• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Soulknife: How does it play?

Andor said:
The monk comparison is interesting to me. It hadn't occured to me and I think that may have been what they were going for.

That having been said I think as a monk analogue I think they are a failure.
I'm not so sure that that is what they were going for; I kinda got the impression that they were like a psionic fantasy Jedi Guardian. Which is why I was a bit mystified that they don't have fighter BAB, maybe, especially in light of the fact that they don't (IMO) have any compensating features that help them accomplish their primary goal as effectively as the standard classes accomplish theirs. It kinda has the feeling of overcompensation to make sure it's not too powerful; the end result is it's a tad bit weak.

Voadam

Legend
Joshua Dyal said:
I'm not so sure that that is what they were going for; I kinda got the impression that they were like a psionic fantasy Jedi Guardian. Which is why I was a bit mystified that they don't have fighter BAB, maybe, especially in light of the fact that they don't (IMO) have any compensating features that help them accomplish their primary goal as effectively as the standard classes accomplish theirs. It kinda has the feeling of overcompensation to make sure it's not too powerful; the end result is it's a tad bit weak.

I think they are a direct rip off of Psylocke from X-men, a psionic telepath with a psi-knife who turned into an assassin when she went bad.

In 3.0 psionics it was a prestige class. I love it in its 3.5 version for the style and mechanics of its powers (perfect for pbp, no slots, points, or uses per day to keep track of) even though it lacks a bunch of punch for a combat concept.

Voadam said:
I think they are a direct rip off of Psylocke from X-men, a psionic telepath with a psi-knife who turned into an assassin when she went bad.
Oh, no doubt that was a major inspiration.
Voadam said:
In 3.0 psionics it was a prestige class. I love it in its 3.5 version for the style and mechanics of its powers (perfect for pbp, no slots, points, or uses per day to keep track of) even though it lacks a bunch of punch for a combat concept.
Exactly. Another reason why giving it fighter BAB seems to make it more what I'd expect of the class, frankly.

Bump for great justice! Also because a similar discussion is infecting one of MerricB's "products of 2006 thread" and by making this thread immediately obvious, maybe the tangent will migrate.

Any other comments on the soulknife?

Aust Diamondew

First Post
We once did a single shot level 7 adventure, one of the PCs decided to be a soul knife. The soul knife while good, wasn't on par with the party fighter it seemed to me, I think good BAB would have rectified this, but who knows.

griff_goodbeard

First Post
I've played both the core Soulknife, and THIS Soulknife variant by Blainetog. I found the core SK to be a bit behing the power curve compared to the rest of his party, and the aformentioned variant to be nicely balanced 1-20

Last edited:

griff_goodbeard said:
I've played both the core Soulknife, and THIS Soulknife variant by Blainetog. I found the core SK to be a bit behing the power curve compared to the rest of his party, and the aformentioned variant to be nicely balanced 1-20
That does look pretty good, but I have to ask why such an overhaul when even he admits that a good quick fix is changing the BAB progression. What he does really changes the focus of the class from a more frontline type of class to a more psychic ninja/stealth something or other. It's a good alternative, but what was the motivation for such an overhaul, I wonder?

Also, OT and FYI, I browse the boards in Stealth mode as I imagine many do; I have to highlight your posts to see them when you put them in that color.

griff_goodbeard

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
Also, OT and FYI, I browse the boards in Stealth mode as I imagine many do; I have to highlight your posts to see them when you put them in that color.

Sorry about that, after I posted, I went to edit the link and ended up screwing up the whole post which resulted in the wierd color.:p

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
Well, I play a single class Warforged Soulknife, and I'm pretty happy - but thanx for the feats, anyway. Eric, you just did me a big fav!

-IT

Last edited:

Setanta

First Post
IMC, I give soulknives the better BAB progression, and it seems to work fine. I have thought about more elaborate solutions that would provide more flavour, though. One thing I've thought of is giving them more choices for mind blade enhancements, like BlaineTog has done. However, what do people think of allowing the bane enhancement? It seems like having the ability to swap it out would make it very powerful.

Remove ads