• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E The Soonest You Would Purchase 4e

When is the soonest you would buy a 4e release? (Select only one)

• First half of 2007 (before June 2007)

Votes: 49 14.6%
  • Second half of 2007 (before Christmas)

Votes: 27 8.0%

Votes: 54 16.1%

Votes: 28 8.3%

Votes: 86 25.6%
  • I will n to buy 4e, regardless of when it is released.

Votes: 92 27.4%

Seeker95

First Post
We all know there will be a 4th edition. Exactly what that 4th edition will be is, and will continue to be, a matter of discussion, debate and speculation, until it is released, at which point it will be a matter of discussion, debate and condemnation.

A question that comes up in the speculation is a matter of *when* it will be released. Just for my own curiosity, when is the soonest release date you would be willing to purchase a 4th edition core rule set?

Hammerhead

Explorer
The answer would depend...if I liked the rules more than third edition, I'd buy it now. If I didn't, I wouldn't buy it (unless it became so popular that I would be forced to if I wanted a D&D game).

smootrk

First Post
I will likely be skipping 4e, much like I essentially skipped 2ed, and most of 3.0ed. I have invested too heavily on 3.5 stuff (and some discounted 3.0 stuff) to jump into a new edition.

I figure that my books may need updating in about 10 years from now, when the world is getting onto 5th edition or maybe 6th edition.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
For me, whether I bought it or not would largely depend on what was in it; whether it offered up enough new ideas, either for adoption into my existing game or to justify a wholesale changeover, to make it worth buying. The timing is largely irrelevant.

Lanefan

Wyrm Pilot

First Post
AD&D: 1978
AD&D 2nd Edition: 1989
D&D 3e: 2000

Shouldn't 4e be in 2011? I'd be willing to go for 2010, but no earlier.

Cheers,
Wyrm Pilot

Who am I kidding? I'd pre-order it on Amazon now if it was an option. So would most people here I suspect. I'd rather not see it for a couple years at least, but I'm a sucker for new game systems and I wouldn't be able to pass it up.

bytor4232

First Post
Hammerhead said:
The answer would depend...if I liked the rules more than third edition, I'd buy it now. If I didn't, I wouldn't buy it (unless it became so popular that I would be forced to if I wanted a D&D game).

I agree. I won't be the first one in line. I have more WOTC, OGL, and other material that I've written myself. Converting won't be something I'd be looking forward to.

I'd like to stick with 3rd edition untill it was almost impossible to find players for the system. I don't see that happening for a while after 4th hits the shelves. I'm sure I'll be DMing and playing 3rd edition games well into the next decade, weather or not 4th edition is on the shelves or not.

However, more than likely I'll dive into 4th ed like everyone else will. I plan on starting slowly this time. Pick up the PHB one month, the DMG after that, then the MM. After that, who knows. Eventually I see myself running both third and fourth edition games.

The only thing preventing this is 4th edition being total and complete garbage. Thats not very likely, but who knows. My dream is that its at least somewhat compatible with third edition, so that everything on my shelf isn't isolated from it. I'm hoping stuff like Draconomicon, Races, and Environment series will still work.

Yeah right. I can dream can't I?

On an unrelated topic, my guess as to the release date of 4th edition is Christmas 2008. It just doesn't seem like its even on WOTC's radar. No real hints, no rumblings, nothing. 2008 will be the year of the spindown, then 4th will fly onto the shelves by christmas.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads