shield + battleaxe. Favored Enemies are goblins and kobolds (common pests in the mountainous setting we'll be playing in), and Natural Explorer makes him awesome in mountains. He loved lining up his enemies and using his lightning breath on them.

- Gwen, Firre of Cendriane. Half-Elf Druid 1 Noble. My wife wanted to play a character like Queen Tara, from the animated movie "Epic", so I made up a minor noble from the lost Feywild city of Cendriane (she's a half-elf due to an old political marriage between the elves of Cendriane and a human kingdom). Her "scroll of pedigree" is actually her scimitar, which has her lineage etched into the blade. The spells she used the most were Thorn Whip, Entangle, Thunderwave and Cure Wounds.

- Dorn. Human Fighter 1 Urchin. Survivor of the fall of Kiris Dan (the ruined city where The Slaying Stone takes place), who became a soldier of fortune. The player (a friend of ours) is aiming at Battlemaster, so for his human feat I chose Martial Adept, so he can begin getting the hang of maneuvers from level 1. His Second Wind was a literal lifesaver more than once. His "City Secrets" trait allowed the party to navigate Kiris Dan quickly.

Inspired by the adventure cover (by Ralph Horsley), I decided to ramp up the notion that Kiris Dan was a town that relied on magic for its protection. That meant that, in addition to the titular Slaying Stone, there were lots of constructs that ran amok when the city fell. I used a lot of reskinning to create those constructs.

The group navigated the city ruins, with some flavor encounters here and there. I opted to end with them acquiring the Stone, instead of dragging it out with a fight against the hobgoblin leaders.

The encounters (in a 4-hour session) were:

- 4 iron defenders (mastiff);
- 6 awakened shrubs;
- 2 kobolds;
- 1 goblin, 1 crossbow turret (bandit); 2 stonefist defenders (goats);
- 2 rat swarms (both warriors dropped to 0 hp against these! The druid cure the human, who dragged the dragonborn away while the druid used Thunderwave to push the swarms away);
- 1 Adult bronze dragon (roleplaying only).

In the end, I let them level up to 2, thanks to the additional quest XP. The dragonborn went with the Dueling fighting style, and the druid opted for the Circle of the Land (Forest).

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Very cool! I had a good time running TSS a few years ago and always thought it was a fun adventure! How's the 5E conversion going so far?

Klaus

First Post
Very cool! I had a good time running TSS a few years ago and always thought it was a fun adventure! How's the 5E conversion going so far?

I've found that it is better to just create new encounters based on the PCs you have, than to try and force the adventure to fit. A 1st-level 4e adventure calls for 3rd-level (or so) 5e PCs (based on the CRs of orcs, etc). So I just built several 1st-level encounters and threw then into the adventure bones. These were for 3 PCs:

Easy:
2 iron defenders (mastiffs)
2 kobolds

Moderate:
2 rat swarms (this ended up being almost deadly)
6 awakened shrubs
2 goblins
3 kobolds
1 goblin + 1 wolf
1 goblin + 2 stonefist defenders (goats) + 1 crossbow turret (bandit)

Hard:
1 animated suit of armor
1 drake (tiger)
1 hobgoblin + 1 mastiff
1 goblin + 1 worg
4 stirges
4 iron defenders (mastiffs)

Deadly:
1 hobgoblin + 1 worg
2 orcs

Then I built an encounter guideline, separating the encounters in 100 XP chunks (which is how many encounters the PCs could face before a short rest). After 3 of these chunks, they'd have to take a long rest. I ended up with:

A. 4 iron defenders
long rest at Dreona's
B. 6 awakened shrubs (in the approach through the woods near Kiris Dan)
C. 2 kobolds
short rest
D. goblin + 2 stonefist defenders + crossbow turret (at the library)
E. 2 rat swarms (at the moon temple -- they had to retreat)
short rest (they ended up taking their long rest here)
F. Animated Suit or armor (at the moon temple)
long rest at Thiatys' lair (not needed, because they took their long rest early)
G. 1 hobgoblin + 1 worg (didn't run this, since we ran out of time)

I also wrote down two quests: find the Slaying Stone (200 XP) and Killing the hobgoblin leader (100 XP)

Klaus

First Post
Why do you like the adventure?

It's not a straight up dungeon crawl, and it gives the PCs a lot of freedom in the exploration of the ruined city. There's at least one monster that is way out of their league, and the combats that are there have some neat, inventive angles. Plus, it gives the DM tools to add more roleplaying (with the different factions), more investigation (the true intent of the PCs' benefactors is open-ended). Finally, the battlemaps are very useful.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I ran this adventure back in late 2010, and I thought it was pretty good. I think it's a good intro for new players, as it allows for some open-endedness in approach without being overwhelming. I also liked how it provided some PC backgrounds specific to the adventure.

I think that it would probably play better under 5e. When we played it, it took us four 4-5 hour sessions to get through the whole adventure; that's 9 combat encounters total, and you got through 5 in one session!

Have you re-designed the encounters with Elite and Solo monsters? I'm curious as to how you approached those.

Klaus

First Post
I ran this adventure back in late 2010, and I thought it was pretty good. I think it's a good intro for new players, as it allows for some open-endedness in approach without being overwhelming. I also liked how it provided some PC backgrounds specific to the adventure.

I think that it would probably play better under 5e. When we played it, it took us four 4-5 hour sessions to get through the whole adventure; that's 9 combat encounters total, and you got through 5 in one session!

Have you re-designed the encounters with Elite and Solo monsters? I'm curious as to how you approached those.

Like I said, I didn't try to mimic the exact encounter, because the power levels of 4e and 5e PCs don't match. I just built appropriate encounters using the XP budget for a 1st level party of 3, and spread them throughout the adventure. For "solos" and "elites", I'd be tempted to just use a higher-CR monster (like using an orog for that lone orc lady).

SoulsFury

Explorer
I ran the Slaying Stone in 4th Edition and Kiris Dahn is now called the Hot Springs. The bronze dragon (if I remember right, the adventure used brass, but IMC it made more sense to be a bronze). It is now a major town controlled by the bronze dragon, and the hot springs are used to make healing potions. I remember it being a fun adventure. I liked several of WotCs low level 4th edition adventures. There are a few I probably haven't used that I may convert one day.

Remove ads