• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

The surprise round and you

Athinar

Explorer
So my 1st and 2nd Ed days came back again for the Invisibility Spell that could make something invisible

damn 5th Ed (made for people with ADD)

so the Halfling Assassin uses the DUST OF DISAPPEARANCE on the d@mn arrow

Last edited:

S

Sunseeker

The way I run it, the "surprise round" happens before initiative even takes place. You bust down the door, sneak up on a guy, otherwise show up while they are unprepared for your appearance. They are "surprised" you are even there. It takes them that half-round to get their brains in gear and jump into combat.

It's not the assassin aiming, or pulling the trigger, or sneaking into position that starts combat. It's that first bolt flying out of the crossbow, or that first dagger strike in the back. THAT starts combat. Assuming the rogue fails to kill the target, THEN we roll initiative. But otherwise the guard is completely unaware that the rogue is even there and thus can't even make an initiative check.

zaratan

First Post
I have a question about surprise round with multiple targets.

Exemple: enemies in different locations trying to surprise players.
Stealth test:
enemy 1 = 17
enemy 2 = 14
enemy 3 = 8

Passive perception:
Player 1 = 18
Player 2 = 15
Player 3 =9

So, player 1 perceive every enemy, player 2 was surprised by 1 enemy and player 3 for 2. How surprise round will work in that case?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
I have a question about surprise round with multiple targets.

Exemple: enemies in different locations trying to surprise players.
Stealth test:
enemy 1 = 17
enemy 2 = 14
enemy 3 = 8

Passive perception:
Player 1 = 18
Player 2 = 15
Player 3 =9

So, player 1 perceive every enemy, player 2 was surprised by 1 enemy and player 3 for 2. How surprise round will work in that case?
Because members of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t, you'll determine which player is surprised and which one isn't (P2 & P3 for exemple haven't notice a threat) and then run the 1st round accordingly.

Surprise: A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
Because members of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t, you'll determine which player is surprised and which one isn't (P2 & P3 for exemple haven't notice a threat) and then run the 1st round accordingly.

Surprise: A member of a group can be surprised even if the other members aren’t.

Yes that part I know. But they notice enemy 3, so they can act against enemy 3? Enemy 3 will not act? Player 2 and 3 can't act but they don't grant advantage against enemy 3 and can use reaction in it?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Yes that part I know. But they notice enemy 3, so they can act against enemy 3? Enemy 3 will not act? Player 2 and 3 can't act but they don't grant advantage against enemy 3 and can use reaction in it?
Jeremy Crawford wrote in a recent Sage Advice: "You can be surprised even if your companions aren’t, and you aren’t surprised if even one of your foes fails to catch you unawares." http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

So in your exemple no PCs would be surprised because each one at least notice 1 threat who failed to catch him unaware.

Last edited:

zaratan

First Post
Jeremy Crawford wrote in a recent Sage Advice: "You can be surprised even if your companions aren’t, and you aren’t surprised if even one of your foes fails to catch you unawares." http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-november-2015

So in your exemple no PCs would be surprised because each one at least notice 1 threat who failed to catch him unaware.

This doesn't looks right to me. So if 10 enemies try stealth check and only 1 pass, the entire group will be surprised even if the other 9 failed?

In that case is better use stealth to surprise as a group test agaist each player. If 50%+ pass in stealth, each player that fail will be surprised by all enemies.

But I think I'll rule something close to my last option in last post.

MechaPilot

Explorer
This doesn't looks right to me. So if 10 enemies try stealth check and only 1 pass, the entire group will be surprised even if the other 9 failed?

No. If only one passes, then 9 have failed ". . . to catch you unawares." The quote says "that if even one . . . fails to catch you unawares" then you are not surprised.

Koren

Explorer
The title of this thread shows one of the biggest misunderstandings of surprise in 5e. There is NO surprise round. There is no "you are surprising someone and get free actions" in 5e. There is only "you are surprised and cannot move or take actions on your first turn in the combat or use reactions".

As others have said, if you perceive even one opponent then you are not surprised and act normally during your first turn.

Remove ads