• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The Star Pact Handicap

Cryptos

First Post
Why is it that if you stick within your pact powers, a Fey Warlock gets powers that all derive their attack from Charisma, while an Infernal Warlock has gets powers that all derive from their Constitution, but a Star Pact Warlock has to keep up both Charisma and Constitution to get by if they stay within their pact's powers? Do they really think that the pact boon makes that much of a difference?

While making a Star Pact Warlock for someone and seeing they should ideally have high CHA and CON if they want all their powers from their pact, then I looked at the Fey powers and saw: Charisma, Charisma, Charisma... Charisma, all the way through. I then looked Infernal and saw: Constitution, Constitution, Constitution... Constitution all the way through. Star Pact is about 50-50, it seems.

Sure, with the pact boon you can apply +1 to your attack bonuses IF you've spent a minor action to curse the target first and IF you hit the target, WHEN you kill it, PROVIDED you spend that +1 in your very next turn, AND spend the bonus on an attack roll.

Yes, it goes up to +2 if you spend feat to improve the pact boon.

Yes, you could take two minor cursing actions, then spend your action point to attack twice. But then you're spending your action point - you should be doing that for a tactical benefit. And you're only doing that once. For a +2 bonus that you might use on your next attack roll. This assumes you hit both times, and kill both times.

And yes, you could spend minor action after minor action cursing things and then (if I'm reading this right) get someone else, say a wizard, to lay down an AoE that kills them all at once, so you get a +1 (or +2 with the feat) for each cursed target killed, but none of this seems so unbalancing that Star Pact Warlocks should have to divide their stats, whereas other warlocks don't really have to.

Consider that you're not getting the bonus on your first attack; you're only getting the bonus if you can manage to do four things: curse, attack (and hit), kill, and then get to attack next turn; or if you're going for a big bonus via a coordinated mass killing in one round, you're not contributing anything to the group, just walking around cursing things. Also consider that you may not necessarily be putting that bonus into an attack roll, as it can apply to any roll you need to make on your next turn. So if you really need to make a saving throw, or a skill check (as with warlocks with thievery in a combined trap / combat encounter), or ability check, then you've still got a lower attack bonus on average than other warlocks that can focus on a single stat.

Compared to teleporting every time you make a kill (which is a great defensive option along with the warlock's ranged attacks) or gaining temporary hit points equal to your level (probably the lamest option as I didn't think temp. hit points stacked), yeah, the Star Pact boon is good, but I wouldn't say it's so good that it's reasonable that the character only has high Charisma and Constitution, with no other decent stats (and the feat or character building options that come with them), or a lower attack bonus on at least half of your pact's attacks.

To make Star Pact pay off from 1st level, I feel like I'm either looking at Half-Elf for both the Con and Cha bonuses (and still pretty much only having high con and cha on a 22 point buy), being forced to choose the Improved pact feat at 1st level, or both. Before I got the books, this was looking to be one of my favorite classes / pacts based on flavor. But it seems extremely limiting if you want it to work halfway decent from 1st level.

(Edit: And if you take Half-Elf for both CON and CHA to be a Star Pact warlock, whatever you choose for your racial power is going to have a very low attack bonus, wasting the racial power.)

It just seems like it's one of the most limiting class options. I've been making pre-gens for one of my groups, and so far I've been able to get both the mechanical and the flavor of all the character concepts requested or conceived pretty well. I'm liking the new system, but I think they went overboard in handicapping this one pact.

Is it just me? I guess I just don't agree that the required split ability focus is an appropriate trade-off for the pact's boon.

Last edited:

Cryptos

First Post
Kyrail said:
I do believe similar bonuses don't stack, so just the normal +1/+2 I think.

That would make Star Pact an even worse option.

But it does say the bonus is cumulative in the description.

VannATLC

First Post
As far as I can see, it is an untyped bonus, so it does, indeed, stack, but (I don't have the books) I believe the pact boon entry itself indicates the bonus maxes out at +3?

Why do you want every star pact power? The intent is to allow warlock's of all types to take powers from a variety of sources. If they made star all con, then fey pact warlock's would have no choice but to take all fey powers. The same problem will arise for infernal if star was all con. As it stands, a warlock of any type can pick a stat and have a reasonable array of powers.

As a star pact warlock who picks one stat or the other, there will be a couple levels when miss out on a power that gains benefit from the star pact (for example, Frigid Darkness if you've chosen Cha), but there are always going to be other powers of that level that are based on your stat.

If you really do want every star power and nothing else, it's a tough road. But why do you want that? Even if you're going for concept, there are more than a few powers of the other pacts that have a "star-like" feel.

On the whole, star does have a small power selection disadvantage because they need both stats if they always want to pick powers that gain star-pact benefit. On the other hand, I do think their pact power is a touch better. Misty Step is great and can be a lifesaver, but many times you don't need to move and the power is wasted. Temp hit points are powerful, especially at higher level, but they don't stack, so you get no benefit if you're wracking up a lot of kills but they're taking down the fighter or the mage instead of you. By contrast, it's hard to think of a situation where getting a bouns to hit isn't a great deal, and the fact that it can stack means that you'll be tearing things up in fights with lots of minions - especially when you're higher level, can curse two people at a time, and can kill large groups with aoe. A high level star pact warlock could easily mark 4 minions using a minor and a move action, kill them all with a standard, and then get +8 to hit with their daily on the big boss the very next round.

There is no maximum to the star pact stacking - +3 is just used as an example in the text.

Last edited:

Cryptos

First Post
Torquin Trebuchet said:
Why do you want every star pact power? The intent is to allow warlock's of all types to take powers from a variety of sources. If they made star all con, then fey pact warlock's would have no choice but to take all fey powers. The same problem will arise for infernal if star was all con. As it stands, a warlock of any type can pick a stat and have a reasonable array of powers.

For the couple of Star Pact characters I was working on, the pact's powers made the most sense. And going strictly by the rulebook, for At-Will powers you only get your Pact's at-will and the Eldritch Blast. You can do CON on both of them, but then the Star Pact's encounter and daily are CHA. So you're either avoiding half your own pact's powers at 1st level, or you're accepting a lower bonus, probably in your per encounter and daily power.

So, based on what you're saying, for someone that wants to stay within their pact, the Fey Warlock turns out great and the Infernal Warlock turns out great. For someone that wants to dabble, everyone turns out great. But for the benefit of the Fey and Infernal dabblers, the Star Pact warlock purist - and only the Star Pact Warlock - has to pay the price. That doesn't seem right to me. If it was to be to the benefit of those dipping into the other pact's powers, shouldn't it be that way for all the pacts? Or make the flavor on all of them more generic and make half the powers CON, half the powers CHA, and completely pact neutral?

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Since you get a +1 to two ability scores each time you get an increase (or all of them at 11 and 21), it's easy to keep both abilities up to par. Odds are one will be only 2-4 points behind the other, which means those spells will have 1-2 less attack and damage. Not a huge deal.

I would maintain that the star pact's power is better. I've play tested a high level warlock a bit, and I have a low level one in my campaign. Both infernal and fey have good, but situational powers. Star has a power that is useful every time it comes up, and can be used in ways like i described above to tremendous effect.

Choosing both abilities does have an added benefit (beyond more HPs and better use of your Cha skills) - not only can you pick all star powers, but you can pick any warlock power you want. Of course, that doesn't help with the situation you're describing.

Ultimately, I think star was written the way it was because it was the lesser of two (three?) evils. Better to hamper a pure star build a bit than to make a pure fey or infernal mandatory. Personally, I find it to be manageable, and I haven't avoided a star warlock as written because of it.

However, if it disturbs you greatly, perhaps your DM would be amenable to allowing you to pick the stat for each star power, as is allowed with eldritch blast?

Falling Icicle said:
Since you get a +1 to two ability scores each time you get an increase (or all of them at 11 and 21), it's easy to keep both abilities up to par. Odds are one will be only 2-4 points behind the other, which means those spells will have 1-2 less attack and damage. Not a huge deal.
Exactly, the major difference is not that you get penalties to hit, but that your int is lower, and you'll get less out of the encounter powers which give int based bonuses. This is not actually some huge deal.

Surgoshan

First Post
You have a pact that puts a premium on maximizing one stat, a second pact that puts the premium on maximizing another stat, and a third pact that prefers a balance between the two.

Works for me.

Remove ads